Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Message for LondonGirl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Message for LondonGirl
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to post this here, sorry to skip the original thread...

First of all I doubt that you are un-hip, or old by comparison for that matter. Heck, you cannot be un-cool by definition if you are in London. No Really!

The kitty reference is to a rather unpleasant situation in a story by Frank Herbert. Dune. My dad read this a long, long time ago, and tricked me into reading the books telling me it was like Tolkien. I think there were just three books then, but I only finished book one. Several screenplays later…

Thufir Hawat is a special human computer type person known as a Mentat (mechanical computer type thingies were banned in this culture) that is kidnapped by an “evildoer”, The Baron. (a really, really bad man) The Baron wants Thufir to do work for him against Duke Leto The Just, a really, really good man, and Thufir’s former employer.

Well you can’t get a Mentat as brilliant and loyal as Thufir to harm his liege without some leverage, so the bad man puts a special poison (amongst other things…) into Thufir. To stay alive Thufir has to “milk the kitty” (trust me, it’s a powerful visual) to get the antidote to this poison. So, as long as the kitty lives, so does Thufir.

In the movie in which this scene plays they use a Rex, a nearly bald rather exotic looking cat. I happen to think they are really cool looking and nice too, not like some Siamese… Well I think it was a rex anyway…

Many cat lovers likely were offended by the scene, but I have it on good authority that no cats were harmed in the making of that film.

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for the info, I think you win this week's well-read geek prize

Trust me, ordinary people live everywhere. They don't exclude people from living in places just because they're uncool, well not in this country anyway!!! I'm not cool, I should know, I've met me

And I'm sure some of the teens here think I'm ancient.........

------------------
Londongirl
Thirtysomething and not actually counting
Who the **** is Londongirl?

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nachtgeist
Neophyte
Member # 19932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nachtgeist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read Dune a couple hundred times... never actually came across that...

in the book it was a residual poison... the antidote was given to him in his food, so long as it was present, he kept alive...

Oh, darn. an excuse to read my favoritestest book evar again.

I've never seen the movie. Well, I've seen the more recent version... In German... but that hardly counts. 'cause I don't speak German that well, despite living there for four years....

------------------
rocking out for the future

Are you a Master Debater?

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the "kitty" scene is unique to the 1984 David Lynch movie, a real oldie but a classic none the less.

The movie produced pretty much a black or white response from fans and non-fans of F.H. alike. You either loved it (me) or hated it. I found it to be a visual treat very much in the D. Lynch style. The screenplay I though was pretty true to the original written story. In fact I think if a viewer had not read the book (1st book) they may not get as much out of this particular visual adaptation.

It's stars include Kyle MacLachlan, José Ferrer, Dean Stockwell, Brad Dourif, Sting, Kenneth McMillan, Patrick Stewart, Sean Young, and Linda Hunt.

The US version (130 minutes+/-) leaves out huge chunks of the story, which makes it more difficult to follow to the un-initiated.

There is a directors cut 3 hour version that gets rave reviews, but it has not been released in the US! Darn!

It sounds to me like you are a very big fan of the story, I would love to hear what you thought of this version, try to find the long directors cut version if you can.

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, I saw that version long ago. Maybe I should rent it again. Mostly I only remember Sting. I didn't realize that there were good actors in it (I'm developing a fixation on Brad Dourif.)

But a few months ago we watched rented the Children of Dune miniseries, so I may have reached tolerance level.

Yeah, this is totally random reply.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.