Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » 5, Almost 6 Weeks Pregnant But....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5, Almost 6 Weeks Pregnant But....
larc
Neophyte
Member # 67331

Icon 5 posted      Profile for larc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't feel pregnant. I felt more pregnant a couple weeks ago when I felt bloated and my breasts hurt more. Now, I'm a little less bloated, I'm less hungry (but still a little more hungry than usual)and my breasts still have very noticeable veins, they still hurt a little bit and they are rounder than heavier. I'm also still urinating about 5-6 times a day, some days more.

It seems as if I'm still pregnant because I'm pretty sure whatever stage the almost fetus is at cannot just get up and walk away (haha) but the "pregnant feeling" isn't there and has been off and on throughout the pregnancy. I also smoked and was barely eating up until I got the positive result last Wednesday so I'm worried that may have caused a problem in the pregnancy.

I have to wait until August 8th to have another ultra sound but I'm scared for some reason that they will tell me the fetus is dead/gone. Is that normal during pregnancy at all or am I just worrying to much? This is my first pregnancy and it has my hormones going off the wall so I worry it may just be depression. I'll feel so much more secure when and if I start showing... I just wanted to know if it's possible I messed up my pregnancy or if this is a normal feeling.

Posts: 13 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larc, it's common in early pregnancy to not "feel pregnant." Urinating frequently is actually *not* a sign of early pregnancy--that happens much more in late pregnancy when the fetus is actually squishing your bladder.

Can you call your provider and talk about your concerns? It sounds like it would be helpful for you to talk to a doctor about what to expect at different times in your pregnancy.

Too? Very early pregnancies (and yours is still very early) can miscarry no matter what you do. A large number of pregnancies never make it past the first 8 weeks, and if you had a miscarriage, it wouldn't have been something you did to "mess up" the pregnancy.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larc
Neophyte
Member # 67331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I've heard from a lot of people actually that they urinated a lot more early on in the pregnancy. And it's good to know that it is common to feel not pregnant at the early stages of pregnancy. A few people told me that they knew right away or felt something different in their mid section and I just feel normal, with the exception of feeling hungry all the time.

I would but he is on vacation currently until August 12th, so I don't have a medical professional to talk to about this, which is why I came onto this website.

That entire paragraph scared me a lot. I hope I didn't miscarry...

Posts: 13 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is likely someone else you can talk to at his office if your regular doc is out of town. A nurse can explain a lot of what's going on.

Early pregnancy symptoms depend a lot on the individual person, but there's no physical reason to be urinating a lot during early pregnancy. That tends to happen in the third trimester when the fetus has gotten big enough to put pressure on (or even kick!) the bladder.

That last paragraph wasn't meant to scare you, but rather to explain that when someone miscarries early in pregnancy, it's highly unlikely to be because of something that they did. It's much more likely that the fetus wasn't viable for one or another reason. So there's no reason to blame yourself for a miscarriage.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larc, you said you would be able to have another ultrasound at your next appointment - does that mean you've had one already? If so, do you remember what they saw? Fetal pole? Blinking (heartbeat) or no?

Heartbeats are a good sign, but at this stage, absence of heartbeat wouldn't be a bad sign. Does that make sense?

Even if the doctor you have seen is on vacation, there should be someone you can talk to. You should be able to call his office and ask to speak to a nurse, or to one of the doctors he works with (if there are any).

I also want to tell you that anxiety can be related to the hormonal and physical changes that your body is going through. That doesn't mean that your fears arise out of nothing, but it does mean that you may be feeling them (and a lot of other things) more intensely than you would at any other time.

In general, feeling well is not a cause for worry. Hang in - it's not that long until the 8th, and the scan will (hopefully) be reassuring.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larc
Neophyte
Member # 67331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for larc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, according to the doctor, frequent urination is a symptom of early pregnancy. Your liver works overtime to process all the new fluids, making you urinate more often.

No, I haven't. This is my first ultrasound.

I've calmed down a lot, the fear only lasted a week and my doctor assured me my baby will be fine, all my levels were normal and everything seemed to be going smoothly. My ultrasound is on Monday and I'm now not worried. [Smile]

Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! I'm glad things are better. Enjoy the first look at the wiggly little gummy bear next week.
Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.