Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Need Help (URGENT)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help (URGENT)
MaddieMoo
Neophyte
Member # 110845

Icon 4 posted      Profile for MaddieMoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

So my friend is currently (we estimate) four to five weeks pregnant. However she could be as much as five weeks from conception and three weeks from last period so eight weeks. We aren't sure. Anyways she had sex last night and now is bleeding heavily and cramping. She has been for like fifteen hours. She's seeing the doc tomorrow but a pregnancy test she took yesterday registered less hCG then the pregnancy tests she took a week ago. We are extremely worried. Is this a miscarriage, just because of the sex, or because her period was due this week? She's really scared.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, am I understanding correctly that your friend already has confirmed her pregnancy with a healthcare provider?

And that if she has, her intention is to remain pregnant? If so, has she yet called her healthcare provider and reported this?

If she did, was the doctor's suggestion that it could wait a day, and she should come in tomorrow?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddieMoo
Neophyte
Member # 110845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddieMoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She doesn't have insurance so her first visit is tomorrow. They had no appointments for today.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but did she call in and report this bleeding? If so, did they ask things like how much she had been bleeding and for how long?

Just in case she or you do not know this, the ER is another option to get immediate care. Given that she has been bleeding heavily and cramping heavily and she is apparently pregnant (her home tests have been positives, yes?), that is what I would personally suggest she do, and what a healthcare provider would typically advise with unexplained heavy bleeding and cramping during a pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddieMoo
Neophyte
Member # 110845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddieMoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's what they did but ERs are expensive and her mom isn't gonna pay. Neither will her boyfriend. So we are just gonna talk and not leave our phones off till after the appointment and hope for the best. She is obviously under a lot of stress so.
Heather
Member # 3

I understand (I have lived without insurance for most of the four + decades of my life).

The thing is, when people are uninsured, ERs still have to admit them when they do need emergency care. And they will usually make payment arrangements and discounts when someone is uninsured and low-income.

I never got an answer about if this is a pregnancy she wants to sustain, but if it is, not only a) is she going to need to come up with ways to pay for a host of expensive care from here on out (and the cost of raising a child after that), but more importantly, b) she will need to go get healthcare, including on an emergency basis, if and when there is a possible health problem with her or her pregnancy.

So, if who she called advised she go into the ER, that is what I, too, would advise she do. If she does not want to, for any reason, then there really is nothing else for her to do beyond resting now, and then seeing the doctor she has an appointment with tomorrow.

But if she wants to sustain her pregnancy and is having this kind of bleeding and cramping, the advice I would give is that she should already have gone to the ER, and should certainly go in now. Seeing a healthcare provider ASAP is the only way she can find out what is going on and get the care she may need, whether she is miscarrying (which is a health issue that usually requires care) or having some kind of complication.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.