Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » Would You Let Your Parents Here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would You Let Your Parents Here?
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is just a spinoff from one of the other topics, but would you let your parents know about scarleteen and post here? How many people have parents that read/contribute/know?

I definetly do not let my parents know, I delete the history on my comp (yeah, I have to) because I have this screen name other places, and I really don't want them to know about what I'm going through and what I'm doing (sex wise/relationship wise) because they can't talk about it or act like adults without putting on the whole "I'm the adult you are a little kid so I'm always right and I can control you" show. Although I think my mom could be helpful 'coz she was a labor and delivery nurse for ten years.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelsBrat
Activist
Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelsBrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah i would totally let my mom see this site. I talk to her about everything and i know she would agree w/ a site like this!!
Posts: 55 | From: Toronto,Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love for my parents to not only see this site, but to read my posts and my replies to some of the topics here.

I want to talk about this stuff with them, but I don't get the feeling that they're interested in thinking about the fact that their eighteen-year-old daughter is sexually active and doesn't see that as anything to be ashamed of.

I think that if they would read some of the things that I write here, they might understand that I am knowledgeable enough to make my own decisions about my body...and now that I've left the house (!), I might point them to the site...

~lemming

------------------
"There's only now, there's only this/Forget regret or life is yours to miss/No other road, no other way/No day but today..."~"Mimi" in "Another Day," from RENT, by Jonathan Larson

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not that I'd have a problem with my mum posting here, but she absolutely hates computers.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love
Neophyte
Member # 1076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't want my mom to come here. What I say on boards like these I like to be pretty much anonymous.. which is why I don't give the addy away to my friends and such.

------------------
yo yo yo buh bye!

Posts: 3 | From: dull town, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hee hee... I always delete the history too! My parents probably wouldn't mind me reading this stuff, but I wouldn't want them to figure out I was Rizzo, and read all about me.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winter
Activist
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd tell my parents, but I'm in beppie's boat, my Mom uses computers a lot in her work, and when she gets home at the end of the day she wants to kill them all, lol

But yeah, I'd actually *like* for my parents to read most of the stuff I write on here. I don't feel like my sexuality is anything to be ashamed of. Even though my parents and I don't have the most open relationship in the world, they do know that I am having sex, and they think that because I'm 16, and am going about it in a mature way, with a person I love, using proper birth/STD control, they say "as long as I'm being safe". So, yeah

------------------
"Can't this wait til I'm old?"-Phish
hannah@atarikid.com

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hotchick
Activist
Member # 390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hotchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its good to talk with your parents and share things with them. Still, I wouldn't like it if my parents saw this site. Its just a privacy issue for me. But this site does help me to get along with my parents better. Would you like your parents to listen in on your phone conversations? Its not much different then that.
Posts: 52 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Activist
Member # 374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, yeah I would totally let my mom here. the only prob is that, EVERYWHERE else I am Ophelia (which probably wasn't smart on my part) and then she'd know who I am and know EVERYTHING about me! and no matter how close I am to her, there are just somethings you don't want parents knowing!
Posts: 72 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiley_chick
Neophyte
Member # 578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiley_chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mum doesn't really understand what this site is she thinks it is everything it sets out not to be but i'm sure if she understood what it was she would be cool with it

------------------
em***

Posts: 26 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom reads this site. (Hi, Mom!)

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel_Goth
Neophyte
Member # 1204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel_Goth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom and I talk, but it's usually me broaching a subject, after getting the nerve to do it, and then her totally going off, leaving me blinking repeatedly and putting into effect the old nod and smile routine. Maybe if she were to come and read my posts and my reply posts she'd let me talk sometimes. Heh, who knows, she's a mom, gotta love her, and hate her, and listen to her, and disobey her...~snickers and fades away into the shadows~

------------------
Little things used to mean so much to Shelly. I used to think they were kinda trivial. Believe me, nothing's trivial. ~Eric Draven, The Crow

Posts: 3 | From: Mt. Gilead, OH, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jupiter
Activist
Member # 994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jupiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell no!!!
Posts: 55 | From: West Sand Lake (aka Cow Pasture), NY | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver
Neophyte
Member # 564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, um, not to the boards. While I think they might approve of the site (at least mum might- though I'm not sure, the language might shock her, da might be put off by the Gaydar- he can be really weird sometimes) in that the whole if you're going to do it be safe... I wouldn't want them knowing my sex life. (Of course, I don't know if they would remember Silver is one of my common screen names, but....)

