Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » I like what you have here.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I like what you have here.
quest
Neophyte
Member # 32032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found you. i have been looking for a place to let my 12 yo daughter find information. fromwhat i read there is lots of good info here, we will have to sit down and wonder together. do you have any other ideas where i can get information for her. more about healthy relationships than sex at the moment. her father and i sat down last week and talked about how to teach her this without any examples( we split before she was born) between the 2 of us we have plenty of what not to do's but that really woun't work. we have started talking to her about dating, sex, drugs ect. becouse we never were by our parents. my talk with my mother about sex was when i came home from school one day at 17 she said "your pregnant aren't you? guess we should have that talk now" i responded with "no mom it's a little late for that" and left the room. I have realized how these things stick with us and am trying to give her something better. but like i said earlyer i have no good examples for her, and i don't want her to groww up beleving that she has to be alone to be happy. so any imput would be apprecated Thank you!

--------------------
The creative individual has the capacity to free himself from the web of social pressures in which the rest of us are caught. He is capable of questioning the assumptions that the rest of us accept.
- John W. Gardner

Posts: 1 | From: NW Washington | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can certainly suggest some good books.

Ariel Gore is a magnificent woman and a FANTASTIC parenting author. She was a co-founder of Hip Mama magazine (hipmama.com), which is an excellent site. She has a new book out called, Whatever, Mom about parenting teens. Another really great one about mother-daughter talkes about sexuality is Nathalie Bartle's Venus in Blue Jeans[.

My book isn't out just yet, but even if it was, 12 is a younger age than I geared it to, so instead, I'd suggest the great teen book from the Boston Women's Health Collective [i]Changing Bodies, Changing Lives
. It has sexuality information and body information, but also a great deal per relationships, so it's a good allover reference your daughter could easily find the bits she needs right now in, but have more information on other things for later. Teen Voices and New Moon
magazines are also young adult written mags great for younger teens -- not only are relationships a common topic in both, the fact that they're teen written makes for an awesome peer-to-peer experience.

Gotta say, though, that you shouldn't cut yourself short: even though you and her father don't have a romantic relationship anymore, sounds like you're co-parenting really well, and that IS a relationship, too, and her being able to see two parents who aren't "together" but still can act as a unit and be her family? That's awesome modeling, so even just per your relationship, I don't see that she's without examples. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.