Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » Pink Slip » Ladies Room » Terrified of the Gyno!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Terrified of the Gyno!!
AngelsBrat
Activist
Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelsBrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okie, i know i'm not the only one that is scared of going to the gyno for the first time, so i figured hey, why not, post a new topic about it.

So here it is ... I had a dream (nightmare!) about going to the gynocologist the other nite!! My mom wanted me to go, and i went but wouldn't get in the stirups so she kicked me out and sent me to live w/ my dad!! I live w/ my dad now, so that was the part that i found totally out of whack

Another thing ... My mom has a pap smear every year, and when she was 26 they found cancer cells in her uterus. Does this make me at higher risk for it? She's in remission right now, but from the chemo and crap she went through, her kidneys are on their way out so she's also on dialysis

I have read the gyno article on scarleteen (along w/ almost all of the rest of them) and it says that you should go yearly after your first period. At my last physical my doc told me that if i never have intercourse (see Ms. S, some of us *do* listen lol) then i never have to have a pap test. What i'm wondering is ... When am i supposed to go? Do i go to the gyno now and just not have the pap test or what? I'm so lost!! And since i live w/ my dad, i don't know if i can just say "daddy i think i need to go to the gyno, can i go to yours?" hehe He's squimish enough knowing that i'm on the pill (i'm a virgin, it's for my period)

AHHH!! I'm so scared I mean like seriously terrified. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my tummy. I have been a few times, when i was 6 or 7 because i was getting yeast infections all the time, so i don't know what makes me so scared ... since i've been and i'm still alive to tell about it. Can someone help or relate at all ... Or at least tell me i'm not totally weird!!

Posts: 55 | From: Toronto,Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nemovirginympho
Neophyte
Member # 1208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nemovirginympho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really afriad too, i know i need to go though, for my health for the better or the worse. early detection an treatment are the best ways to go
Posts: 16 | From: NYC. NY. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angels, I'd go ahead and go, and do ask for a pap, especially because it can detect things like HPV which aren't just passed by intercourse.

Your risk of cancer is higher because of your mother's cancer.

Let me add that I have never in my life had a negative experience at a gynecologists office. Really -- without being too crass -- I think it's far more scary to have an inexperienced boy rooting around in your pants than a trained medical expert who knows exactly what they're doing and has done it hundreds of times. :

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Miz Scarlet here, except on her level of insistence - I'll say it again -

GET A PAP TEST! Your doctor may have been a little correct about this on one level, but the Pap test is VERY important, and can detect many signs that there's something wrong with you long before you'll be able to tell. And there are many things that can go wrong, gynecologically, whether you're having sex.

Not to scare you - but, it's important! It is your body, after all, the only one you've got. ;]

------------------
~lemming

"There's only now, there's only this/Forget regret or life is yours to miss/No other road, no other way/No day but today..."~"Mimi" in "Another Day," from RENT, by Jonathan Larson

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're a virgin, you're most likely okay, but going to the gyno would probably set your mind at ease (once you get the results back, that is). Often they recommend that you get a pap smear before you start the pill, and supposedly the pill puts you at a slightly higher risk of vaginal infections. You could wait, but you'll have to go one day, so you might as well go while you know you're healthy. That will make it a lot less nerve-wracking.
It's really not so scary, getting a pap smear. I just had my first one a few weeks ago, and the anticipation of it was a lot worse than the actual test. My doctor is a woman, and she's very professional, so I didn't feel weird about exposing my body to her. I must say, the speculum thingy looked really scary, but the doctor assured me that only a small part of it would go inside me. I barely felt anything, except a little scratching. The doctor chatted with me throughout, and I felt quite at ease.
The only bad thing is the wait. I'm pretty confident I'm healthy, but I can see how, for some, the 3 week wait for results could feel really long.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camryn
Activist
Member # 1242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been afraid of the gyno myself and gone through my first examination recently I just wanted to tell you it really is no big deal. Everyone told me this beforehand but I had lingering doubts that it would be painful. What Miz Scarlet said about having an inexperienced boy rooting around in your pants being scarier is so true. If I were you I'd tell your doctor upfront that you're nervous about this so he/she will take extra care to make sure you're comfortable during the examination. You'll feel so much better after you've had it done and you know everything is ok. Believe me, I know what you mean when you say you're terrified - been there! Trust me, it's so much scarier in your head than it is in real life.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never visited the gyno..is that necissarily a bad thing?!

------------------
WoRD!

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be. If you're sexually active then you DEFINATELY need to see a gynecologist.

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am absolutely terrified about going to a gyno but I am going to be forced to go soon.
Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I think of it a lot like going to the dentist.

