Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » 4 Periods; could still be pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4 Periods; could still be pregnant?
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannigan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm rather paranoid about the possibility of my girlfriend being pregnant...

We had sex in March using the withdrawl method (didn't come close to cumming, didn't even cum outside of her, urinated beforehand each time) and then she had rather unusually bad PMS symptoms that month; her breasts hurt for a day and a half when they usually don't for her.

The period that month was VERY heavy; heavier than usual, lasted 5 days as is normal for her.

Next 3 months, she also had full 5 day, full bleeding periods.

She's had no symptoms of pregnancy since the breast pain before the first period.

This month, her period is in the late range of when it should be (not late for her yet, but like getting close to being late...). She did have intense exercise of hiking at camp one week ago; could that delay the period?

She also lost one pound from camp and hasn't gained any all these 4 and a half months or so.
(She's slightly overweight btw.)

I'm paranoid though because I read about these women online who didn't know they were pregnant until 20 weeks along because they had no weight gain, had normal periods (or at least bleeding resembling periods and at the same time...) and had no symptoms.
Just like my gf....

I'm just scared this period is never gonna come and she'll turn out to be pregnant even after all those periods. [Frown]

Why do so many women swear that they had normal periods during pregnancy if they didn't...? I know its biologically "impossible" because it's shedding the lining which would end the pregnancy, but why does it happen still for some women them, or how do they have bleeding coming at the same time and intensity as their period?

I'm so confused and scared please help. [Frown]

Posts: 33 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
If your girlfriend is having bleeding every month resembling her usual period, she is not pregnant. What do you mean when you say her period is "getting close to being late"? Heavy exercise and weight changes can sometimes change the menstrual cycle.

I would be really careful about believing online stories about pregnancy as truth. It would be very very unusual to be pregnant up to second trimester without weight gain, early symptoms and to have regular monthly vaginal bleeding. Women may have bleeding during pregnancy for reasons such as infection and miscarriage, but they do not have regular periods.

How does she feel about all this? If you are both very anxious about sexual activity causing pregnancy, you may want to take a break from this kind of sex until you feel better. How ready do you feel for sex at the moment? You may also consider using barrier methods such as condoms (which also prevent STIs), and/or hormonal birth control- these are more significantly effective than the withdrawal method.

Would you like some links to the main site which go into these issues further?

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hannigan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean that her period is irregular in the sense that while it does occur every month for the same intensity and number of days, the day it occurs isn't very consistent and she has a long cycle.

(34-40something days or so. She only started keeping track with the pregnancy scare so its hard to say for sure. Today is day 40, which is longer than the last three so I'm getting worried)

I've read online this period-while-pregnant thing a lot; I KNOW it is impossible but why do women report normal periods then; not just light bleeding?

We haven't had sex since March...I'm really not emotionally ready now and I would definitely use a condom now, and hopefully she can get birth control in the near future.

She's not worried at all actually its just me being paranoid because women are swearing online from firsthand experience that they had pregnancies where they had normal periods for several months and no weight gain or symptoms. [Frown]

Posts: 33 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

Ok one more thing too; I've read online that people's doctors have told them after they had what seemed like a full period while pregnant, that it is possible for a woman to lose PART of the lining but not enough to end the pregnancy yet she'll still be pregnant.

Would that be possible if she were about 4 months along? If so, would it be the identical amount of blood and duration to a period?

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
If she has had normal periods after her last sexual encounter, she is not pregnant. The number of days in the cycle can vary for many reasons. If she has only been monitoring this for a few months, it is hard to say how regular her cycle was to begin with. If she were also very concerned about this, she could take a pregnancy test now and expect it to be accurate.

It sounds wise that you're taking a break from sex at the moment. I'm not sure what to add about what women might be saying online, except that they may be being untruthful for whatever reason or have been in denial or having mental health issues during pregnancy.

(It is possible to have vaginal bleeding at any stage during pregnancy. But this would not be identical to a period).

[ 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hannigan:
Ok one more thing too; I've read online that people's doctors have told them after they had what seemed like a full period while pregnant, that it is possible for a woman to lose PART of the lining but not enough to end the pregnancy yet she'll still be pregnant.

Would that be possible if she were about 4 months along? If so, would it be the identical amount of blood and duration to a period?

There's a thing called decidual bleeding, where a pregnant woman in the early stages of pregnancy may shed *part*, but not all, of the uterine lining. This isn't all that likely to happen once, and is even less likely to happen twice. The odds of it happening a third time, in the same pregnancy, without resulting in miscarriage, are extremely low.

Because decidual bleeding involves only part of the uterine lining, and not all of it, it would involve less blood than a regular period. If it happened repeatedly, it would involve less blood each time.

Decidual bleeding would not last past the first trimester (the first 13 weeks of pregnancy), so if your girlfriend were four months pregnant, she definitely wouldn't be experiencing it anymore. By the fourth month, she would be noticing weight gain, breast growth, and possibly fetal movement.

I feel very comfortable saying that she's not pregnant.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...if I could edit, I would, to add this:

About 95% (ballpark) of women who post about pregnancies online are normal and healthy and actually pregnant. The other 5% are not. They may believe they are pregnant. They may be creating an elaborate fiction to get money, or to achieve some other end in their own lives. They may be mentally ill. You have to apply common sense and a certain amount of skepticism.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

What about situations like this then?
http://www.womens-health.com/boards/pregnancy/2370-i-pregnant-twice-no-symptoms.html

I think you are very likely right, but these stories are very convincing and scary...

Though my girlfriend would be on about week 20 and has had no flu-like symptoms like that.

I feel better, thank you...though I'm still irrationally paranoid. :/

It still seems slimly possible to keep getting a period and have no symptoms.

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

The post you linked to is a woman talking about things that happened to her AT LEAST five years ago. It is completely possible that her memories of events (particularly minor ones like her periods) are imperfect. She certainly seems to have been having a very unusual pregnancy, with morning sickness only starting at 5 months - morning sickness usually starts around 6 to 8 weeks, and ends around 13 to 17 weeks (around 4 months). This makes the story fail the Common Sense Test, if you know much of anything about pregnancy.

She also mentions that, at the time of her third(?) pregnancy, she'd been on the pill for 4.5 years. Women on the pill often find that their periods get lighter - some medical professionals tell women on the pill that even a single spot of brown blood counts as their period. That's not very much blood, and there are plenty of reasons why a pregnant woman might experience small amounts of vaginal bleeding.

There are some people who go around the internet spreading stories like this in order to convince people that the only effective contraception is abstinence. This could be one of them.

Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

But about weight gain and the possibility of a visible baby bump...she's already overweight; far from being obese, but definitely overweight and has a belly to begin with.

Could that factor hide a pregnancy?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the way you're worrying, is there a reason why she hasn't simply checked in with a healthcare provider yet? Or taken a pregnancy test?

Can being very overweight potentially hide a pregnancy that might otherwise be more obvious? Yes. However, that'd be one thing if she was also missing periods. She's not.

Ultimately, the reason she likely hasn't is that she knows she's not pregnant and feels comfortable with all of this. It's clear you, though, don't.

But you've already evaluated that and are clearly making choices moving forward that seem a lot more like what you need. I think your best move now is to try and let this go instead of staying so focused on it, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannigan
Neophyte
Member # 60994

She got it today; full normal period. [Smile]

It was just late.

About when would you say by the way that a woman's period fully "solidifies" into a more regular cycle?

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Hannigan, it doesn't always necessarily happen at all. Some women have very regular cycles, some don't.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.