Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Pink Slip » Ladies Room » What makes you feel "Womanly"? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What makes you feel "Womanly"?
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I peeked into the boy's bathroom (lol) and this is what I found! What makes 'em feel manly? Forget that! What makes you feel womanly???

First off, lipgloss, sparkles, nailpolish, makeup. Nuff said. Now I just wear lipgloss, and the occasional nailpolish and mascara, but I suppose some of us love our make up.

Next, bikinis. I've never met someone who doesn't feel feminim in a bikini. What else are you supposed to feel? Definetly not manly!

Headkerchiefs and pigtails. I know the look drives some people crazy, but I love it. I think it makes you look really cutesy...which isn't always good, but can be.

Bras, panties, anything lacy. Do I need to explain this?

Silky smooth legs. I have nothing against not shaving, more power to you. But my legs make me feel more feminem.

Bath and Body Works. Who doesn't want to shower themselves with yummy body sprays?

Dancing. Sorry guys, you just don't look that cute lipsynching to some pop people and shaking your butt. Okay maybe the shaking your butt part, but us girls pull it off much better!

Yeah, this is all kind of stereotypical, but it's me. So what do you gIRLS think?

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was an intersting wuestion there, and I think it is here, too.

In general, I find that the older I become, the more comnplex my gender identity is. I feel both masculine and femine traits in myself, but the ones that I associate most with feeling feminine are:

Feelings of deep compassion and empathy
Babies that make me giggle
Long, hot baths
The way my hips move when I walk
Decorating myself, and sparkles certainly help.
The smooth feel of my own skin
My curves
Talking to my mother, even when it isn't always pleasant!
Making music
Ovulating and menstruating (yeah, duh, I know)
How the sound of low, deep voices make me shiver very pleasantly
Flirting
Appreciating other women

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hee hee, I was just going to post this topic.
Anyway, my boyfriend and I had an argument about the "manly" topic last night. I'm kindof divided on this issue.

Basically I believe that gender is a completely SOCIAL construction. Therefore, I feel uncomfortable associating things other than my body with being "female".

However, I also realize that it's impossible to escape your past. I can see how it might be comforting to be able to link yourself to the traditions of your gender. For example, I sometimes feel like I am linked to other women through time when I sew, or clean, or care for children. I feel like I am better able to understand why I am a feminist, when I can feel a kinship to women through history.

Similarly, I can see how doing physical labour would make men feel manly. Perhaps men can better understand the hardships of men who went to war, or who were slaves. Hopefully this will make them understand pacifism, etc.

I suppose that what I'm saying is that I don't really think we should celebrate differences between genders, because these differences are actually oppressing us. However, I think it's important to recognize past and present inequalities so that we can improve the future.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Rizzo, that if you looked at a large groups answer to something like this, what you'd start to see is more commonality than difference.

I don't think it is recognizing differences that opress one gender or another. It is not respecting those differences, taking advantage of them, or using them to control any one group. It is also all in how you look at it.

I'm simply not of the mind that ignoring the differences that are there for WHATEVER reason -- be it cultural, physical or emotional, etc -- is the solution to anything, and even if it were, it'd be a quick fix. We all in the long run need to be able to accept others and appreciate our uniqueness at the same time.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I know, I'm always too serious

Anyway, I just think that things like makeup, shaved legs and dresses shouldn't be what make us feel like women. That's not a value judgement on people who DO feel womanly because of those things, it's a judgement of society. I wish that men would be accepted if they wore makeup/shaved their legs/wore dresses.

The whole idea of being told what is masculine/feminine is distasteful to me. The media tells me I should pluck and shave and wear makeup if I want to be a woman. But, funny that, I feel like a woman anyway! Because I think the core of what being a woman is, is our bodies and our histories, NOT the way we pretty ourselves up to conform to what men think women should be like.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

But that's the point here, Rizzo. Pixie is asking how YOU identify feeling female, not what you're told.

Again, as with other things, I really feel that if you're asking others to accept your own notions of something, you have to accept theirs too, even if they aren't yours. It just strikes me as a bit hypocritical to say that your notion of something is okay, and someone else's isn't. I also think that jumping to the idea that lipstick making a woman feel feminine is about what they're told is hasty. for some people, it may be because society tells them it does, and for others it may simply be because *THEY* feel that it does.

I'm not disagreeing with you in terms of what you're saying, in fact, I generally do agree with you. However, I think that if anyone spins on someone and tells them their definitions aren't okay because they are traditional, it's no better or different than someone spinning on you because yours aren't.

