Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy Testing too early?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Testing too early?
MiniMe2007
Neophyte
Member # 95446

Icon 9 posted      Profile for MiniMe2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody...apologies in advance for the essay...

I am a bit confused about the information that is out there regarding hpt's - I know it's always best to wait a little longer for the most accurate result as far as these things are concerned, but I just want to check this out and have someone clear things up for me.

NHS and FPA in the UK say wait at least 19-21 days after risk (intercourse). However, I have read on here and other sites (including a doctor's clinic site) that 14 days after risk (or even less, as little as 10 days) is often sufficient for enough of the hormone to appear for an accurate result. I understand that this can depend on the individual and her own cycle, but I am on the pill so I have not been tracking it per se. The tests I have been using have a sensitivity of 25iU/mL.

I last did a test 13-14 days after risk using FMU and dipped the stick rather than, er, weeing on it! It was negative as negative can be but I am still worried as I think it may have been too early.

I am concerned about a potential pregnancy due to some bodily signs as I have missed a lot of pills (3+, but not consecutively as far as I can remember - combined pill) due to things being a little hectic, though my boyfriend and I use condoms every single time as a back up regardless and there seem to have been no problems, though I am concerned as he often thrusts in me a couple of times after he comes but we check afterwards and there seemed to be no breakage, slippage or leaking.

I probably seem really irresponsible for not taking my pills properly, normally I do but as we are using condoms I didn't think I had anything to worry about until I just started feeling weird now!I am coming back home soon (working abroad)so am planning an appt with doc to discuss changing to the implant.

I have been taking the pill for almost 4 years continuously and my boyf's previous partner could not use hormonal contraception so their only method was a condom and nothing happened with them. They were together for 2 years so my boyf is pretty good with a condom - I keep telling myself this!!

Please tell me if I can trust the last test or if I should take another one.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, you want to go based on the information for the individual test...so how soon it says it will be accurate. Be aware though, that "earliest detection" date they list is not the time at which everybody will get an accurate result. Usually, it's more like 66% get a positive after X days, 80% positive after Y days, etc. (Sometimes they phrase it as X days before your missed period.) It should list this on the box for the test you got.

If you're still concerned, wait another week or so (from your last test) and retest to verify the result.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How late did you take your pills? As long as none of the pills were more than 12 hours late, you don't need to worry about having compromised the effectiveness.

But it also sounds like you are already taking every precaution and backing up your birth control with the condom. If you use condoms for all genital contact, and you have not had a condom failure (and you'd notice a failure - you'll see if a condom breaks or slips off), you're just fine.

The earliest a pregnancy test will give you an accurate reading is at 14 days after the risk, or the first day of a missed period. If you're not sure whether you waited long enough to take your test, you can always get a second test and re-test after another week.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiniMe2007
Neophyte
Member # 95446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiniMe2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone!

I didn't get an early response test (they don't seem to be available here) so that info is not available, just says more than 99% accurate on day of missed period.

I am just freaking out as I missed whole days' worth of pills, backed up with 2 the next day but not sure if this is enough but as we have been using condoms I hope we are ok. xxx

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beauty of using two birth control methods is that when one is compromised the other one is there. It's also worth remembering that while your Pill was compromised because you missed some, it doesn't mean for sure that it wasn't doing it's job. It's just that the risk that it might nopt have is higher.

You said above that you were concerned about pregnancy because of some bodily signs? What is it that concerns you?

At this point it sounds like you used birth control properly and you can re-test in about a week so you can feel more comfortable that your test result was accurate.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiniMe2007
Neophyte
Member # 95446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiniMe2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My breasts have been, well not sensitive or particularly sore, but aching ever so slightly on and off, one side at a time. I don't notice it during the day though in general.

This seems to also happen when I drink caffeine (which I have been recently) or wear a heavy bag across my body so I don't know (?!)

Discharge is clearer (but not globby or egg-white-ish like as if I was ovulating) than usual and not as thick as normal.

My breasts ached last time I had a pregnancy scare and it was a false alarm so I'm hoping...

No nausea at all

Occassional cramping but not unbearable pain, at all, feels more like gas.

I really don't know and I don't think I can go on these so testing's the only way to go x

Would be early in the day to have symptoms anyway I guess

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.