Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Scared I Might Be Pregnant!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared I Might Be Pregnant!
karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Icon 9 posted      Profile for karibenitez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Need Advice Please, I'm Worried!
Today me and my boyfriend had sex.
PROTECTED.
I was in him for a good 5 minutes.
He never came.
LATER, maybe 30 minutes later, he wasn't wearing a condom okay, BUT I did NOT stick his penis inside of me, I just rubbed on the middle part of his penis (it was very very dry) for about 10 seconds.
Is there a chance I can get pregnant from any of these incidents?
I ended my period exactly 1 week ago.

Posts: 99 | From: Oklahoma City | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ANY time any of us have the kinds of sex or contact that can create a risk of pregnancy, there is going to be a risk of pregnancy.

So, for instance, if we have penis-in-vagina intercourse, even using methods of contraception (including condoms) we don't have no risk: those things reduce our risk they don't make it zero. With a method like a condom, where you can know if it failed you or is likely to right there and then -- because it wasn't used for all contact, because it slipped off or broke -- if it was used properly and did not slip off or break, you can know a pregnancy is highly unlikely, and just very probably not going to happen.

With something like rubbing genitals directly together without using any method of contraception, again, that is also a possible risk. However, if a partner did not ejaculate, same deal as with the condom there: you can know pregnancy is not likely. However, risks of STIs will have been high.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Icon 9 posted      Profile for karibenitez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are you saying my risks are very low?
Posts: 99 | From: Oklahoma City | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For pregnancy, yes. For STIs it's a high risk, so if you're not both up to date with testing you'll want to wait about a month and do that.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The STI risk is likely higher than the pregnancy risk. The pregnancy risks are likely very low.

But if you want more protection than you had, you always have the option of using emergency contraception.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karibenitez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see.
Okay so when should I take a pregnancy test?
Since I had sex on Saturday and I have a very irregular period, when do you think I should test?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pregnancy test will give you accurate results at 10-14 days after the risk or on the first day of a missed period, whichever comes first.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karibenitez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take it in 2 weeks.
But you guys really do think that my risks are low right?
I'm really paranoid right now.
:'(

Heather
Member # 3

Again, the risks of pregnancy sound very low. And if you chose not to use emergency contraception, then all you can do is wait it out until your period or until you can take a test for pregnancy.

You'll just also want to remember that STI risks are equally serious, so will want to get tested for those soon, too. And if you don't want to take this level of risk again, at the least, you'll want to make sure you do always use condoms for all genital-to-genital contact, okay?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Okay I know the risk of pregnancy for the first incident is low, but what I'm scared of is the other incident when I rubbed on the middle part of his penis (covered with the foreskin) for about 10 seconds. He was SUPER dry, but I'm still afraid that someone I could get pregnant from that.
Heather
Member # 3

Like I explained in my first response, that CAN pose a risk of both pregnancy and STIs, though the pregnancy risk is likely to be low without any ejaculation.

But again, if you choose not to use emergency contraception, there's nothing at all you can do about taking risks after-the-fact. All you can do is wait it out and again, make different choices next time around.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Thanks. I'll take a test in 2 weeks and update you on the answer. Also, do you know when you start showing pregnancy symptoms?
Heather
Member # 3

For most people, the first symptom of a pregnancy is a missed period. However, pregnancy isn't instantaneous, which is why a medication like Plan B can work.

So, with your possible risk being just three days ago, you won't have any symptoms of anything even if you are going to become pregnant, because it tends to take around a week for conception to happen if and when it's going to.

But sounds like you could find some comfort and information with this link: Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

karibenitez
Activist
Member # 68586

Thanks, I really hope I'm not pregnant. I can't drop out of college. But thanks.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.