Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Boyfriend » Mens Room » Speed boosts self-esteem for some male drivers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speed boosts self-esteem for some male drivers
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just beeen reading this about young male drivers. How do you feel about driving and speed? Do you observe posted limits? Do you take into consideration the relationship between speed and motor vehicle accidents?

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ou2mame
Activist
Member # 1987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ou2mame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been into extreme speed, be it on a BMX bike, skateboarding, cars. Anything to get me moving. So of course when I got a car, I'd make sure to speed as well. Its an adrenaline rush. I don't think it has much to do with self esteem though.

Women are worse than men when it comes to speeding. My mom used to street race for a living when she was younger. One time she got pulled over by a helicopter, doing 145mph in a 69 thunderbird. Most fender benders are caused by women driving SUV/mini-vans, and higher speed collisions involve luxury sedans, also women drivers. Its a power issue. The bigger the car, the more expensive the car, the faster they go. And usually the more reckless.

You also have to take into consideration that offensive drivers are less likely to get into an accident than defensive drivers. Offensive drivers are constantly "looking" at all angles of their position in traffic, while defensive drivers simply sit back, hardly ever looking around. My driving teacher said she couldn't stop me from speeding, but she did teach me to always have an "out".

I own an 86 mustang, and surely enough, when I'm behind the wheel I'm burying the needle. But its not like I do this on neighborhood roads. Only on highways, where its not dangerous. I see nothing wrong with speeding. The faster you go, the faster you get to your destination. If I drove the speed limit wherever I went, it would take twice as long to get there. I just don't have that kind of time to waste. I've gotten one speeding ticket, for doing 95mph in a 40 at 4am on an empty road. I've also been in once accident, where I rear ended a cop, but that wasn't my fault. A guy in front of him was making an illegal left turn, so the cop stopped before hitting him, and.. I didn't stop.

I think accidents are caused by careless drivers, not reckless drivers. The careless ones are the ones who don't use signals, who don't look where they're going, who don't do anything to prevent an accident. A "reckless" driver, as that site put it, can do all of those things and still be considered reckless just because of their speed.

Another thing. Street speed limits are based on '50s cars. These days, cars are able to go much faster and maintain the same, if not more traction than the cars the speed limits are based on.

------------------
just when everything was making sense
you took away all my self-confidence
now all that I've been hearing must be true
I guess I'm not the only boy for you

Posts: 148 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of ou2mame's arguements appear to bear fruit. Upon investigation, when speed is a factor in an accident, it is usually speed in excess of that warranted by the driving conditions (state of road, weather, visibility, etc.).

Like ou2mame, I also have only one moving violation in my driving career, also a rear-ender. I am not sure what the New York traffic statutes on this are but, in Ontario, the driver of the car that rear-ends another is always considered at fault unless it can be established that the collision occurred by a previously unknown mechanical fault (e.g brake failure). The reasoning is that the trailing driver must travel at a speed/distance that will allow him to avoid colliding with the car ahead should it suddenly slow down or stop. Has anyone here tried to establish just how far it takes a 1.5 tonne mass of steel and rubber to reduce it's speed from 100 kmh to zero, even with ABS brakes? It's an interesting experiment. A quick way to calculate is here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html

Please note a coefficient of static friction =0.8 only on optimim conditions of road surface and tires.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-26-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ou2mame
Activist
Member # 1987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ou2mame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I frequently test my braking ability in different weather conditions to see how much traction I lack at differing speeds. These are things most people don't do out of fear. But its fear that'll get you killed in an accident. In high speed car accidents, when you've lost control of your car, you must regain control, not just let it coast out into what ever its aimed at like most driving instructors will tell you. That's the problem with most drivers, they don't have the guts to do anything about it. I'm not saying that being reckless is the way to drive, but some people just don't have it in them to control their car. They let it control them, which is the wrong way to drive.

About the accident. On the police report, the blame was put on the person who stopped to make the illegal left turn in the middle of a 3/6 lane turnpike, after passing a separated turning lane. It was around 7pm, right when the sun went down, so visibility wasn't all that great either. My car insurance did go up since I'm under 25 years old.

------------------

Posts: 148 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic!

Since Ive spent the past few years of my life doing Traffic Accident Investigations, I noticed that the speed I drove in my personal vehicle began to decrease. I usually exceeded the speed limit (although not by much) a tad, maybe 5 to 10 mph over the limit on the highway and 5 mph above the limit on city streets. That wasnt really a big deal, and most officers do not cite for that. After I saw fatal traffic accidents, I just unconsciously started driving slower...mangled bodies are not pretty.

Now here is the big secret I will let you all in on. In the Police Academy, all officers are taught that the Golden Rule for speeding is that you typically don't cite for someone who is going 12 mph or less above the speed limit. You may stop them and order 'em to slow down, but its not necessary to ticket them. Unless of course, the driver is rude or displays aggressive driving behavior that could hurt someone...