I know men in my life are accepted on a myriad of levels, and by who they are, not what they look likel or how they fit a mold. But i also know that I can accept them -- and women -- regardless of if that mold is what mine is.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol @ Starpoet*
I was just gonna write that ... because that song makes me think of the same things!! hehe I have a lot of things that make me feel "womanly" ... hmm

Playing w/ barbies (weird, i know ... sexist?)
Being held by my boyfriend (ya know, those "i'm the big protector" kind of hugs ... makes me feel all safe and warm and fuzzy hehe)
Menstruating (yes, guys can't do it ... hehe)
Holding babies (even baby animals ... i know that i would have the parts to be it's mommy if i were only half cat ... *lol)

There are a few more but i won't bore you too much ... hehe

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rizzo I see what you're saying, and that's not what I implied. Actually, all the "popular" guys at my school all shave their legs. Why? Who knows, but almost all the guys do it. I know a lot that wax their eyebrows (can we say unibrow?) And no one calls them less masculine for it. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just wanted to know what makes YOU feel womanly.

I hate barbies, I love soccer. While I love sparkles and glitter I don't wear makeup. "Dressing up" for me constitutes putting on a non-faded non-baggy non-torn to shreds pair of jeans and a nice shirt. I only wear mascara probably less than once a month, and I use chapstick. But the makeup might be because I was in a performing dance group for three years and you have to wear a ridiculous (but necessary) amount of makeup!

I don't think I fall into the "stereotype" of being girly. I definetly ignore advertising, I buy whatever mascara is on sale.
So sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intent.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I just want to briefly interrupt to defend the poor unibrow.

No, really. I do. I feel it is my civic duty.

My husband has been plucking his for years. Recently, I suggested he grow it in, and he looked at me like I had just landed from Mars in a hot pink lobster suit. And yet, it seems he has now been growing it back in in the last couple weeks.

But I *LIKE* unibrows. Really, I do. And if you're thinking, oh ick, oh yuck, oh...oh...unibarf, I have two words for you that I have personally seen even make a straight man go speechless (and seemed to have convinced my honey that he, too, should love his unibrow) and say...

...oh, mama.

Ready?

Johnathon Schaech.

Okay, I will now return to being a grownup and will let that sit with you for a wee bit.

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather and I seem to disagree on something.
That's not a unibrow. Bushy, yes. One big caterpillar, no.

He is a hottie though!

As for the original question. I just feel like a woman by my mere exsistence. I have always felt like a female, but only in the last few years (say, at age 25) did I start feeling like a woman. I think it has something to do with adult responsiblities, but my gut says it is something more. I just haven't put my finger on it yet.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

He's an actor, for crying out loud. Lighting, honey, makeup. People are morons about unibrows. No, it's not a cetrpillar, but as a better example on the womanly end, I give you Freida Kahlo.

Now really, don't make me do this again!

Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole unibrow thing has me laughing out loud. Thanks, folks! I can't say I find them too attractive myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat!

What makes me feel womanly? Bubble baths. Top of the list, right there.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, you say that now, dear Lady, but someday your unibrow will come for you, too.
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lady Moonlight, I totally agree with you! Bubble baths all the way. I love bubble baths, it's at the tope of my list too.

I don't know what else makes me feel womanly. Maybe being looked at by men. (I could be looked at by women too, but that's just not my preference. I hope I didn't offend anyone.) Knowing that some one that I could fall in love with (or am in love with, at the moment) is staring at me, just makes me feel like more of a woman. I don't know if anyone gets what I am saying.

Even though, I am under age to vote, that would make me feel more of a woman too. If you think about it, women weren't used to vote. When I vote, it will make me be more proud to be a woman, than a citizen of the US. That goes with other woman's rights too.

I have to agree with some other ladies that have posted, my period is pretty high up there. Men can't do it.

Someone earlier said talking to their mother. She has a point. I feel the same way when I am bonding with my mother.

I think this post was a really good idea! I can't wait to read some more.

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writing, singing (I trained and worked as an opera/classical music singer for a long time), and cooking -- all are ways I express myself, and express very intimate, emotional, integral parts of myself.

Teaching -- always feels like a very maternal, nurturing thing for me.

Hanging out with close women friends

Appreciating other women

Being with my girlfriend

Being with my boyfriend

Enjoying my body and my curves

Gardening -- growing things, indoors or out

Flirting

Working out and feeling my own strength

Building things -- I really enjoyed the powerful feeling when I rebuilt part of my back deck recently, and it felt very womanly and strong to be able to do that.

