Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy Concerns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Concerns
itie bitie brittney
Neophyte
Member # 44799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for itie bitie brittney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of concerns. Last month, my period was late and this month it hasn't arrived yet (it is usually at the very beginning of the month). My boyfriend's mother has started a rumor that I'm pregnant and I'm worried that it may be true. Though, I think there may be some factors combatting the "pregnancy rumors."
First, my doctor has diagnosed me with a skin staph infection near my vagina. It has been causing blood in my urination.
Though, I won't tell my doctor I'm sexually active because every single time she asks me, my mother is in the room and there hasn't been an opportunity where we've been alone. And, I don't think I could just ask my mom to leave, because then she'd become suspicious.
But, I've done a urine test for the doctor that confirmed the infection. I think it would also confirm that I'm pregnant because they had originally thought it was a UTI and it came up as something else.
I don't really want to buy a pregnancy test because both my partner and I are low on cash.
Also, I haven't really been gaining weight or anything. Plus, I've been under a lot of stress with AP tests, prom, and family matters. Could these be affecting my menstruation cycle?
Please put my mind at ease.

Posts: 2 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajaj1842
Neophyte
Member # 46935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ajaj1842     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods are not always regular. They are like snowflakes--always different! Even though your period is usually at the beginning of the month, it is not always accurate to time your period this way. Your period usually occurs between 27-34 days after the first day of your period--roughly 4 weeks from the first day. Stress does, however, contribute to a "weird" period. So with your AP tests, prom and family matters, it could very well be that stress is delaying your period.

If you have been practicing safe sex--condoms and other forms of birth control--the risk of pregnancy is very low. Using birth control correctly makes pregnancy only a 2%-3% risk.

As for the UTI urine test, it will not detect the hCG hormone.

You can buy a 2 test pack of First Response pregnancy tests for under $10 at Wal-Mart. Just to set your mind at ease, I would invest $5 and ask your partner to invest $5 for a test. It would be well worth the money.

Posts: 32 | From: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajaj1842
Neophyte
Member # 46935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ajaj1842     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hCG hormone is the "pregnancy hormone" that pregnancy tests detect.
Posts: 32 | From: Santa Monica, CA | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajaj1842
Neophyte
Member # 46935

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you had a UTI urine test taken. If you had a urine test performed, they won't necessarily check for pregnancy, especially since you have not mentioned that you are sexually active.

If you were pregnant, there is a good chance that you would be seeing symptoms by now too, such as morning sickness and breast tenderness/swollenness.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brittney, how have you and your partner been protecting yourself during sex? If you have been using birth control consistently, then you do not need to worry about a pregnancy risk. As ajaj has pointed out, periods can sometimes be irregular for no reason. And if you have been suffering from an infection, that may also impact your menstrual cycle.

However, if you are concerned, it would be best to simply take a test. They are not terribly expensive, and they will be able to put your mind at ease.

For future reference, I would suggest that you ask your mother to let you go to the doctor by yourself, or ask your doctor to speak to your mother about this. For your doctor to give you adequate care, it's really important that they know the whole story. So it would be best if you created a situation where you could be honest with your doctor.

And lastly, ajaj: We actually do not recommend looking for 'pregnancy symptoms'. Not everyone experiences the same symptoms, or experiences them at the same time. Too, many of the early symptoms of pregnancy could also mean a ton of other things, so that's not very reliable.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.