Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Plan B?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B?
repsev
Neophyte
Member # 109949

Icon 5 posted      Profile for repsev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is probably a typical pregnancy scare situation/question you guys may get a lot but I trust this website and would like to get ask what you think. Well my boyfriend and I had sex about 10 days after the beginning of my menstrual cycle, so I don't think I was ovulating but I can't be quite sure. Anyways, we used a condom but it turned out it ripped. I know for sure he didn't ejaculate but there may have been pre cum involved so about 7 hours later I took Plan B to be sure. What I'm really worried about at this point is how reliable Plan B is in this situation because I know pre cum does contain sperm and there is a small risk of pregnancy involving it. So what I'm asking is, in your opinion, what risk level is this?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plan B works in the same ways the combined birth control pill does to prevent pregnancy. Used within 24 hours of a risk, it is as much as 95-98% effective.

Since you used it right away, and ultimately, paired it with withdrawal (your partner not ejaculating, ejaculating-ejaculating, not pre-ejaculating, means you also used withdrawal, ultimately, and did so properly), a pregnancy would be highly unlikely.

The concern, now, with a situation like this would be STIs rather than pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
repsev
Neophyte
Member # 109949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for repsev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, of course. Thank you, you've put my mind more at ease as far as pregnancy is concerned. Another question if you don't mind, Plan B does sometimes result in cramps, correct? Because I took it about 3 days ago and I've had mild cramps and my lower back has been somewhat sore. Would these be side effects of the pill?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

It can create some cramps, yep. If you look at the information leaflet, you'll see all the potential side effects listed there.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
repsev
Neophyte
Member # 109949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for repsev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you! Also, this website is really great, thank you for everything you guys do on here [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Thanks so much!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

repsev
Neophyte
Member # 109949

Hi, sorry, im back! I wasn't sure if I should start a new post but these questions are related to this situation so I thought I should try and ask here. So as you already know I took the Plan B pill and about a week later I started having brown discharge which I assumed was old blood, and then I started a heavy flow with blood clots, is this normal for Plan B? And would this pass as my period? It only lasted about 4 days so it wasn't as long as my regular period and I know Plan B causes withdrawal bleeding. What I'm wondering is if this would count as my period and if it would be an indicator that I'm not pregnant? My last true period was April 3rd so I think I'm somewhat late for this month's, but I'm also sort of irregular, so I'm not sure if I should be too concerned?
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi repsev and welcome back,

So, since one of the side effects of plan B is that it can make your period wonky, that's most likely what happened here and the bleeding you experienced was your period. You're right that it's a good indicator that you're not pregnant, but the only way to know for sure is to take a test, so that might be something you'd want to do for your own peace of mind.

[ 05-07-2014, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
repsev
Neophyte
Member # 109949

So good news, I got my actual period today! My mind is now at ease and I would like to thank you guys so much for the information you provided and the fast responses! [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.