Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Scarleteen volunteer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scarleteen volunteer?
KayJayA16
Activist
Member # 31241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KayJayA16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarleteen..

I was just wondering..How do you become a Scarleteen volunteer??

Posts: 78 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Volunteers are picked from time to time by Heather and us Volunteers. To be considered, you should have shown that you have an interested in helping other posters, offered helpful advice and demonstrated that you know how to link to our articles and other posts wherever appropriate. Furthermore, you should show that you understand the policies and guidelines of ST and are prepared to uphold them. Also, we look for a minimum of about 50 posts.

But hey: we encourage all of our uses to participate in discussions and answer posts wherever they can, so Volunteer or no, do go ahead and help out if you want to. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayJayA16
Activist
Member # 31241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KayJayA16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answering, I have one question... the answers I get from volunteers, can be trusted, right? Meaning, I can really on the answers I get as a poster?
Posts: 78 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rest assured, we do our homework. All Volunteers have to have read all of the articles on the site (which are well-researched and always updated should new info present itself), and there are reliable sources that we use for reference on medical information. And if anyone is ever not sure of how to answer, they don't answer, and instead pass it on to someone who does know.

That said, we are not medical doctors and cannot diagnose or treat anything over the internet. Neither are we psychologists. All we can do is give advice, and point our users towards professional help when that is called for.

[ 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(If you want further information about the volunteers here at ST, you should check out the Staff & Volunteer Bios that are available on the main site.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add a question I have... is there an age requirment for being a volunteer?

I've found myself becoming increasingly addicted to this site, and I do hope oneday to be a volunteer... But just wondering, what age do y'all look at in general?

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Age isn't a official requirement- JamsessionVT was pretty young when she became a volunteer, for example, I think she was 16 or 17 (correct me if I'm wrong, Abbie!), though I do think Heather tends to lean towards volunteers at least being older teens. Most of the volunteers are college-age.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks Lea! I'll keep on hoping to be picked when the next "draft" of volunteers comes around.. Haha.. Thanks!
Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, you got it right Lea, I was 17 I think.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Well, I'm 18 so maybe I'll have some luck. Like I said, I'm pretty much obsessed with this website, and it all kindof fits in with what I want to with my life.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that Heather prefers older teen volunteers.. it's just that most the people who have the maturity and stuff it takes happen to be older. Younger teens have just as much of a chance. :)
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Oh, I totally understand. Just wondering though, thanks...
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

But Hint hint heather, hahah, I really wanna be a volunteer! hit me up during ur next drafting process, lol...
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep you eyes peeled periodically here Hs. When Heather is looking for a new round of volunteers she places a post in this section where you can sign up, and then she checks back through to see how helpful you are to other users seeking advice, whether or not your advice is valid, if you can link articles to your posts (full reply form - URL).

Really though, we encourage all of our who want to help others to do so as much as they can. It's helpful for posters asking questions in the main section to recieve feedback from members as well as from staff and volunteers. [Smile]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Thanks. Yeah, Ive seen the posts for volunteers, I just had a lot of personal stuff going on and wasn't really ready to take on being a volunteer. But now that things have calmed down, and I'm graduating, and I'll be home for summer, it's something I'd like to do. Also, I know it'll be easier for me next year since I'm taking a year off before I go to college...

And I love posting even if I'm not a volunteer. But I wish I could be of more help! I enjoy responding to posts, I've most definitely become addicted to this site, there's always a window with it opened on my computer that I just keep refreshing... haha

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear for everyone right now, we've pretty much got the boards covered for the time being, so I won't likely want to train in new vols any time soon.

For future reference, there is no age requirement at all. In fact, I very much prefer to have a good range and as many peer-age volunteers as I can find. It's just less common that those on the younger end follow through on volunteering or offer themselves up TO volunteer.

But we always appreciate interest, and will always let folks know when we are looking for new volunteers! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Cool. Thanks for the info Heather.
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you guys are looking for volunteers, will you only post the oppurtunity here or at the other subject areas as well? Thanks!

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are getting there, but just FYI, with mods, while 50 posts as a minimum is a need, we also usually want to ask new mods in who have been around for a few months or more. Often, people will get excited about being here at first, but then vanish over a short period of time. That's obviously fine for users...but not so dine for mods. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.