Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » Spending Time with the Parentals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spending Time with the Parentals
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you spend any free time with your parents or do you mostly disappear? Is there anything you like to do with one or more of your parents, chat on the back stoop, throw a ball around, shop, etc?

Are you looking for ways to get closer to your parents or do you wish they would just go away?

Let's read your thoughts!

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spend a lot of time with my mother. We go grocery shopping, to the movies, for walks around town, things like that. We've been fairly close like that for as long as I can remember.
My father, however... that's another matter completely. We don't get along, he lives 5 hours away, and a couple of months ago we just agreed not to talk or see eachother anymore, because all we do is make eachother angry.
So... yeah. Both ends of the spectrum, I suppose.

------------------
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom and i used to have special coffee nites ... usually wednesdays. We would go to this little cafe thing and have coffee and ice cream and chat about how the week has gone. Her work hours were insane and I was having a really bad year in school (my marks sucked a**) so we rarely had time to really talk. That was our nite tho ... and sometimes we had weekends too. Rarely tho. If we did we'd go bowling or go to the movies, just the girls (mom, me, sis) ... It was pretty good

My dad on the other hand ... he's a couch potato. Our "bonding" usually doesn't come until the end of the day and lasts no more than half an hour. That's usually the most i can handle his annoyingness. He's just the biggest bug in the world and i have a very little patience ... He rarely goes out anywhere and even *I* can't change that (i've always been daddys lil girl). So i just get used to it. And move on.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for me Sunday is Family Day so I make absolutely no plans during that day and I usually go for lunch with my family, do a spot of grocery shopping and in the evening we go to my grandparent's place for dinner.

I've been quite busy lately but I'll always at least spare some time talking to my parents everyday. More my mum than my dad actually. She in turn tells him everything.

It's nice talking to my mum because she is terribly understanding and I think she likes knowing what is going on in my life as well. I hardly get the chance to go out with my mum alone becaues of my pesky brother who insists on tagging along everywhere but my brother spends quality time with my dad by playing golf with him.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I literally haven't spent extensive time with my parents in years. I don't mind this in the least.

That said, I occasionally have amiable fifteen minute chats with my father. He's pleasant.

On the other hand, I don't talk to my mother at all. She's just intolerable.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't live at home anymore. but my parents visit me every few weeks. strange thing is, it's a four hour drive to get here, and my parents will show up, take me out for dim sum, then take me to the supermarket. they'll help me unload my groceries, watch TV for half an hour, then they leave again. that's about 4 hours that they do spend with me, then it's another 4 hours getting home.

my mom calls sometimes. our conversations tend to last less than a minute. she'll ask one question, i'll answer, and that's good enough. then *click* she hangs up on me.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<bump>
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea!

for once, my parents are actually coming up to visit. Like *really* visit. they're going to stay for a wekeend. they want to see Wine Country and San Francisco. This makes me happy

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AUcowgirl
Neophyte
Member # 11864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AUcowgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although my parents are married to each other, I never spend time with them both at the same time. Its just not possible. My dad and I always end up fighting and my mom tries to referee and we all get mad.
My mom and I spend as much time together as possible, going shopping, watching movies, or just drinking coffee.

My dad and I however... we do better in activities that involve very little speaking. We go shooting together about once a month. Sometimes we go fishing, but it only works if we take seperate vehicles and both bring our CD headsets. LOL. I guess that's better than nothing.

My mom is cool, though, she'll come up for a long weekend and stay with me and we have a blast. Kind of like a 48 hour bachlorette party.

Posts: 4 | From: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely spend any quality time with my parents. I'm usually out and about with my friends and such, but on rare occasions I'll go to a restaurant with my dad, or to a movie with my mom.
I actually spent the afternoon with my dad just last saturday
I wish I got along better with my mom. I get along amazing with my dad, but for some reason me and my mom just don't get along very well.
I wish I was closer to my parents, but there are the times where I wish they would just go away!

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, my parents came up to visit. i invited my boyfriend's roommate and his girlfriend to join the bunch of us for dim sum. Then my dad got paged because one of his patients was having seizures. So after dim sum, they headed home

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez that's a bummer! Their first real visit you say, and he gets paged? kind of ironic
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

<Bump>
nico
Neophyte
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom and I chat all the time, like when I get home from school and when I'm making supper or breakfast she'll just sit at the table and we'll drink cold instant coffee and complain about the good things and laugh about the bad ones. We're pretty close in that complete stranger way.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.