Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » maybe pregnant- when should i take the test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: maybe pregnant- when should i take the test?
nerdfighterextraordinaire
Neophyte
Member # 44133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdfighterextraordinaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus I'm confused.

So, ok, I had sex with this dude on the 8th. I handed him his condom, which I thought he put on right away- But he snuck one over on me and was in me for about 20 seconds without one before i realized that he didnt, yelled at him, he put one on, and continued.

I was expecting my period any day (it was the 9th through the 14th of the previous month), in fact there was a smidge of bleeding on that day before I had sex, but, then my period just never came.

Now its the 22nd, so 14 days after intercourse, and even though i checked the "Whats your risk?" and it says I have a low risk, my period is still not here, and I've worried myself to the point that i'm almost sick over it (but im not nauseated, i've not experienced any sort of implantation bleeding, i don't have tender breasts, and all i do notice is some lower back pain and occasional, mild cramps, but super mild, like i have to pay attention, so anything i do experience might be in my head and therefore useless)

anyway, i know the only way to know for sure is a test, and I've bought one, but i dont know if i can go ahead and take it or not. I started my fall semester at school on the 25th of august, so, Im thinking i might just not have ovulated, but at the same time- I'm spazzing out.

So, yeah, can I go ahead and take the test, or should I wait a few more days? Its been only 14 days since intercourse, and I'm a really, really poor college student, so, i'm not sure if I can afford two tons of pregnancy tests before I save up for an abortion if it turns out to be positive.

ALSO, if it does come out positive, I'm definately going to schedule an abortion, and I want to take the pill that induces a miscarriage->Can I drive myself to that sort of a procedure, or do i need a buddy?

Any thing you guys can let me know would be great. Long time lurker, never posted before, sorry about it. This website rox. Thanks!

p.s. i know i need an std test too, and as soon as this test comes out either way, im headed to the gyn for that.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10-14 days after a risk should give you an accurate result. So, yes, you can definitely test now and know for sure. In addition, any pregnancy test will work, even dollar store ones. They're all extremely accurate. A lot even come in boxes of two so that you don't have to worry about going out and getting another if you feel the need to retest (or want to save it for any possible future scares).
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's been 14 days after the risk, you can go ahead and test right now, if you'd like. It may be best to wait until the morning, but it shouldn't matter at this point.

If it comes out positive, then we can talk about your options and what you'd need. But for now, breathe, and take the test either now or in the morning.

I also hope that you've either discontinued being sexually active with this individual, or had a very serious talk about how that was NOT an okay thing to do at all. If he doesn't care about getting you pregnant, he's not a safe partner.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nerdfighterextraordinaire
Neophyte
Member # 44133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdfighterextraordinaire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, you guys are amazing. I took the test, it came back negative. *breathes*

It said i should take a test in a week if my period hasn't come, so, to the dollar store i shall go if that is the case. I'm guessing the stress of starting the semester kept me from ovulating. Whichever, I'm really happy that as of current, i don't think i have to spend 600$ or tell a random girlfriend she has to drive me to a clinic. lol

as per that man, well, I couldn't believe he did it either, I'm still pretty furious, so, no, i will not be having sex with him ever again. I have ALWAYS been so cautious, i just got so angry to have to be worried in this instance.

Now i just have to go get tested for everything else before I'm in the clear. Cross your fingers for that to all come out negative too.

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear. A follow up test a week later is certainly not a bad idea.

Good luck with everything else!

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.