Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Miscarriage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Miscarriage
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I know if bleeding is my period or a miscarriage?

My "period" started one day late. The first day it was brownish and light (not heavy). The next day it was bright red and very heavy, with clots or pieces of tissue. It was similar for the third and fourth days. Today is the fifth day and it is lighter.

Before my "period" started I was worried that I was pregnant. For a couple of days, I was bloated and my breasts were larger. The day my "period" started, I felt very moody. I don't usually get moody when I have my period.

If it was a miscarriage, would I have to do anything? Is it possible I have had miscarriages before and not known about it? I have been sexually active for about 3.5 years.

Posts: 36 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mustard: Looking back to a post from just last month, you had a risk then your period was late. Being this past one was late, it may also mean your cycle changed a little bit, or is taking just a bit to get itself back onto a normal schedule.

Given it did come around the time your period should have (indeed only one day late) it's very likely that's what it is. That said, anytime you suspect a miscarriage, it's always a good idea to just check in with a doctor.

On another hand, given you had a risk and were worried about pregnancy last month, and also this month, can we ask if you're wanting (and ready financially, emotionally, etc) to deal with pregnancy? If not, would you care to talk through how you're protecting yourselves from that, and some options that may help you to feel more comfortable and be more reliable?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On another hand, given you had a risk and were worried about pregnancy last month, and also this month, can we ask if you're wanting (and ready financially, emotionally, etc) to deal with pregnancy? If not, would you care to talk through how you're protecting yourselves from that, and some options that may help you to feel more comfortable and be more reliable?

OK. Thank you. I think it was probably just my cycle changing or getting back on track. If I have real reason to suspect a miscarriage in the future, I will check in with a doctor.

We would both be ok with pregnancy. We are not trying to get pregnant. I would prefer to have children after being married for 2-3 years, and we're not married, but it would be ok if we got pregnant now.

We use condoms, but we have had a few small risks recently. Sometimes we begin intercourse without a condom, and then he puts on a condom well in advance of ejaculation, and we continue intercourse until he ejaculates in the condom. The other type of risk we have had is where we give each other hand jobs at the same time, and he ejaculates near my vulva - usually the ejaculate spills onto him, but it has also landed on my inner thighs and my stomach.

Posts: 36 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mustard
Neophyte
Member # 55291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mustard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first paragraph is what you wrote. I didn't intend to post it again. Whoops!
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so seeing you'd rather wait to become pregnant, how about working some with methods, making sure they're used correctly to lessen risk? (Also meaning lessening it with things like not being in a position where a partner will or can ejaculate on or near your vulva.) While it doesn't take away risk 100% it does greatly reduce risk. (And like I said, if you ever want to talk on those ways/methods we're around.)

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to miscarriages - I agree that you should check in with a doctor if you think you are having one. It might also help to take a pregnancy test - if you were pregnant, it would take a while for the HCG to clear out of your system after a miscarriage. So a negative on an HPT would be a reassuring sign, in terms of things you'd need to worry about.

Whatever the results of a pregnancy test, you should seek medical attention immediately if you are dizzy, develop a fever, if the bleeding or other discharge smells bad (like rotting meat), or if you are bleeding so heavily that you are getting through more than one heavy duty pad in an hour.

Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.