Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » to Miz Scarlet and Scarleteen volunteers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: to Miz Scarlet and Scarleteen volunteers
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering something. How did you guys learned so much about all the stuff we talk here at Scarleteen ? Is it because you had some background in sexual health ? Or do you simply read a lot about those stuff or spend a lot of times reading on the boards ? Did you spend a lot of time reading about those stuff, years ?And what do you guys read ?

I was just wondering. I learned a lot since I've been here and it's not even been two months but there's a lot more I still don't know about.I've read almost all the articles on the main page ans still there's so much I don't know about. I know those articles don't cover everything it's impossible but ...

I am curious about you too Miz Scarlet. Feel free not to answer if you feel I'm invading your personal space too much. [Smile] I know you read A LOT but have you had any training in sexual health ? And do you read like on the net also or just books ? What's your secret to knowing so much about sexual health and these kind of things ?

I don't know. I just really admire you guys. I'd really like to know as much as you know and be able to help people too.

[ 08-16-2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good number of the mods/volunteers here don't have any special training or schooling on the subject of sexual health. We're pretty varied in age, experience, pursued/practiced careers, and education level.

I can speak for at least myself when I say that most of it comes from the desire to learn. I read all the articles on the site, poked around the message boards for a good while before posting on a regular basis, and looked up things I found interesting/didn't know so much about in books and encyclopedias.

So really, all you have to do is have a geniune interest in a subject and the desire to fill your brain with it. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been an avid reader of Scarleteen since before the forums existed. That's now been nearly 7 years. I read everything again and again, and checked daily for new things. When the forums were introduced, I registered. I have been an active poster since the beginning, which is over six years now.

That said, I've only been a mod for a year now. I did a lot of growing up here...I cringe at some of my older posts. It's not something that happens overnight.

If I can't answer a question, I look up the answer. I learn from what others post, and try my best to provide friendly feedback here. Plus, it's fun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same boat as DarkChild. I think a lot of the mods did a bit of maturing while on the boards, because I can look back at posts from my first few visits and say "What was I THINKING?"...

I certainly don't have a background in sexual health, either. I just graduated from high school this spring. But I started out at Scarleteen, before I resgistered on the boards (it took me a little while to figure out they were there) just sitting and reading the articles.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me personally, I've always been exposed to discussions about healthcare since I was very young (members of my family are health care workers of various types). Additionally, I've worked in several medical offices. As an undergraduate, I participated in a group that worked to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and also received training regarding teaching about safer sex & prevention for teens. Now my academic work is in health communication, so I spend a great deal of time in the academic literature relating to health topics, health communication, and communication in general.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much time this week for stuff like this, cool, but if you peek around, you'll find a lot from me on my background out and about.

Per the sexual health angle, when I came of age in my early teens was at the very advent of HIV/AIDS, and my mother worked in one of the first children's AIDS wards there was in the world. So, aside of coming of age at a different time when talking sex openly was a lot more common, that was a huge factor. In college, sexuality was part of my study, but largely from an angle of literature and sociology, rather than medical care.

So, per that? I have behind me a 6x6 foot bookshelf with double-deep shelves, a good half of which are all sorts of books and journals on sexuality and health. That's the tip of the iceberg, since I'm a fast and compulsive reader who also reads up at libraries and online incessantly (especially considering sexual health information changes very often, so you can't read up on it once and then stop). So, no secret: I study a lot, I read a lot.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from a medical family. I studied biology in college. I have a masters degree in public health. Did my thesis on STDs and health ed. and so forth...

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Gumdrop Girl, your dad's a physician if I recall well, right ?

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aye, he is. so is my uncle. mom, sister and two aunts are nurses. and i'm the odd duck epidemiologist until i go to med school.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

:D Funny !

You'll try going to med school again next year ? If so, I wish you more luck this time !

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.