Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Becoming an Advocate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Becoming an Advocate
JordanLeve
Neophyte
Member # 13529

Icon 4 posted      Profile for JordanLeve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading your site for a while (I read every post) and was wondering what I would have to do to become an advocate? I really enjoy helping people, and I believe that this would be a great way to do this. I just completed a two year stay at a residental treatment center, and I am now ready to be home with my family. I thinks that this gives me an expirence that can be hard to come by sometimes.
Posts: 12 | From: Cleveland, OH USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum19/HTML/000007.html for an explanation of how people get to be advocates.

But remember, you don't have to be an advocate in order to help answer questions .

Apart from "Ask Scarleteen" and "Emergencies and Crises", board users can post answers to questions in any of the forums - we just ask that you follow the guidelines, and make sure that your information and advice is as accurate and responsible as possible (it helps to have read the articles on the site).

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Miz Scarlet - as you've probably picked up - runs the place, so she picks the advocates. Basically, if you want to be one, you've gotta post! You've gotta be here posting continuously for a few weeks or months, before you'll get consideration probably.

If she likes your advice, you might just get the call!

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the longest time I hoped and hoped that I'd get picked to be an advocate.

Then I realized, I don't have the time. Ever. Often, it's 2 or 3 days in between my visits because life happens. So I am content to be a long time poster and supporter of Scarleteen.

And just the same...I can help people here without the title.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DarkChild, we appreciate having you around all the same

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JordanLeve
Neophyte
Member # 13529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JordanLeve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies...I never knew that there was more than one message board. A friend of mine sent me to Ask Scarleteen when I was in need of an answer, and I found the answer in another thread. Hence, when I tried to reply a "thank you" note, I wondered why I wasn't being allowed to reply to posts. I searched for a place to ask where I could be "activated" to create replys, and was sent to the main page for the boards.

--Jordan

Posts: 12 | From: Cleveland, OH USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should see the withdrawls I go through.

It was so difficult to be away for 2 weeks. Even though it WAS Australia...I managed to fix myself at Wake Up! in Sydney. Only, what will I do in Chicago? The horror...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
Only, what will I do in Chicago? The horror...

Hey, be careful talkin' about The Boss' (and my!) hometown like that!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

I was refering to Scareleen Seperation Anxiety, and the fact that I doubt I'll get internet access.

Really. Can't hate a place until I've been there!

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 6 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I know what you meant...I was just ribbin' ya a bit, old timer! You know we're all family here... heehee

------------------

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

And you want to know what's really scary, BruinDan?

You have the same sense of humor and personality as my brother. Only, he lives in Kirkland and works for a computer company. You should hear his stories. You know. Makes the grocery store sound entertaining.

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Argh, he's been cloned?!
Sounds sort of like a bad sci-fi movie where no one ever shuts up.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF

Ask me, I won't say no, how could I?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkChild717:
You have the same sense of humor and personality as my brother.

Well, I've never set foot in Kirkland but if I do, I'll meet up with your brother and we'll have a jolly old time.

I remember a few years ago someone else said something very similar...I think I reminded someone of their older brother or older cousin or something like that. I guess assholaciousness is a common trait these days.

------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 12 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have NOOO idea.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.