Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Is this true?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this true?
devilwearsprada
Neophyte
Member # 71651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devilwearsprada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that missing the first week of pills is the highest risk? I have been on the pill for 5 years and missed the very first (sunday) pill completely. I then continued taking my other pills as normal. I had unprotected sex soon after missing the first pill. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I am freaking out. What is the pregnancy risk here?
Posts: 11 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the pills to miss in a pack, the very first and very last are the worst to miss, yes, because that basically extends your placebo week. You still have some protection from your pills, but the effectiveness has been compromised and you have had a significant pregnancy risk.

When did this happen?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devilwearsprada
Neophyte
Member # 71651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devilwearsprada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm let me see..about 10 days ago. I was really busy and in the last few days just started thinking about it and googling it which has just made me more paranoid. I didn't panic right away because I have been on the pill for so long that I guess I just feel immune now, even though I do usually take my pills properly. Uh oh..
Posts: 11 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing first? Make up that pill ASAP. IOW, whenever you find you missed a pill, the first thing to do is to take it when you notice.

I'd still have suggested EC at the time, but we're past that, so next best thing is backing up with a second method for the rest of this cycle to play it safest.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
devilwearsprada
Neophyte
Member # 71651

Do you mean that I should make up the pill I missed by taking two today? And I will use a backup method for sure, thank you!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Even with missing that first pill and those ten days since, it could still make a difference.

Always, always make up your pill when you miss it.

Sounds like you also might want to just review the patient insert that comes with your pill, so you can get a refresher on taking it, and what to do with misses, okay? [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.