Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Pink Slip » Ladies Room » make up... is it worth it? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: make up... is it worth it?
sweets238blonde
Neophyte
Member # 3111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweets238blonde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can understand where you all are coming from. when i was in 9th grade i wore so much make up it was horrable. now that im in 10th grade i wear no more than powder, mascara,and some gloss. ifeel like a whole new person and alot more people notice me because im more natural. i dont think you need lots of make up to be pretty every girl is naturally pretty inside and out
Posts: 5 | From: owings,md,united states | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an artist, and I love the bright and varied colors of makeup, but I've almost never worn it (I can count the number of times on my fingers). I'd want to know what the environmental ramifications of production are, and I'd want outside certification that it was not tested on animals. And that seems like a lot of research to do for something that's both expensive really not that important to me right now... if I wanted to spend money on makeup though, the first place I'd go is Logona Kosmetik ( http://www.logona.com ) Anyone know of other earthfriendly sources?

Sadly, my favorite kind of make-up is nail polish ('cause they're VERY bright colors, and shiney, and not directly on my skin, and I have pretty long nails...), and I've never heard of natural nail polish, nor can I imagine how it would be done.

I like glitter too. (Glitter the makeup AND Glitter from scarleteen!)

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually The Body Shop has a line of environmentally friendly nail polishes.

I'm afraid I'm not too sure how they work but they've got some great colours.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megs
Neophyte
Member # 3175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makeup is pretty cool if you think about it. I have to say that I do wear makeup, in moderation.
Covergirl fresh look liquid makeup lightly dabbed on uneven skin on my face, and then some covergirl stick under my eyes on those allergy days. I also use a shine free powder lightly dusted all over my face.
I then use maybe some neutural eye shadow, brown liner on bottom lid only, and some mascara put on sparingly.
To top it off, some neutural lip gloss, and I am good to go!!!

Posts: 15 | From: Pueblo, Co., United Stated | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, eclipse, I know Logona - It's available at my local health food supermarket. Their products always test excellently in regards to ingredients and all, when "Öko-test" (a reputable, eco-conscious consumer review mag) tests their products.

Fabulous Body and Hair care products that aren't tested on animals are also available at "Lush"; they even sort their products as whether they are suitable for Vegans. They don't have decorative cosmetics, but the other products they have are simply gorgeous.....I love the massage bars (looks like a bar of chocolate, but is used instead of oil for massage, works really really well) and the Shower Smoothies and the body powders (you should smeel "Silky Underwear". Yum Yum Yum. I never tried there hair care though - they have shampoo that comes in bars, which I still find quite odd.

It's definitely worth a try.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 03-29-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh I have tried those shampoo bars and they are fabulous. It is real cool scrubbing your hair with them.

But they don't really have anything for dry hair which is quite upsetting. Doesn't stop me from getting them though and the one which promises to make your hair shine really does.

A few more bars and my hair will be as shiny as yours Caro.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a woman in my city who makes and sells rather groovy handmade soap (even gay rainbow triangle glycerin soap. Now, how cool is that?) and various other bathy things. I think now that I should go out and get her chocolate massage bar. I had a patchouli one, but used it for scent, and never got around to the massage part.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, i love lush! they don't have one in boston, i don't think, but when i was in london a couple of years ago i got a bunch of stuff from there. i got a few of their exploding bath things - they have them everywhere, now, like at the gap and stuff, but the ones from lush were just so damn cool. also i got a friend of mine the honeysuckle shampoo bar, but i think she was afraid to try it. :-(

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blushes at Lin's comment*. I can't help that my hair reflects light *lol*

[shameless plugging of a brand]
In regards to *natural* skin care products, I can also recommend "Weleda" products, which is a Swiss company. Their range of products in the skin care line isn't terribly big, but of really nice quality. - Their cold cream is the best thing for my hands in winter! Their products aren't tested on animals, the packaging is in either glass bottles or metal tubes that can be recycled and most of the plants used for the products are are biodynamically or organically grown. Yeah.
[/shameless plugging of a brand] Hope you forgive me for all this advertising. But Eclipse asked!

