Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Advice needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice needed
Kath
Neophyte
Member # 48639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to make yet another "could I be pregnant" thread.

So the deal is this: My period is just over a week late now. My boyfriend and I always use condoms whenever we have intercourse, although our genitals do touch somewhat during (for instance) foreplay and cuddling (without traces of ejaculate). It's unlikely that I am pregnant, but I know that there is a chance. If I am pregnant, I would probably be less than 5 weeks along, because it was 5 weeks ago that I had my last period.

I've been more ditzy than I usually am lately, so my friend (who is in her 30s and has two kids, so she has some experience in this sort of thing) suggested I check, just in case. She said something about pregnancy brain. I went and got a pregnancy test from the pharmacy last week, one of the ones that you're meant to use on the due date of the period. I used it on the date my period was due and it came back negative. So I was thinking ok then, that's good, I'm not pregnant. Fast forward to today, a week later and my period is still not here. Usually it does come on time.

I'm starting to get slightly worried again. I want to know for sure if I am pregnant so that I can go get an abortion asap if necessary. It's better to get one earlier rather than later. I have considered other options, but they're not really viable for where I am in my life at the moment.

So should I go and buy another pregnancy test? If so, which kind? Or should I go straight to my GP and get a doctor to check for me?

[ 10-18-2010, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Kath ]

Posts: 20 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any kind of home pregnancy test should be just fine, and while it sounds like your other test was probably accurate, no harm in taking another now. If you think you'd feel better with a clinical test, you can do it that way, too.

However, being a little more spaced out than usual is something that can happen for about a thousand reasons, so I'd also not put too much stock in what your friend said.

But for future reference, just so you know, direct, unprotected genital-to-genital contact CAN pose risks of pregnancy and infections. Proper use of condoms means they're on for ALL direct genital contact, not just some. Okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kath
Neophyte
Member # 48639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather - I know I'm being a little irrational (missed periods and spacing out can happen because of stress and stuff I know), but it's been playing on my mind regardless.

Do you think I should take another due date pregnancy test, or one of the ones that say they can be used 6 days before the due date of the period? It's just for ease of my mind really.

I know the risk that we've been taking in regards to genital contact without condoms, but it's a risk that as time has gone on I've become more lax about. I think in the future I'll be more vigilant, so thanks for that kick up the bum.

Posts: 20 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the timing, any kind of test will be just fine.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kath
Neophyte
Member # 48639

Thanks again Heather. My period came this morning, so s'all good.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.