Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » Moving...again...a rant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving...again...a rant
biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biblacknproud87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* I am 19 years old. In these few years of life on this earth, my family and I (mom, younger bro and I) have moved 5 times. Three of those times have been in the past six years (roughly a year and a half a part each). The first time we moved we only lived there for a year. I'm getting so sick of this, but there really isn't much I can do. Being in college doesn't help, because I'm still affected by the move. Most of the time that we have moved, it's because of money. The first time we moved though, from Queens, New York (part of New York City) to Long Island, it was because my dad, a convicted rapist, was coming out of jail. That time, and the sixth time that is happening now, are the only times when moving wasn't about money. My mom doesn't make a lot of money-she never finished college, and is a single parent with 2 kids. But this time it really pisses me off, because there is no true need for us to move. Why do we have to move a sixth time, after only having been here a year? Because the goddamn landlord wants to move their family in!!! Can you believe that ****??? We have to pack our bags, aalll our belongings, randomly find a place to live, get this...ASAP!!! all because they want to move a goddamn family member in!!! We have to change our entire lives, after only living here for a year, because they want to do something with this place. We aren't bad tenants; my mom pays the bills, she struggles, naturally, but she pays. We aren't rude to our neighbors (we live in a 2 family house). Why can't their family members find some place that's actually AVAILABLE????? I have two weeks until I have to go back to school, and now along with my mom, I have to goddamn stress about moving to a new house too, as well as to my dorm. [Mad] And it's not just about me, I'm concerned for my mom too. Why should she have to go through all of the stress of moving? She already has it hard enough being a single parent of two children, both now in college (my brother just left for his first year) with the kind of job a high school or college student should have (a cashier at Staples). This really angers me, and I personally think doing bullshit like that should be against the goddamn law. It really should...

Signed,

Pissed as hell

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me
Before I need anyone else

Posts: 35 | From: New York...New Brunswick, New Jersey when I'm in school | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how you feel.I live on a boat and so we move around a lot.And we rarely go back to places.And I'm also adopted.From my mother to my
grandparents.But whenever I'm back at my moms,I try to help out.Wether its babysitting my step-monsters (They are my brother,but just from different dads),or helping make money I do it.
But your moms a bit better.Mine doesn't have a job.And so her incomes a little low.

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.A.H -

I feel for ya. My family moved four times in about 7 years. We got bounced out of a lousy apartment in Harlem for the same sort of reasons as your family. The landlord had my dad arrested on false harrassment charges. Where we're at right now, still in Manhattan, is a slum. My dad's taken the landlord to housing court about two dozen times, no kidding. Last week there was a shoot out between rival gangs, across the block from our apartment. And 3 or 4 sets of drug dealers have moved in and out of the building in the last 5 years.

When you don't have good credit, or someone in your family's been in trouble, or you got a big dog (like my family does), you get screwed. Especially in New York City.

Have you talked with your moms about this stuff, in terms of how it's affecting both of you and your bro?

You might want to contact the law school at your college (do you go to Rutgers?) and see if somebody there would be willing to help you & your moms file a complaint in housing court.
Most college law schools have law students who like doing stuff like this for free, or on the cheap.

It sounds like what your past landlord did was a bunch of bs. It's pretty cheap to file a pro bono (argued by yourself, not with a lawyer) case in NYC. Not more than $50, I think.

The complaint is called an "order to show cause" which means your landlord has to show the court WHY he kicked you guys out. NYC housing court is usually REALLY sympathetic to tenants.

With the order to show cause, you can ask the court to order the landlord to pay you moving expenses, new apartment's security deposit, and other kinds of damages. Or, the judge can order that you get rent paid back to you for X number of months, which my dad has been able to do a few times.

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/queensadmin.shtml

http://www.nycourts.gov/publications/L&TPamphlet.pdf

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/housing/forms/oscinstructions.pdf

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biblacknproud87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your concern kitka, but I don't live in New York City. I'm from Queens, but we've lived on Long Island for 9 years, and I know the housing and landlord/tenant laws are a bit different out here. I'm sorry your area sucks. My town isn't much better (most people outside of Long Island wouldn't believe that *rolls eyes* In certain areas, it's not all it's cracked up to be).

I emailed this lawyer guy from the Long Island area to see if he could help. My mom's just taking it for what it is, instead of trying to do something about it, because the lady who helped us get this place tried to talk to the landlord, but he/she (never seen em) wouldn't budge. This can't POSSIBLY be legal. *frowns*

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me
Before I need anyone else

Posts: 35 | From: New York...New Brunswick, New Jersey when I'm in school | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 34791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a way we're in the same boat. I'm fifteen and moved four times since I was eight. Seems like a lot even with the seven year difference because there is always a new school, many strangers that line up to be your possible future friend.. And my mom is a single mom of me and my sister(Who's twenty). Yup, money is tight here too. If I ever move again.. I'm hoping it's in the same area so I don't gotta switch highschools again.

Anyways, that's terrible what your landlord is doing. Wish I could do more, but don't know what to do in a situation like that.

Posts: 10 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.