Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » I have taken some pills late...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have taken some pills late...
madmax
Neophyte
Member # 70566

Icon 4 posted      Profile for madmax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have regular-ish sex with my boyfriend (sometimes we won't have sex for a week or so, then have sex for maybe 2 or 3 days in a row)

Usually every time he pulls out and does a very good job at it, I have never gotten pregnant from it, just recently last night it was so good that he didn't pull out (he cums a little early sometimes...)

I wouldn't be TOO worried if I didn't take some pills late. I work but my store always closes at 10pm so I decided to make the time I take the pills around 10:00-12:00 ish. It's just on some days I fell asleep after work or just plain flat forgot. I still took the pill though, so I have NEVER missed a pill.

The one example I can remember is I fell asleep one night and took the pill at 6 am-ish. I also got super dizzy after taking the pill, I would lay down and the world would still be spinning around me.

Is there more of a risk of me getting pregnant?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pill isn't technically late until it's taken more than 12 hours past the usual time. Within a 3 hour window of the usual time, it's considered to be taken "on time". It's pretty much impossible to be a perfect user, since perfect use rates are calculated in a laboratory setting, so you should assume that you're probably somewhere in between the typical use rate of 92% and the perfect use rate of 99%. So, you have had a risk of pregnancy, but it's a very low one.

If you're not comfortable with using just the pill as birth control, and the timing of withdrawal is tough for your boyfriend, using a backup method like condoms is always a possibility. (Plus, as a bonus, they protect against STIs.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I do just want to make sure you're taking a combined pill, not a mini-pill, since mini-pills need to be taken within a three-hour time window.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madmax
Neophyte
Member # 70566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madmax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I do take a combined pill.

Usually I am comfortable with it, it's just this is the first time he ever came in me, or anyone has.

I plan on talking to him about using condoms, because I think he believes there is no chance at all of me being pregnant since I am on BC.

I'm just worried because I have had days where I basically take it around early early morning like 2 or 3 AM or forget and take it around the morning the next day.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, it sounds like you might need to do a bit better, moving forward, about trying to take your pill around the same time. Because with differences like that, it seems to me that missing it outside that 12 hour window is pretty likely to happen.

Is there a time of day you usually do something around the same time every day? Like waking up, eating lunch, having a walk with your dog, etc? If so, it can help to pick a time to take your pill with something routine like that.

If not, do you have a cell phone? If you do, have you tried setting an alarm for your pill?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madmax
Neophyte
Member # 70566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madmax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My schedule is never the same so it's hard. I could be working 3 to 11:30 one day then 9 to 6 the next. so I have to be asleep and never have a definite schedule. That's why I put it around 10:00 because if I am at work at least I could walk away for a minute to take it.

I kind of wandered away from taking it at 10pm to taking it around 11pm to 2 or 3 AM. I I have to be awake early I just take it at 10.

Heather
Member # 3

Have you ever considered switching to a method, then, that you don't have to take every day? Both the patch and the ring have the same effectiveness and work the same way, with the same hormonal combo, as the combined pill, for instance.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

madmax
Neophyte
Member # 70566

I am planning on slowly making it 10 PM no matter what. usually I try to eat when I take it, since I am so tiny and it would make me sick, but I plan on putting some filling crackers in my bag or something so I can take it anyway.
Heather
Member # 3

Okay.

If that doesn't wind up working for you, just remember that no one method works for everyone, and the pill can actually be a method that doesn't work for a lot of people, especially younger people, just because of how it needs to be taken.

It's not like you married it, after all. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

madmax
Neophyte
Member # 70566

thank you for your help. Whether or not I get my period I plan to buy a pregnancy test, does that make sense?
Heather
Member # 3

If you get your withdrawal bleed, that's a very clear indication you didn't get pregnant, so I'd see no need for a test.

But whatever makes you feel better with this, it's all good.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.