Climbing trees

Swimming in the ocean

Sometimes doing the makeup-hair-dresses thing makes me feel womanly. Sometimes it just feels like drag. That depends on my mood. I find that in general, the things that make me feel happy and "in my own skin" are the things that make me feel most womanly.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummm womanly???
For me its
-having a closet full of skirts and dresses
-spending time with hair and makeup
-facials, bubble baths, pedicures, all that fun stuff
-how I know I look good in my clothes (especailly my school kilt)
-when guys check me out
-how i mange to be happy even with those terrible cramps
-reading a good book with my cat sitting on my lap
-how my hair blows wildly in the wind when I'm in the car with the top down
-cooking for people
-cleaning and caring for others
(yeah I know housewife stuff )
-my swimsuit
- and of course when my bf just stares and smiles (even though sometimes it annoyes me)
OK I'll stop there I'm a total GIRLY-GIRL and proud of it.

and on the unibrow thingy my bf has one and I remember at first not liking it but now 6 months later its part of him and more for me to like cause hes not changing himself just to look 'good' according to others. :̃

------------------
*~ Daisy ~*

Love ya wheelbarrow & wheelbarrows full

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything sensual or sexual, and being in the nude. Clothes, when you get down to it, are only social adaptions.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

I'm sorry everyone. I wasn't trying to say I thought this topic was a bad idea. And I realize that I have no right to say what anyone should consider womanly about themselves. But I do think it can be enlightening to discover WHY you consider some things to be "feminine".
I recognize that I am biased. I've known many transgendered people, and some have been very close to me. So obviously, my perspective differs a little from the norm (if there is one).

Heather
Member # 3

I don't think you need to be sorry, Rizzo. I was simply suggesting that *you* give as much thought to why you find certain things feminine (or misogynistic) as you're asking others too.

I'll be honest: I feel just as female with a shaved head, furry armpits and overalls as I do in lipstick and platfrom heels. Why? Because it's all me. Like anyone else, I am multidimensional.

You'll find that the staff here have pretty much run the gamut in terms of who we know, what we have seen and what we have experienced: I've had many transgendered friends and colleagues too, but I'm not sure how that relates to this.

Let me say this frankly: I did my time in the women's studies department in college, too, and I'm not sure that there is any less biased propaganda in that camp than there is on the other end of the table.

Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

I believe that I have given quite a lot of thought to why I find certain things feminine or misogynistic. I realize that I am only 18, and I could change my views, but I do believe that I have thought about this issue more than others my age.

I also didn't mean to suggest that "I'm so great because I know transgendered people". I'm not at all surprised that you and other staff members at this site also know many transgendered people. However, I think you guys are pretty exceptional (in a good way). I also think that transgendered issues DO, in fact relate to the question of what you consider feminine. If you are close to someone transgendered, you're forced to think about gender stereotypes all the time. Or, at least that's what happened to me. I can't speak for everybody.

PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My womanly list(in no particular order):
1. Curves
2. Being naked
3. Being naked with other women in a nonsexual way. Maybe that doesn't make sense if you haven't been to sleepaway camp, but my bunk really bonded this summer when we would sit around naked and chat.
4. Masturbating
5. Menstruating
6. Being a witch(no, that's not a joke)
7. Feeling connected to the moon
8. Dancing
9. Long flowy skirts
10.Long flowy hair
11.Green hair
12.Learning Karate
13.Teaching(Karate, Spanish, Colors-little kids)
14.Spending time with small children and babies
15.Singing(I'm a soprano. . .pretty damn womanly.)
16.Writing poetry
17.Standing up for myself
18.Long hot baths
19.My fuzzy blanket
20.Lip gloss

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet*howl
Activist
Member # 554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet*howl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes me feel womanly:

-Looking in the mirror every morning for the last seven or so years and watching my curves appear. And now I admire them. I may gripe about them but I would feel much less womanly with out them.

-My cheekbones and my eyes and my lips. My cheek bones are semi-high like my mothers and my grandmothers, and they are women I have always looked up to. That makes me feel womanly. My eyes can show everything I am feeling or the can show nothing at all, usually they show everything if you know how to look. That makes me feel womanly. My lips are the lips that place kisses on children, dogs, cats and my partner in everything, they tell my family, my friends and my partner that I love them. They express my emotions in movement and set. That makes me feel womanly.

