Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » What is the percentage chance that I'm pregnant? Am I just paranoid?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the percentage chance that I'm pregnant? Am I just paranoid?
Jaybird1234
Neophyte
Member # 49235

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jaybird1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two weeks ago I had sex with a guy, and during the sex, the condom apparently broke. We took it off and replaced it with another one. He didn't finish at any point in the night (thus no ejaculation), but we did have intercourse.

I was supposed to get my period yesterday, and I'm usually pretty regular. I won't have the money to buy the test for another few days, and I know that nothing is going to offer me peace of mind like my period or like a negative test result will.

I was just wondering about your opinion on this matter.

Thanks!

[ 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Jaybird1234 ]

Posts: 1 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he didn't ejaculate then this would mean he used the withdrawal method of birth control. This method is 96% effective with perfect use and 73% effective with typical use. Combined with using a condom, then it's 95.95% effective with typical use.

The fact that your period is a day late is no need to worry. Even regular girls can have it vary slightly by a day or two at times. Stress can also push it back, along with a change in diet and exercise habits.

It sounds to me like you have very minimal risk for pregnancy. However, since the condom did break there is a risk of transmitting STI's. Before becoming sexual with a partner it's a good habit to both get tested for STI's, even if you plan on using latex barriers, just in case.

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To reassure you, Natalie is correct. The chance of pregnancy is, at best, minimal since he didnít ejaculate; plus he replaced the condom before making contact again. Because you are sexually active, for your own peace of mind and safety, you should consider some form of more reliable birth control and routine STI testing if you havenít already.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.