Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Ultrasound vs. Conception date (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ultrasound vs. Conception date
juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for juliedulie221     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys!!!
I'm a little confused about the ultrasound due date vs. The LMP date. According to my last menstrual period and, I should be 9 weeks and 6 days. But according to the ultrasound I'm 10 weeks and 4 days. I'm a little confused because I didn't have sex that early during my cycle. How could this happen??? I tested negative 3 days before my period...Then positive 2 days before my period. Wouldn't i have tested positive earlier if i really was 10 weeks and 4 days?

Posts: 63 | From: ny | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultrasounds, just like LMP due dates, are also estimates.

So, a difference between these two things of a week is not at all atypical. You should not figure either are set in stone, they are just the best approximations.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for juliedulie221     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha. So ultrasounds are just based on the size of the baby? Due to my own calculations I'm 10 weeks and 1 day. It couldn't have been 10 weeks and 4 days. I didn't have sex that early. It's more understandable if it's measuring smaller...that may be I ovulated late. But there's no way I could've conceived on an earlier date where I didn't have sex. Lol. Thanks Heather [Smile]
Posts: 63 | From: ny | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep: estimates from ultrasounds measure for the size of the fetus. That obviously is going to vary a lot -- given the difference in everyone's genetics, as well as the fact that fetal development also varies some from fetus to fetus -- but you gotta have some kind of baseline based on averages.

But again, both these things are estimates, that's all. Nothing that makes anything hinge on anything, just some estimates both so you have some idea of the neighborhood of your due date and then a good way for your healthcare providers to schedule you for the tests and such you will need throughout on schedule.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

How are you doing, by the way? Hopefully feeling a bit less stressed?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

I'm doing good, Heather thanks for asking. Every time I begin to freak out, I just read our old conversations instead of bothering you again. Haha. Honestly, our conversations make me feel better. I look at it every now and then to remind myself of the facts... To look at facts and not be scared and sad because my paranoia!

And guess who's graduation cum laude?? This girl! Haha [Smile]

I showed the guy i had unprotected sex with the picture of the sonogram and he could not stop smiling and looking at it. We're both happy.

Heather
Member # 3

High-fives to you, grad! That's fantastic! [Smile]

I'm so glad it sounds like things are going well, and the dust is settling. For now, anyway. Goodness knows that things are going to get bananas enough for you in less than a year, they can at least be a little less stressful now. [Smile]

(By the by, I really appreciate you just rereading when you want or need to see the same answers again rather than posting the same stuff over and over. Would that all our users did that!)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Thanks so much! Now I can be a happy mommy to be! I'm so excited. Of course i get scared here and there but i quickly remind myself to look at facts...then i feel silly afterwards.

And that's the least I can do. You've helped me get through this time! If I repost, I'll get the same answer anyway. It's a waste of your time and mine..and I don't want to get banned! Because I know I'll have questions throughout this pregnancy and I feel like I should give you updates every now and then [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

I'm certainly happy to hear about them, and certainly happy to lend a hand or an ear as I can. [Smile]

You all set with some good books, and not the kind that can freak a person out? ("What to expect...." for instance, is one a lot of people report has made them feel more scared during pregnancies rather than more informed and comforted.) If not, I'd be happy to write you up a little list tomorrow.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Actually, nope! I'd love a list!!! Would be nice to catch up on some reading by the beach this summer! (After I pass my boards, of course--hopefully)
Heather
Member # 3

No trouble!

My personal fave is the Our Bodies, Ourselves Guide to Pregnancy and Birth.

But some other goodies are:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth by Grantly Dick-Read
The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger
Mothering the New Mother: Women's Feelings & Needs After Childbirth: A Support and Resource Guide by Sally Placksin

And if you want some similarly themed reading that's just a great read, Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent is so cool.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Also: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/50/t/000143/p/1.html#000001

[Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

These are great! I ordered kitzinger's book on amazon and also chronicles of a modern midwife by vincent. They were cheap too! About 5 dollars each (used) Can't wait to read them! Thanks

--------------------
julie

Heather
Member # 3

Btw, you know, we are further developing our pregnancy and parenting section this year to provide more information for people who are pregnant and going through pregnancy, and who may also be parenting as young people. So, if throughout any of this, you identify a need you have where a piece from us would be a good thing, give a shout! It always helps us to get as much direct input like this as possible. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Icon 6 posted      Profile for juliedulie221     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem! I have a feeling I'll be around this site throughout my pregnancy anyway. Haha.
juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Hi heather,
Just an update, they moved my due date closer again because the baby is measuring bigger [Smile]

In other not so good news, I've kinda been going crazy for the past couple of days. I had protected sex with that guy twice that month, I think. (The day my period ended and also on my "fertile week") Now I'm freaking out that what if the condom did break and neither of us noticed??? Like I knew for sure it didn't slip off, but what if it tore and we just didn't know. Sigh. I'm considering seeing a psychologist. My anxiety is off the roof.

Heather
Member # 3

No one alert enough to be enaging in sex is likely to not notice a condom breaking.

