Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » Parent and Teen Survey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parent and Teen Survey
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SIECUS' newsletter today included the results of the survey shown below, done with parents and teens, which I think you'll find very interesting (especially the very last bit).

"Survey Examines Parent and Teen Views on Sexuality, Alcohol, and Drug Use

Teen Today 2000, a survey released this month by the Liberty Mutual Group and Students Against Destructive Decisions/Students Against Driving Drunk (SADD), explores teen attitudes and behaviors concerning issues of drinking and driving, alcohol use, drug use, sex, and violence. Surveys were conducted in March 2000 via phone interviews of 405 parents of teenagers across the country and written responses of 687 teenagers in grades nine through 12.

Concerns
Both teens and parents ranked HIV and STDs as their number one concern with 81% of teens and 71% of parents reporting that they are extremely, very, or concerned about this issue.
Teens ranked teenage pregnancy third with more than 77% reporting that they are extremely, very, or concerned about this issue. Parents ranked teen pregnancy fourth with 69% reporting this level of concern.
Teens ranked teen suicide fifth among their top issue, with nearly 62% reporting they are extremely, very, or concerned about this issue.
Parents ranked teen suicide seventeenth with 36% reporting concern.
Teens ranked casual sex as their twelth concern. In contrast parents
ranked casual sex as their fifth concern.

Sexual Behavior
When asked about their attitudes toward teen sexual behavior:

27% of teens said, Im going to wait until Im married.
24% of teens said, Im going to wait until Im in a serious relationship.
19% of teens said, Its no big deal to have sex.
4% of teens said, I feel pressure to have sex.

When asked how their teens felt about teen sexual behavior:
33% of parents said their teen, will wait until he/she is married.
23% of parents answered that their teen does not feel that its a big deal for him/her to have sex.
19% of parents said their teens, will wait until he/she is in a serious relationship.
15% of parents said that their teen, knows when its the right time for him/her.
5% of parents answered that their teen feels pressure to have sex.

Drug Use
Nearly 69% of teens reported that they have an opportunity to use drugs while only 56% of parents believed this to be true.
14% of teens said they use drugs regularly.

Alcohol Use
19% of teens said they drink regularly, and an additional 21% said they drink occasionally.
Only 2% of parents said their teens drink regularly, and 5% of parents said their teens drink occasionally.
29% of teens said the reason why they drink is to get drunk.

Communication
The majority of parents (98%) felt that they communicated with their teen about alcohol use, drug use, and sex. Yet, only 76% of teens said these discussions actually took place.
38% of teens said they wanted their parents to talk to them about alcohol use, 36% about drug use, and 36% about sex.
62% of parents said their teen wanted to talk to them about alcohol use, 64% about drug use, and 58% about sex.
57% of teens said they wanted to talk mostly about these issues to their friends; 15%, to their parents; 15%, to their older sibling; 7%, to their other adults; 1%, to clergy, and 5%, to no one.
Teens said their friends have the greatest influence on them. Parents undervalued the influence friends have on their teens.

Trust
95% of parents said they trust their teen. Yet only 79% of teens think their parents trust them.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what have we learned from this lesson? Either the parents just have WAY OFF thoughts about their teens, or there just isn't any communication going on. I thought this was all pretty interesting though...but I don't like that parents rated teen suicide 17th on their concerns...

Brittany

------------------
Dude, just smile and pass the zen margaritas...

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
U2girl
Activist
Member # 1524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U2girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know this whole survey made me really think... my parents NEVER EVER talked about sex or anything with me.. and im thinking maybe i wished they really would have.. maybe i would have had a better relationship with them if i could talk to them about things...

------------------
PEACE

Posts: 111 | From: Toronto, ont,canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know...you still can.

A lot of parents I have talked to who haven't talked to their kids about sex haven't simply because they're as nervous about it as you are. They don't want to invade privacy, or make you feel put on the spot, and for a lot of adults, talking about sex even amongst themselves is still really hard.

Sometimes a child (even if that child is now an adult) breaking the ice can be a really big help.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it sounds like what everyone should be most worried about is lack of communication.

I think we see the results of this everyday hear on the scarleteen boards.

Do you think it's always been like this?

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that communication is very important. mainly because my mom tried to talk to me but not on a serious note. she was uncomfortable. the discussions were quick and unclear. except for the "dont get pregnant". and when i did get pregnant at 14 i couldnt even talk to my mom about it. now that i have 2 children i have made it a very important point to make sure that when they get old enopugh to make it known that they can talk to me about anything. its better that way then to find out that your child is having sex or drinking by him/her than to find out when they are in the hospital, having a baby, or dead.
the point of all this.... GOOD COMMUNICATION!

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semisane
Neophyte
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semisane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents never said a word about sex to me, but rather gave me several books on the topic (for Christmas and Valentine's Day).

I would recommend this course of action to parents for several reasons: firstly, an unbiased book gives a fair and relatively impartial account, allowing teens to make their own opinion; secondly, giving them a book will allow them to explore according to what is important and relevent to them. Many teens would feel very uncomfortable asking a parent a question that they feel uncomfortable about, none will feel bad looking it up in a book.

One last word of advice, ignore particularily zealous or patronizing books (I would much rather have a technical or scientific account than a religious or ethical one. Sexual morals and ethics are really up to the individual.); all that these will accomplish is proving to your teen that you lack the good judgment to give them something competant.

Semisane
Enlightened by the written word, and happy about it.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's good advice, Semisane. There is no substitute for communication though. But if communication is not good to begin with, sex isn't the best subject to start out with. A good book can give you the confidence of knowing what questions you want to ask...and maybe who to ask.
Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheneB
Activist
Member # 1643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheneB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my parents say is " be safe, use condom etc. . ." Nothing about the emotional part, risks, and everything else. And since i know all about the "be safe" part i dont really wanna get lectured by my parents about it.
Posts: 69 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<bump>
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<bump>
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.