Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » I'm Going To Be Pregnant Aren't I?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm Going To Be Pregnant Aren't I?
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Eleanor R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had unprotected sex for a couple of seconds on Saturday April 7 and he never ejaculated.
Hours after I had sex I felt discharge coming out and it was a lot coming out, it was really thin and clear but with little pieces of brown in it.
The next day I got that again.
On Tuesday April 10 I bought Plan B so 3 days after the incident.
My last period was from February 29 - March 4th.
I'm always irregular.
I have been having cramps for two days now.
I took a pregnancy test today and it came back negative.
It's only been 10 days since the incident should I take another one in a week?

Posts: 12 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the unprotected sex didn't involve any ejaculation, then while there still would have been pregnancy risks (and STI risks, too), the risk of pregnancy would not be high.

So, no pregnancy isn't inevitable in this case (or in any situation, really). As well, you did use Plan B, even though you didn't use it right away, so you've had that protection, too. That given, I'd say it's far more likely you would NOT have become pregnant.

I'd just also be sure to get a new round of STI tests in the next month or so, especially if you're not already up-to-date or if this was with a newer partner.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eleanor R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask if I took the pregnancy test too soon?
Should I wait one more week?
I'm cramping right now so I hope this is my period coming.
I hear that pregnancy symptoms are just like period symptoms.
Is this true?

Posts: 12 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no, not really.

The thing is that in very early pregnancy, if there are any symptoms at all, it's usually only a missed period. As time goes on, things like nausea, fatigue and breast tenderness are common, things some people experience with PMS or periods, but others don't, and which can be experienced with a whole host of things.

But ultimately, pregnancy "symptoms," period are a problematic framework, no matter how you slice it, especially in very early pregnancy when so many pregnant people don't experience them at all.

If your period is late, it wasn't too early to take the test. If it's not yet, then yes, it's ideal to wait until it is.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eleanor R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's so stressful!
My stomach being super bloated and the cramping just makes me WANT my period but it's just not here.
Thank you.

Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

My period is still not here but I keep cramping.
Is it normal for Plan B to mess up your period?
I'm very scared and have no money right now to buy a pregnancy test.
I mean I did take a test 4 days ago and it came out negative.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is very normal for Plan B to alter your menstrual cycles, sometimes for a couple of months after taking it.

How long after the risk you're concerned about did you take this last pregnancy test?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

I took it I think 10 days after the incident.
I'm just cramping a lot but my period isn't here yet so it worries me.

Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

My boyfriend's mum is very worried about me being pregnant and I agreed to take a blood pregnancy test.
What should I expect at those tests?
How much do they cost?
How much blood is removed?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blood tests aren't usually done unless the result of a urine test is unclear and needs to be confirmed. Any healthcare provider will do a urine test first, and then follow up with a blood test if needed. It never hurts to test again though, so if you want a test done by a healthcare provider, any reproductive health clinic or your usual doctor can do that. Cost varies, and I don't know whether those tests are covered by the NHS or not, but you can always phone in advance and ask.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Okay.
Um, about 2 hours ago I went to the restroom and when I wiped myself it was a very light pink.
Could this be implantation bleeding?
Maybe my period, I don't know.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implantation bleeding is actually pretty uncommon: it's the exception, not the rule. It's more likely to be your period starting, if it's the right time for that, but I'd say if you're this worried, taking another test would be a good idea.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor R
Neophyte
Member # 95592

Thank you.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.