- My vulva, uterus and ovaries, not because they are something a man doesn't have, but because I am a woman and they are the parts that let me define myself as a woman if I so choose.

-Sex. It makes me feel womanly because I am sharing my self with another person which allows me to feel, moreso because I am sharing myself, who I am. And I am a woman.

-Being with my partner. My partner makes me feel like a woman. Not that I wouldn't be a
woman with out my partner, but I feel more womanly when I am with them.

Those are a few of the things that make me feel womanly

------------------
-Sweet*howl

Knowledge is power, use it wisely

Posts: 62 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...me? Feminine? What a concept...j/k.
-I LOVE barbies. I always made mine Amazons
-The "power" I have over my significant other. You know. The look that says I love you dearly, but I'm lonely...come over here...
-I love singing. I was a soprano before I stopped choir, but my voice has depened just a little.
-My reproductive system. It's a miracle of nature, that only women can do. With a little help, of course...
-Treating myself to a facial. One of the do-it-yourself kind. Those rock!
-My curves. I always admire them before I take a shower. It's habit.
-Spending time with my close buds. All of which are female(until last year I had a malephobia)
-Hot baths with a little of my favorite insense. And some nice broadway classics in the background.
-The theater. I have no idea why.

But then again, this is just me

------------------
Life is short, so let me play!

And play I shall...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristi
Neophyte
Member # 1353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm...... Talking about stuff like periods, boobs and cute guys with my girlfreinds (and our friend Erich who sits and listens and talks about boobs sometimes.. *lol*) And giggling like Hell the entire time.

------------------
I'm a bitch.. And proud! But everybody loves me.
Bad Boy! Go to my room!

Posts: 12 | From: Well, it all started whne my dad was too lazy to put on a damn condom....... | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im love being a woman, having all the parts i have, everything.....
except my period, i hate it soo much. but i guess if i lost it id feel left out. i also love being able to talk to my puppy and not get weird looks

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RandiP
Neophyte
Member # 1456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RandiP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a male-to-female pre-op transsexual and
what makes me feel "womanly" is the whole
package. I really like being able to put
put my clothes on from panties out to
my dresses. I also like using women's
restrooms and having to sit down all the
time. It's finding out how some people
treat me nice and others treat me bad.

I'd also like to add:

crying

my swimsuit

my breasts

my women friends

and I'm even going to buried as a woman
when I leave this earth.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RandiP (edited 09 October 2000).]

Posts: 6 | From: Seymour,IN USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat
Neophyte
Member # 1543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first off who ever started this, don't feel bad i saw it too. he he. come on we all look on the boys board.

TGIF (thank GOD i'm female!!!!!)
since my whole thing is individuality, i love being a girl cause its easier for me to be like a guy!
that makes absolutely no sense
if a guy acts feminin in any way they get beat on big time by their other guy friends. pansy and such. but if a girl goes around in baggy jeans one day she woun't have her friends questioning her feminity. that comes in handy for me cause i don't like all really girly things but i can act very feminin if i want to.

i love bein a girl!!!
i think i look sexier then any guy
- i'm not all hairy
- i bathe more then twice a week
- i'm not always grabing my croch
- i have curves
- i don't think about sex once every 12 seconds
- my hands are soft
- my nails are looong (but alll natural!)
- i don't need globs of gel in my hair for it to look good
- AND I DON'T NEED TO WEAR MY UNDERWEAR ON THE OUTSIDE OF MY PANTS!!!!!

but i'm not like those annoying girly girls who...
- can't play any sports or they'll get all sweaty
- who are "GOING TO MARRY NICK FROM THE BS BOYS!!!!!" yyyyuck
- who talk on the phone forever
- need to go to the bathrooms in groups of 5
- who can ONLY wear desiner clothes
- who gossip
- and who are scared of everything

i can just go around in a tight tank top and baggy jeans and i feel confident and happy with who i am. and nobody can tell me other wise thought i have been asked many a time if i think i'm a guy or a girl.

be yourselves ladies!