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I usually only put on a very natural lipstick when I go out in the morning. Some days, when I feel like it I put on eyeshadow or blush, but on a daily basis I don't use foundation or eyeliner or any of those things. I keep those for special ocasions. Actually when I'm thinking about it, I never use foundation at all. I use a little under my eyes every now and then to hide the slightly darker skin there (not that it really works, but it makes me feel better) but I like my skin au naturel.

Makeup is just something I wear for myself. I like dressing up and makeup is another way of dressing up. It's like the way I sometimes do fun things with my hair (not often cause I'm not very good at hair). IT's just another way of ornamenting yourself

When it comes to brands. I used to get stuff from the drugstore, but especially in lipsticks I can NEVER tell what will look good on my face from the way it looks on my hand or arm. I made a vow to myself after the last disaster buy to never buy lipstick at least from the drugstore again. I'm a firm supporter of MAC! They have great lipstick, nail polish(it dries so easily and quickly and smoothly!), eye shadow, oh who am I kidding, it's my favourite brand. I also have some nice Lancome stuff, but the lipstick doesn't stay on the way MAC does.

On a side note, some friends and I were discussing the way almost everyone seems to have MAC's Twig, lipstick. It looks good on almost everybody. My blond friends, darkhaired friends, pale or dark skinned friends, a lot of them have that lipstick and look great in it. Are there any other universal lipsticks out there, that anyone has discussed with their friends.

Anyway, I've gone on for a long time about this. I enjoy makeup for what it is, fun, not a necessity but fun

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like makeup in moderation-- I like the look of shiny reddish lips... but generally I find girls more attractive with no makeup. I hate the look of cakey, pasty foundation, bleh! And I feel sort of trashy when I wear too much eye makeup. That's just me...

I've tried the shampoo bars. They're fun, lots of lather!

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like make up, just not tons of it. Well, it actually all depends. Just as other people said.

For me... I only use foundation for special occasions. But for every day... I a little bit of cover up (sometimes), some eye shadow, and some lip stick. I don't look so dead in the morning.

I don't like the real fake look. I say, have fun with it, but don't add 5 extra pounds. It just looks gross. And gosh, have you seen the prices on some make up?!?!? Why bother? Chanel is like $50 for some silly blush. What's wrong with the drug store? I do like Clinique though, and it's not that expensive.

I just think that it depends on the occasion. Where, when, how you're feeling, etc.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saunchapanza
Neophyte
Member # 2737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saunchapanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree w/whoever said it, makeup does make me feel more confident...my mom recently has been obsessing about how I shouldn't wear it, so I usually don't. However, I use makeup to express my feelings: If i feel happy I wear glitter and lipgloss, if I feel depressed or I just want to scare my friends I wear heavy black eyeliner. I think makeup is okay in moderation...but my opinion is using 50 different products on your face is not a good idea.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Special occasions only! I used to wear a lot of makeup (mostly because I was goth at the time!) but when I started working where I am now, I just didn't have enough time to do it in the mornings. And I didn't have the time to reapply during the day, so I just stopped all together!

I'm not a fan of foundation, since my skin tends to change colour quite often, I can never find a good match anyways.. plus my skin in pretty much flawless thanks to my heritage So it feels a bit pointless putting it on unless theres a big ulgy pimple popping up

I only wear eyeliner and mellow lipstick when I go out to dinner on a special occasion, or when I'm out seeing customers..

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While don't wear a ton of it, I admit to being an absolute makeup junkie! For me, it's fun fingerpaint if anyone likes to read cosmetic reviews, I'm a write for two sites: cosmeticconnection.com, and sudsreport.com. Both are fun places to read about new products and what real people think of them!

i love:

Benefit cosmetics (favorites include "Get Even" Powder, "Benetint" Blush, and "Lemon-Aid" cream, which does a great job of covering my "lack o' sleep" circles)

MAC - they make the most wonderful concealer, and their eyeshadows have excellent staying power!

Urban Decay - Area 51 lip gunk is a staple of mine - I'm also wild about their "Urban Defense" skincare line. It is very soothing, and prevents break outs.

Origins - makes the best eye cream, "Eye Doctor," although I'm pretty sure that most of you don't need eye cream yet I also adore their "ginger" scented bath products.

Oh gosh, I better stop, or I'll go on forever!

