Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » How to get a job...with no experience?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get a job...with no experience?
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm 17, and in desperate need of a job. I'm at the age now that I should have a job anyway, but my parents aren't too happy about giving me money anymore (I don't blame them!)

I have a car, but my parents are currently paying insurance (until I get a job and can pay them back) and are also paying cell phone bills, and money for gas. But my luck is running out and I'm desperate for a job since my parents are getting tired of handing out cash.

I don't have much work experience, except for one job I had in the summer. So it's really really hard to get a job especially with no experience. I've applied to well over 20 places, and still no job. My parents are threatening to put the car in storage until I have a job, but I need it to get to school and stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about getting a job? Any other people my age find it difficult to get a job?
I've looked in so many classified sections, and handed out so many resumes, and I don't know what to do anymore!

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first jobs were in retail. I worked at Younkers (a department store) with absolutely no previous experience. Of course the pay was astoundingly low, but it's a start.

Have you tried places like Target and Shopko? They tend to hire a lot of workers without much experience.

It may not be great, but it could be a start.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked for a local coffee shop for a year or two before switching to a job closer to my home (town grocers) Grocers, small shops, and some restaurants will hire requiring little to no experience.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a Canadian, here is a good place to start:

Jobs

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in that boat...but I got lucky. My dad got a kidney stone. No, really. He did.

Mom and I visited him in the Hospital, and then stopped by to see a freind of hers. Turns out they were in the middle of this huge project and the previous girl sucked at it. 2 hours to alphabetize 32 charts!

So I got my job. No interview, no application...just money. And now it's a full time gig, and I'll get a raise at the end of my 90 day period. So ask around. You'd be suprised what happens.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, schools can set up work-study jobs for students. Sometimes school even hire students to do light filing and reception work. What about posting fliers in the neighborhood for odd jobs? How about Craigslist? (there's a list for Toronto now)

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
N
Neophyte
Member # 20990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for N         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be in the position of looking for a job with no experience soon. Luckily I do have education.

Connections seem to be very important. If you know people who think well of you, and those people know people who employ people, they can often hook you up with an interview and give you a good recommendation.

Posts: 37 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misslane
Activist
Member # 21368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misslane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just started my job hunt 2 days ago, and i had my first interview yesterday!!! i am 18 and have never had a paying job.

what worked for me: i went to the mall that is 15 min away from my house and walked into a ton of stores and asked for a job app, one place was hireing and really need people, so i filled out my app right there in the store, then set up an interview for the next day. i still filled out the other apps at home and handed them all in when i went back for the interview, so if i don't get that job i have my foot in the door with other places.

i dont know if i got the job yet i will post if i do!!

Posts: 60 | From: NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misslane
Activist
Member # 21368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for misslane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well not only did i get that job, but a got a 2nd job in the mall as well! (the 1st place took awile to get back to me after the interview, the 2nd place called up for an interview and hired me on the spot! then the 1st placed called me up that evening and told me i was hired!

i want to keep both jobs so i can work about 25 hours a week. i like them so far and i hope i can balence them. ^.^

Posts: 60 | From: NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.