Posts: 20 | From: Basking Ridge, NJ, US | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before i got pregnant - i really didn't feel very feminine at all. I prefered pants over skirts, t-shirts to blouses... and now.. I just FEEL better in skirts...i FEEL better putting on a little makeup or shaving my legs occasionally. somehow, i guess it just brought out the estrogen in me

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i never was much of a girly girl (though i've been more girly lately -- i think it's 'cause i have a guy to balance me out)

but if i have to center my femininity into something, i'd have to say it's my breasts. i'm quite buxom, and it makes me feel so feminine to fill out a top.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boobs. I seem to have these remarkably appealing mammaries, though they seem to function to comfort people more than as a sexual thing. It think it all goes with being sort of maternal. I'm very female in shape, protective, tend to try to comfort people, cook, serve tea, and just generally do mum things.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. I have quite a tomboy streak, but I prefer to refer to myself as the best of both worlds

Feminine stuff:
*Being able to talk about girl stuff like periods and having babies. I hate the actual experience of having a period because I hurt SOOO much, I'm exhausted, and packing tampons around is inconvenient. But I like "being in on the know"
*My breasts, minimal as they are.
*Getting my hair done someplace expensive that pampers me.
*Simple, flowwy sundresses
*Being short. Being able to fit my shoes inside other guys shoes, borrowing a guy's sweater and it goes past my knees. For some reason I just get a kick out of being little.
*When I sing along to the radio with guys it's a nice chord.
*My favorite tank tops.
*Stroking my boyfriend's hair and face, watching his expression turn to something just so...loved, peaceful, calm, amazed...wow.
*Shopping with other girls
*I practically never see guys hugging each other, or walking around arm and arm, or fixing each other's clothes and hair. I don't do that a lot, but I'm glad I can when I want to.
*No hairy knuckles!

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanzAngel2002
Neophyte
Member # 1112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanzAngel2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What makes me feel womenly? Well here is MY list.
-make up (especially flavored lip gloss, my bf says he likes to kiss it off me)
-long skirts & dresses
-short skirts & dresses
-getting dressed up for no reason
-seeing guys heads turn when I walk by
-bathing suits
-snuggling w/ my bf (he makes me feel safe)
-hanging out with friends
-going to girls night out
-being w/ my bf
-trying on clothes (I know it sounds funny)
-the way my hips move when I walk
-my curves
-dancing
-singing
-knowing that I can get a guys attention just by smiling a little in their way
-having a guy ask I advise from a girls POV
-having guys ask me why it is so hard to figure us out (I think it is funny that guys think we are so hard to figure out)

I guess that is some of my list (at least what I can think of now).

Posts: 4 | From: Cedar Park, Tx, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carol
Activist
Member # 1661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
things that make me feel girly:

wearing a short skirt
wearing a bikini
feeling my breast wiggle when i walk
my period.wearing a pad
silky underwear. wearing a bra
dancing

Posts: 43 | From: brick | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead Dog
Activist
Member # 1672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dead Dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the first thing on my list would certainly be *lingerie*. Not trashy things that make me look like I stepped out of a pr0n movie, but really sexy, feminine things that allow me to *own* my body.

I also have to agree with PoetGirl's post (err, back in September?) - being naked with other women in a nonsexual way is a great thing. So many women in our society are not comfortable with their bodies: they are self-conscious of what they perceive as physical flaws, they are uncomfortable with the idea of their sexuality, or whatever. Just being able to relax and be open about your body around other women is a positive experience.

My friends and I used to sit around topless on the weekends while we watched movies and ate popcorn; sometimes we would ask each other questions about female issues (like periods, breasts, etc.), but mostly, we just ignored our nakedness and were comfortable.

It made us each feel more at ease with our own body, and it also made us a lot closer. After all, how can you keep secrets from someone that's sat around topless with you?

Also way up there on my list are: matching fingernail- and toenail- polish; trying on beautiful and expensive dresses that I never intend to buy; being with my fiance, who makes me feel incredibly wonderful about myself; sex; eating fresh blackberries (I don't know why, it just feels feminine to me); dancing - not just hopping and thrashing around, but real dancing, beautiful fluid movement, where you have to be aware of (and in control of) every inch of your body; and Pecan Praline ice cream (especially when it's fed to me in bed!)

------------------
Ignore the Gable candle!
http//www.geocities.com/musingkitten23

Posts: 61 | From: texas - yeehaw, or something | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broken_wishbone
Activist
Member # 1569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broken_wishbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just quit my job as a lifeguard and swimming instructor at a local pool, but I always felt most womanly when I had to fix a boo-boo or comfort a crying child. Pretty much anything that brings my maternal instincts forward makes me feel like a woman.
A new favorite of mine is going braless. I feel so liberated. Now when I feel like bras are just restricting me from being a woman. It's just one more layer between me and femininity. I suggest everyone tries it. (:

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.