I have spent a *lot* of time in gynecologists' offices for various reasons over the course of my life. And no, it's not a joyous wonderful time that sends me dashing to the car singing little songs about how delighted I am to be going to the gyno.

But you know, it's also really not that awful, and you need to do it for your health... not unlike going to the dentist.

And, like going to the dentist, if you put it off long enough, and you go after things have already started to go wrong, it's a whole lot less pleasant to deal with problems that have been allowed to progress than it is to nip things in the bud.

Just sit back, open wide, and say "ah." It'll be over before you know it, and gynecologists are generally pretty nice folks -- if you're scared, tell 'em so. They'll be happy to reassure you and explain things to you.

Sure beats having to find out you're having a gyn problem the hard way, like by ending up in an emergency room or in emergency surgery because of a problem you hadn't been taking care of because you were scared to go to the gyno -- and yes, that does happen.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having terrible teeth genetically, and spent too much time both at the dentist and procrastinating dentists visits and oral suregry, I have to disagree Miz Hanne.

The gynecologist is MUCH better than the dentist. Much.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm agreeing with Miz Scarlet, on both the genetically-predisposed dental problems and on the fact that I'd rather be in the stirrups at the gyn's than in the dentist's chair, any day!

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

"This was a Pizza Hut, now it's all covered in daisies..." ~Talking Heads, in "Nothing But Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camryn
Activist
Member # 1242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious AngelsBrat - did you go yet and if so how did it go? Don't worry Pink Lemonade. I know you won't believe me until it's over but the examination really won't be scary and you'll feel so relieved afterwards - like you can do anything.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually no i haven't ... I want to tho, and i keep saying i'm gonna call my aunt so she can take me (i won't go alone! i'm too scared) and i just haven't gotten around to it ... i'm such a procrastinator I know i'll feel better once it's over, it's just getting the first foot in the door that's hard
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, LilBlueSmurf = AngelsBrat

GRR ... I don't like this delay thing. I really really don't. It wouldn't let me write for the longest time ... GRR

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
decymberstar
Neophyte
Member # 1433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for decymberstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you don't have anything to worry about, when i first went to the "gyno" i was scared out of my mind, but it really isn't as bad as people say it is. just relax and trust that they have been doing this for years, and it's also good for your health.

------------------
~ decymberstar*

Posts: 1 | From: michigan | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LorienMarene
Neophyte
Member # 1455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LorienMarene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm terrified of the gyno. So a couple friends and I are going on the buddy system. We all have appointments in a row so that someone is always there If you are scared...

------------------
These people abstain, it is true: but the bitch Sensuality glares enviously out of all they do.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 4 | From: Raton, NM, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not at all terrified of the gyno, I'm just curious about when I'm really supposed to start going. I know, when you're sexually active, but is that the scarleteen definition of sex(oral and manual count) or everyone else I know's definition of sex(intercourse)? I know that oral is risky in terms of STDs but does that mean that a pap smear is necessary? Thanks.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When should you first visit the gynecologist?

Well, to quote the lovely Miz Scarlet's article on your first gynecologist visit (which can be found at http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/gyne.html ):

quote:
in fact, after you begin your period, you should begin the habit of having an annual (yearly) exam with a gynecologist. You regular doctor (general practitioner, or GP) can't determine your vaginal or reproductive health, and how healthy or unhealthy you are doesn't always have to do with sex.

It's kinda like going in for teeth cleaning or eye exams or any other kind of preventative medicine. Your reproductive system is just another system, and so once you know it's working, it's a good idea to make sure that it's working as well as it can be.

Going in before you become sexually active also means that you'll have a chance to get information and access to resources about birth control and preventing STDs before they even become necessary for you. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Erin, who has a doctor's appt (but not a gyn one) at 8 am tomorrow. Yuck!

------------------
PHILOSOPHY: Basically, this involves sitting in a room and deciding there
is no such thing as reality and then going to lunch. -- Dave Barry

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, i just went to the gyno a few days ago. it was the second time i had ever gone.

the first time i went, i tried to be calm. i tried taking deep breaths. i told myself it was nothing to be afraid of. i reassured myself because i had already been fingered, a gyno exam wouldn't hurt one bit.

i think i recall screaming bloody murder when she was checking my ovaries. i came out feeling completely violated. and i was sore. sorry if that scares you, but that was my experience.

but this time, i went in, and the did their little tests. they did a pap smear. it didn't hurt in the least (i have no idea why i was in so much pain that first time). everything was normal. and because i haven't heard back from the lab, that means i'm clean

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Bloody murder?! Oh my ... this is not good ...

