Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » What is the pregnancy risk here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the pregnancy risk here?
ryedragon
Neophyte
Member # 49087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ryedragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my girlfriend haven't had any sexual contact for the last 2 months now. In that time, she's had three periods - but one was early by a week, then the third was a regular month later again.

Prior to this, all we'd done is fingering and handjobs and oral sex. Is there any risk here or no?

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something about your math seems wrong, in that a woman's regular cycle happens about once a month. Three periods in two months seems a tad irregular.

But nevertheless, if a woman has had her period then she doesn't need to worry about pregnancy. A missed period is the very first sign of pregnancy, so if she's had her's then there's no worry. If you've also never had vaginal intercourse and have never, say, ejaculated directly onto her vulva, then there is still no risk of pregnancy.

--------------------
Bicycle? I prefer a homocycle.

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ryedragon
Neophyte
Member # 49087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ryedragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I mean. She had a period, then had a second one a week earlier than it should have been, then had a third one a regular month later.

So there's no pregnancy risk?

Posts: 20 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she's had any period since the risk - she's not pregnant.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine1893
Neophyte
Member # 48994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunshine1893     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it possible for someone to continue having what appear to be periods during pregnancy, though? My mother trained as a midwife, and she told me that some women can have light periods while pregnant.
Posts: 5 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natalie H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting and an actual period are different things. A period will come with all the same normal symptoms, cramping, breast tenderness, etc, and spotting will just be a LITTLE bit of blood. Even with spotting during pregnancy, I don't think it happens every month right on time with all the same symptoms as a period. If it looks like a period and feels like a period, it's a period.

--------------------

Posts: 118 | From: Houston | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ryedragon
Neophyte
Member # 49087

Well it was heavy enough for her to have to use tampons and pads, and it lasted a good few days.

So is this a pregnancy risk or not?

ryedragon
Neophyte
Member # 49087

Fairly sure she was taking the pill too.
Natalie H
Activist
Member # 48229

If she's on the pill, you haven't had vaginal intercourse, and she's had her period once, let alone three times, then there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY she could be pregnant. You seem a bit paranoid about this, so perhaps you should read this article:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/why_cant_i_stop_being_so_scared_of_pregnancy

[ 09-26-2010, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Natalie H ]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.