In terms of women, the US National Highway Transportation Safety Agency states that women are at fault in a greater number of accidents than men are. However, this is most likely because there are more women on the road during daytime hours when accidents are most likely to occur (I suppose they are saying that more men are at work, although that is not explicitly stated in the report.) But in terms of speeding, (and I hate to break it to ya ou2mame) men make up a far greater percentage of speeders. This concurs with my experience, that males between about 16 and 30 are the most likely to drive like bats-out-of-hell.

Offensive drivers may be more likely to be constantly looking around for other traffic, but they are also more likely to be running into somebody else. Not everybody is a talented driver, and although you may be, you could be scaring the hell out of somebody else and cause them to lose control as you speed by then at 90mph. I've seen it happen before firsthand, its pretty unfortunate.

As for being at fault, in this state and 46 others in the US, a person who rear-ends another vehicle is at fault in the accident. This person has violated the Basic Speed Law (22350 CVC)) which states that they must be driving at a speed which is "reasonable and appropriate for conditions." If somebody stops ahead of you, the appropriate speed for that condition is obviously zero, so you would be expected to maintain a distance which allows you to achieve that speed.

I personally don't mind when people are speeding by me on the highway. I try to maintain my speed of 70mph, and out here in LA, I am lucky to even get that fast!

------------------
"Unit 16 from 11B, the one running through the park is the one with the gun."
"11B from 16, you mean the naked guy?"
"Yup."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 05-26-2001).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ou2mame
Activist
Member # 1987

The reports I've read, back in 98, stated that female drivers are the cause of most accidents involving high speeds. Things could have changed in 3 years though

------------------

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ou2mame:
The reports I've read, back in 98, stated that female drivers are the cause of most accidents involving high speeds. Things could have changed in 3 years though

Yeah, its possible that it changed a little bit. But it could also be that the report was pertaining to your apecific area. the NHTSA report I was given last year was a nationwide report, but there are some areas (like Indianapolis, IN for example) where women cause a far higher rate of high-speed (65mph and above) accidents than men do. So it could be that you had a local report, which would make sense.

Drive safely, buddy.

------------------
"Unit 16 from 11B, the one running through the park is the one with the gun."
"11B from 16, you mean the naked guy?"
"Yup."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCagedOne
Activist
Member # 3746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCagedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been a real huge speeder. Mostly because I knew I couldn't afford the ticket or the insurance hike. If I'm not in a car, I'm a really big fan of speed though. Dirt bikes and snowmobiles in my backyard were always favorites. Not to mention snowboarding and skiing. I've always wanted to try skydiving, but I haven't made that happen yet. I guess it's just the adrenaline rush. That can be very addicting. I will admit though, my emotions can play a big part in how I drive. If I'm really angry, I accelerate much quicker, turn faster, all that good stuff. I still don't go much more than 5 over. I do have something to show for not speeding much. In my 5 years of driving, I've never had an accident or even been pulled over. BTW, I'm a long time reader, first time poster, so hopefully I'll make my appearances here more regular.

------------------
"A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey"

Posts: 52 | From: Usually somewhere between MI & FL - currently KY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Hi TheCagedOne and welcome to the boards. I think almost everyone wants he adreneline rush that speed gives. That's why we ski, surf, run, ride rollercoasters even. And like you, I have never been given a speeding ticket and that helps a lot with my insurance rates.

I quite often find myself driving a 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone and all I'm doing is keeping with the traffic flow.

The point is that with automobiles, we are sharing the road with others and have a responsibility to drive with the care required for a 1.5 tonne mass of steel and rubber.

------------------

- Isaac Asimov

ou2mame
Activist
Member # 1987

I think some roads should be without speed limits, especially highways. Its inevitable that people will speed up and down i95, so why not make it a little safer for them. Constantly while driving on that specific highway, instead of watching traffic conditions, my eyes are drifting from left to right looking for that hick cop, just waiting to pull me over. And while my eyes are drifting back and forth, they're NOT on the road, where they should be. Now, maybe I shouldn't be speeding. And maybe the person next to me shouldn't speeding. And maybe the 100 cars who just passed the same bushes I just inspected shouldn't be speeding as well. But we are speeding. We're going 100+mph, and I think it would be a bit safer if we were all looking at whats in front of us, instead of what potentially could lead to a ticket. I wonder how many accidents are caused by people watching for patrol cars while speeding excessively. I get more miles to the gallon if I'm doing 90, rather than 60, since my truck has overdrive. And if I'm driving 1200 miles, I would much rather shave 6 hours off that drive, and save gas money while doing it. But I would like the comfort of not looking over my shoulder and in abstract bushes while driving.

------------------

jdxnc
Neophyte
Member # 2697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdxnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had the urge to go fast. At the pristeen age of 18 I've got busted once though... 120 Km/h in a 90 Km/h (about 80 mph in a 50) zone= $140 out of my wallet. But it hasn't slown me down, its just made me more watchful. I love the feeling of going FAST. I often drive over 100+ mph (160km/h) in short bursts. I know i shouldn't, but i can't stand letting an opportunity of an open road with no cars get away. I've come close to hitting a deer, but i just don't learn. guess i'm too stubborn.
Posts: 12 | From: Quebec, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.