I know i need to go tho ... I mean i know that. I'm on birth control pills for medical reasons (periods and stuff) but i'm considering taking my relationship w/ my bf to the next level ... I would like to be checked before i do that

xALK3x
Neophyte
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xALK3x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought that in order to get a prescription for birth control pills that you had to go to the gynocologist first. weird...
Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Hmm ... No, i only had to go to the regular doc to get them because it was for medical reasons. If you want to get them for actual birth control, you have to go to a gyno ...
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: some general practitioners do prescribe birth control pills for non-gynecological reasons, some don't. Some general practitioners will do gynecological exams as well as non-GYN stuff, some won't. It depends on the doctor.

In general, pelvic exams don't hurt much or at all. Every once in a blue moon, I come across someone who has a bad experience with sudden extreme pain, usually when a practitioner accidentally puts too much pressure on an ovary while doing a routine palpation of the ovary. It doesn't happen often... certainly not often enough to keep you from going to the gyno. As with any other doctor's visit, though, sometimes they do have to do things that hurt or are uncomfortable. As with any other doctor's visit, they also generally do their best to minimize that and to make it as painless as possible.

Breathe deep, relax, and it'll be fine.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty good with going to the gyno, but my last experience left me in a lot of pain, It wasn't a doctor I normally see. I was considering abortion, and they wanted to do an internal exam... so I agreed.

I don't know if it normally hurts that much when you're pregnant or what... but for a few days afterward, i hurt.

No, it wasn't an experience that would make me stop going to see my GYN... but still, it's just something you remeber, and it'll make me more nervous for next time.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire
Activist
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok wat im confused about is when to go to the gyno.
when do u go after u get ure first period?
1 month after?
the next week?
The next year?
do u have to go when uve got ure period or can u go when u dont have it?
do they like poke around in there?
i dont think i'd b very confortable with that........

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Claire,
Erin just linked to a full article we have at the site all about this at: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/gyne.html

As always, I highly suggest reading through the site before you hit the boards. There is a great short list of basic articles in the FAQ section linked at the top of every board page, here: "Hey You! Lookie Here! Board Help and Information"

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fitst things first. Read this great article about your first gyno-visit.
http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/gyne.html

It is best to go when you are not on your period so that they can do a complete exam.

Once you have started getting your period it is important to go once a year. You can choose when to go. it could be soon after you get your first period or it be a couple of months down the road.

I think it really important to go to the gynocolgist regulary even if you are not having any kind of sex because it helps you and your doctor see what your body is like. You end up with a medical record of your wellbeing. If things change you and your doctor and see that. Plus, it is a powerful thing to do. Yaking responsibilty for your own health is a mature thing to do.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't get over the mental aspect of it. I have no plans to go anytime soon, but I'm not afraid of any pain, I'd just feel so...I want to say raped, but not quite that bad, but worse than just "violated" I mean, I don't want anyone near to inside me whom I don't love and who doesn't love me, but I'm basically hearing "do this or die" ... "submit or die" I mean I really can't think of someone touching me down there in a casual, doctorly way.
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Well ... looks like Smurfie here is gonna have to have her first pap test on Tuesday! I did end up telling my mom, and now i have to go to the doc (also to get a gyno now) and that will probably come up. I'm scared silly!!
ILOVECASEY
Neophyte
Member # 1615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILOVECASEY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT DO THEY DO AT A GYNOCOLOGIST OFFIC?
Posts: 15 | From: MADSOIN,MN.US | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

We have a whole article about what they do at the site: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/gyne.html

It really is helpful to read through some of the site itself before hitting the boards.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Umm ok can someone help me figure this out?

I went to the doc today and asked for a referal to a gyno, and he wouldnt' give me one. He said that here (Ont.) it's not very common for people to go to gynocologists unless there is a problem, because GP's can do the yearly exams. However, i don't need a yearly exam because i've only been sexually active for 10 mins (in the words of my mother) and my doctor thinks it would be a waste of time. I've heard that answer from two of my doctors now ... what's up?!

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

I had this problem due to my parents' HMO a couple of years ago, because they kept saying I wasn't covered till I was 17 for the gyne whether I was having sex or not.

My advice: PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN. You are the patient or customer. tell him that you want/need that referral, and get it!

good luck, girlie! remember, the line "can I have a number to contact your supervising physician" works wonders, too.

~lem

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lilbluesmurf. It is quite common in Canada for yearly exams that you see your family doctor. I used to until i moved. Then, I began going to a youth clinic and built a relationship with the doctors and nurses there.

Your family doctor should give you the yearly exam (Pap and the rest described in the first gyno article). I can't see why your doctor would not do it. Perhaps the doctor is old fashioned and not up-to-date in teenage sexuality.

I say go to a youth clinic like Planned Parenthood. I am not sure if there is one I Kingston, so check the yellow pages. If you are struggling with this, you know where to find me (here at Scarleteen!).

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.