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poohbear785
Neophyte
Member # 3354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poohbear785     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love makeup. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It expresses yourself just like clothes. When people say its fake, thats just like saying their clothes is fake. Think about it. Wearing no make up on your face is like your face is going naked...now what if you wanted your body to look "natural" too? Would you or would you not wear clothes. The same thing with a tan too. Many girls go to tanning beds to get a tan. That would be considered fake too wouldn't it? Come on people, natual is being who you are and what you like. Beauty isn't going natural, its what makes you happy.
Posts: 11 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fake" isn't a word I'd use, but as far as difference between clothes and make-up, this is mine:

I know how to (and do) make clothing. I don't know how to make decorative cosmetics, (although I'd like to learn, I imagine it'd be more difficult).

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to wear some make-up. I don't like alot though. Usually I wear lipgloss or a soft colored lipstick, some sparkly eye-shadow, and some mascara.
If I'm having a bad skin day and I have an important thing to do then I throw on foundation. I don't wear it all the time because it makes my skin worse than it already is.

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to wear some make-up. I don't like alot though. Usually I wear lipgloss or a soft colored lipstick, some sparkly eye-shadow, and some mascara.
If I'm having a bad skin day and I have an important thing to do then I throw on foundation. I don't wear it all the time because it makes my skin worse than it already is.

i think when it comes to makeup lass is better.

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most guys dont' like makeup. I have a lot of guy friends, and they've all said the same thing: you don't need to wear makeup. In fact, they usually say that large amounts of makeup are major turn-offs, like they'll see a girl and say "damn, she would be hot if it weren't for all that makeup". Not to say that I don't wear makeup, or like it. I think that it looks good to a certain degree, and it looks better on some people than others. I like the way I wear my makeup. But I don't think that anybody necessarily looks bad without it.

------------------
you wanna be just like me, i wish i could be myself
you wanna be just like me,
i can't think of no one else...
-Reel Big Fish

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bottleblond
Neophyte
Member # 3511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bottleblond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love puttin make-up on it makes me more confident and i enjoy doin it! i dont have bad skin so im not coverin spots up dat often i jus think it makes me look 10 times better! i especially like doin my eyes boys always seem to like nice eyes!

------------------
lots 'a' luv like jelly tots with vodka shots
xMEx

Posts: 30 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bottleblond
Neophyte
Member # 3511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bottleblond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although my boyfriend who i jus broke up with neva liked me that much wen i had lots on and he was always talkin bout his last girlfriend who he said looked fake coz she wore to much of the stuff so i guess it jus depends on wat thier taste in girls are!!!1

------------------
lots 'a' luv like jelly tots with vodka shots
xMEx

Posts: 30 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daydreamer
Neophyte
Member # 3660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daydreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE ARE NOT IN THE 80's ANYMORE

Make up is fun I am not sayin i dont wear it but believe me if a guy likes you let them like you for you and noot a mask! i think conceler stick on blemishes a little powder on the nose and cheeks soft natural lip gloss and mascara and it looks good cant go wrong with that LOOK soft and natural

Posts: 22 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Personally, I never wear it, except for very special occasions. I also dress unisex, don't shave my legs, and rarely wear jewelry. I've asked my b/f what he likes, and he tells me that I'm always beautiful, and my beauty is enhanced by me doing whatever makes me most comfortable in myself, makeup or no. I guess that means he likes me without makeup. <g>

------------------
Signed, Moth.

"Nothing in Life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skaterdansgirl469
Neophyte
Member # 3780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skaterdansgirl469     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont know i guess it depends on my mood, i mean somedays i have no makeup on at all and then some days i have mascara and pwder and blush, the basics, and other days i have on heavy eyeliner wild lipstick and glitter, it really depends on how i am feelign in the morning when i get ready. but thats just me i dont knwo guys may eb turned off by makes up but i mean as long as you are not ashamed of who you are adn you are confident then i say you do what you want to do, i know that if i am wearing a coat of mascara i feel confident and strong. even with out makeup i feel that way too! so it depends on your slef essteme

------------------
sex is not the answer, yes is the answer, sex is the question!

Posts: 20 | From: crystal lake il. USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.