Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Heather/Miz Scarlet AWOL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heather/Miz Scarlet AWOL
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I posted a similar note over at the AGA, but figured y'all should be appraised as well.)

Starting from the end of this week, and contuing through the month of November, I am going to be much less accessible than I have been, due to two things:

1) As most of you know, my book, an in-depth, fully inclusive and feminist approach to young adult sex education, has FINALLY found a (second: the first publisher round was a doozy) home per a great publisher, after almost six years of hunting, writing, editing, shopping and all-out begging. Even better in some respects, they aren't dragging their heels and want this puppy out by spring. But this mean myself and my editor editing and completing it -- a 600-single-sided-page manuscript -- in the next two months, Suffice it to say, especially for a book full of medical and sexual information as well as cultural analysis, and especially for this readership, that is NOT a lot of time, and very shortly, we'll find ourselves working round the clock. A project you've been trying to get off the gound for six years of work, based on eight years of grassroots and hardscrabble work, tends to be something you can't set aside or do anything but give all you've got to, so for obvious reasons, this has got to have as much of my time, emotional energy, and attention as possible.

2) I will have to fly to Philly in November to testify for the ACLU against the US federal government as a visible plantiff challenging the COPA (Child Online Protection Act). While over the last two years or so, most of the grunt work I've had to do for this (gathering documents, interviews, a grueling 8 hour deposition in NY by the feds) has been done, and I do not expect to have to be there for more than a day or two, there's prep to be done, especially considering how much this girl hates public speaking and resents our current administration.

So. Less of me: less and less as the next months go by.

The volunteers, as ever, are all still here to do their part, and there are plenty of folks here to assist everyone. If you have any troubles, you can use the notify function with posts, or email one of our volunteers. Do us all a favor, eh? Just bear the board guidelines in mind, and bear in mind that working one of the busiest boards on the 'net isn't such a great gig sometimes, and all our helpers here are doing so on their own time, so doing your part to be sure you're not putting needless work on them per conflict is really helpful.

I'll still be checking in plenty, and I have some new articles in the works, but there will be times when I am absent for long stretches of days while I burn the midnight oil trying to pull all of this together in a very small window of time.

Thanks for your patience!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about it! While we all think you're great, it's no secret that as good book series go on (for instance), creator characters or mentor characters appear less and less because they're busy (like Aslan in Narnia).
Good luck with the book. Also, can we buy it online, or is it just in whichever 2 states it is in the US?

[ 09-10-2006, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the AWOL keeps on coming.

Things are heating up over here even more than I had intitially expected, so my visibility/availibility here is rapidly decreasing.

Some posters have expressed a wonder as to why I haven't continued counseling in their posts, and this is why. I have so, so little time in the day for anything but book-stuff right now -- and now the ACLU case is getting busier, too -- that if I can even get one response to a given poster out, it's a miracle, and for more extended conversations, I just very rarely have the time, emotional energy or the simple brainpower.

So, again, sorry, y'all. Come winter, things will be better. In the meantime, per usual, we have a wealth of wonderful volunteers here to help you out, and please, please, please... I don't mean to sound like a Mom or like naggy Auntie Heather, but users doing their level best to not make undue strife or conflict on the boards is very much appreciated.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.