The way I figure it, by societal terms I haven't even 'had sex' (though I like Miz Scarlet's definition better), though I've done many many things besides.... but anyhow, we've been _very_ careful about pregnancy/STD issues- we love each other too much to screw (ahem) with our futures. So- as long as I'm not being stupid, am informed, and am not going to damage me, the child they produced, in any way, I figure it's not really something they need to see.

Part of why I want to wait on actual intercourse kind of sex until I am 18/preferably out of the house is that when I am, there's no way I can guiltily convince myself that it's their business because I'm their dependent child and so they have some kind of part ownership in what I do with myself... I don't always totally agree with that line of thought, (in fact it's rare, though on issues like notifying before abortion my opinion changes more) but I have a crummy loud conscience that has trouble keeping it's stupid mouth shut so I still have to cope with it. ;P

Well, that was longer than I meant it to be, but the short of it is, probably not... though I certainly wish the site was the model for sex ed everywhere and parents would read it and be HAPPY their children were learning from an informative, realistic, and safety-minded source. Wonderful Miz Scarlet!

8)

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't let my 'rents in here cause well my mom is convinced that I'm still 8 and my dad just wants to be left in the dark as far as how my relationships go physically.
But I let my friends know about this place in fact I introduced my bf to it.

------------------
*~ Daisy ~*

Love ya wheelbarrow & wheelbarrows full

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetChic86
Neophyte
Member # 889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetChic86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to be able to let my parent know, but I can't. They are sooo not understanding , and they would argue with me about it for hours. I have never been able to talk to them about sex or nething (even though i really want to) bcuz they r so closed minded to my opinion and the fact that sex is a real thing, and that sex does happen. I know if they could they would chain me in my room forever!
Posts: 11 | From: Alabama , U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristi
Neophyte
Member # 1353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not alot of Kristi's spell thier name this way so.... If my mom ever came here or M/G I'd be so dead. (Too many confessions and bad words *lol*)

------------------
I'm a bitch.. And proud! But everybody loves me.
Bad Boy! Go to my room!

Posts: 12 | From: Well, it all started whne my dad was too lazy to put on a damn condom....... | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashleigh W
Activist
Member # 1352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashleigh W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, silver!! GUess what...SiLveR is part of almost all my screenames too!! LOL just had to get that out. im me sometime @ --- edited---

(that goes for all you others too)

(Ashleigh, this is the second time I have asked you not to put direct contact information on this board. Please review the guidelines you agreed to when registering, and please do not do it again, honey. It's for your safety.)

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited September 18, 2000).]

Posts: 57 | From: USA...that's all you need to know! | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love for my parents, especially my father to read this site. I've showed it to my mother a few times but she won't come back on her own. My father thinks I'm just about old enough to start to kiss other people. Lol, he still thinks I'm 10. It's okay, he can just leave sex discussions to my mother. Ha, actually the other night, my mother told me that the first time she had sex(and by that she means intercourse) was in 11th grade. I'm in 11th grade now, so it would be a bit hypocritical if she dissaproved of it now. She doesn't, as long as I'm being safe and smart about it.
Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel I should add the following::

- My mother often does health consultations for this site.
- My father reads it and has offerred to volunteer amy times over.
- My partner/husband helps with the site incessantly.
- My aunts and uncles and cousins and my husband read this all the time.

Were I a participant, and not an adult owner of the site. I know I can safely say that I would have been comfortable with about half those people on the site in my teens, and I also know that the ones I wasn't comfortable having here would probably have found it anyway, and I wouldn't have had much to say about it!

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisablair
Neophyte
Member # 1364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lisablair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hellno i can barly tell my mom about fellings i have let'a'lone stuff i write here!!
Posts: 5 | From: denver,colorado,usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Circ'd
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really I hardly know my mum, although I live with her. I usually hide the most trivial things, even non-sexual ones, from her because I don't want her to know me too well for some reason - I suppose it comes from the times she used to tell me that she could "read me like a book". From then on I've always tried to prove her wrong, and I have many times. Anyway, for this reason I definately wouldn't tell my mum about this site. If she did find it, I wouldn't mind her reading a bit of it, but not anything that I said, I prefer not to give any secrets away to her!!!

------------------
Hung like... something that is hung!!!

[This message has been edited by Circ'd (edited September 19, 2000).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Circ'd,
You have been posting in the men's room as well. I need you to make a gender choice here, and whichever it is, stay out of one room or the other.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.