For once, condoms, used properly, rarely break anyway: breaks only occur about every one in 2,000 uses, based on the data we have about condoms. [Smile]

But when a condom breaks, it looks like a busted balloon. You'd notice. [Smile]

That said, as I am sure you already know, being pregnant can make a real mess of your head and your moods. I think seeing a therapist when possible is a great idea for anyone, in any situation, going through a pregnancy. After all, it's not like you can have too much support!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Yeah...I've never had a condom break before so I don't know what to expect. Crazy thoughts are coming to me like...what if the guy isn't being honest about it breaking? Lol like some conspiracy hahaha. Sigh. I scheduled an appt. With a psychologist to help sort out these feelings. I'm sure my pregnancy hormones have a lot to do with this as well!!!
I don't know what I would do without the support of this site. All I know is one thing, once I get settled in and get started on my career, I'll do what I can to help out with this site. Whether it's volunteering or donating because you have no idea how much you've made a difference in my life and this stressful chapter of my life! [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

What a lovely thing to say, julie, thank you! And so very glad to be able to be here for you in this. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Hey Heather!
Okay so I need advice. I'm really trying to fight the urge to ask the other guy if maybe the condom broke any of the times we had sex, but maybe he just didn't want to tell me?. I feel like it's just going to annoy him because when i first found out I was pregnant, I asked him right away and he told me that it didn't break and that it's not his. Then I kept nagging and nagging until he got annoyed because that was the only reason I would text him for. He actually was still trying to hang out after the fact! Which I thought was weird but I told him it's best if we just never see each other again since I'm trying to make things right and make things work now that I am pregnant. Apparently he caught feelings while we were hooking up but he knew from the get go when we spoke that we were nothing but a hook up. I feel like I'm over thinking and I don't know if it's a good idea to even text him now to ask again for reassurance...like almost 2 months later. The last time I nagged about it he said he honestly doesn't remember because it was a while ago. I figured then that maybe it didn't break because that's definitely something he'd remember. I felt like he said that because he was getting annoyed with me already. I don't know what to do!

Heather
Member # 3

I think your anxiety about this is getting the better of you, honestly. My best advice is to do what you can to let this go, not keep on with it.

The condom did not break without either of you knowing. You already know, as much as anyone can, that is true. Hearing it again and again, if it did not sink in already, will not change that, and keeping on with this is only going to keep you in it, not help you to let it go.

That be my two cents.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Yea I sound kinda crazy, sorry. Lol. I'm realizing that For someone that's educated I sound so...crazy. kind of embarrassing now. I like came up with that scenario of him deciding to not tell me for whatever reason. OK I shall let it go. I need to breathe and let it go. Thanks heather [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

You sound stressed and worried. Which is not at all surprising. given you are managing an unplanned pregnancy, gal. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

What triggered my anxiety like no other...is when he told his family and friends that were having a baby. He did it with my permission of course. Him and i are actually working on things and i think its going really well. Everyone's so excited and I feel like I can't let these people down! Kinda feels heavy u know? Going through the embarrassment scares the crap out of me.
Heather
Member # 3

I totally understand. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

(Btw, I am leaving to go back home to Chicago for around a week tomorrow, both for a benefit for us, and to try and move my father out of the shelter he lives in and across the continent here with us. I won't likely be able to check in much, so since I know you and I have connected a bunch and you have a lot of things going on, wanted to make sure you know if you posted something for me and do not hear back, that's why!)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Gotcha! Yay for a benefit! And I hope all goes well with your father. [Smile]
For the next week, I will keep in mind what you said and I will try not to let anxiety get in the way of facts. Right?

Hope all goes well!!!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Hey heather!just checking in with ya. Just saying that all is well and I find out the gender next week. How time flies! [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Hey, it's great to hear from you. [Smile]

It does go fast, doesn't it? How are things on the whole?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Things are okay I guess. I tend to over think at times and I just don't know how to let it go. I've tried everything. I just get bouts of worry here and there and it leads me to overthink and come up with crazy scenarios. But other than that, I'm really hanging in there. I'm trying to focus on what's important now, and I'm really trying to make this a happy time in my life! I hope the benefit went well and everything with your father went well also! I don't know how else to get in touch with you do I hope it's okay that I'm messaging you through this old thread.
Heather
Member # 3

This is as good a place as any to keep in touch. [Smile]

Thanks for asking, bith the benefit and moving my Dad went well.

Is thee anything I can do for you right now, any resources of any kind you need direction to?

On that note, there are doulas in NY who are not only available, should you want one, some donate or discount their services for younger women. If you want to get connected with that, give a shout!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

Do you have any tips on how to let the thought and fears go? I know you guys dont offer psychological help for anxiety and such, just wondering if you have tips that can help me stop living in fear.

And I would love access to Doulas!! Child birth (seeing it first hand during clinical) does scare me. Haha. I'm a fairly small girl and I will need some type of class/support.

Also, I have a small baby bump now! Since I'm only 4'11 and I have a short torso, I show quicker [Smile]

Thanks Heather!

Heather
Member # 3

Per seeking out a doula, one or both of these two links should get you started:
http://nycdoulacollective.com/
http://www.doulaproject.org/

Per the thoughts and fear, want to tell me about what some of them are?

Often just talking things out makes a big difference, especially when you're dealing with something huge -- like a pregnancy and soon parenting -- so you probably have a whole lot of them. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

juliedulie221
Activist
Member # 109699

I just come up with different scenarios on how the condom could have malfunctioned. I wake up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts about what If he did it on purpose? Things that could just go terribly wrong. It just eats at me little by little. I do try my best to keep occupied. I read books, study for the boards, look at pregnancy stuff...but every time I get reminded of the possibility that the other guy is the father, I go into major panic mode and I just don't know what to do! I had to cancel my psychologist appt. Because my insurance sucks. My best friend actually laugha at the scenarios I come up with which makes me feel a little better. And neurotic. Haha.
Heather
Member # 3

So, all of these fears are just about this, not anything else?

One of the reasons I ask that is that I wonder if you think you might be staying focused on these fears because they are actually *less* scary than some other fears pregnant and soon-to-parent people have, like being a good parent, having a healthy birth, all the ways your life will change, etc?

To me, see, what you seem a bit stuck on sounds a bit like a pretty nice distraction from bigger things to be afraid of like that, and things without a way to get a truly concrete answer. After all, you can paternity test in a relatively short period of time. On the other hand, for example, being a good parent is the stuff of a whole lifetime, and something without concrete answers.

What do you think?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.