Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » ... yes or no?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ... yes or no?
Fyv
Neophyte
Member # 42834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fyv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I was supposed to get my period like the week of the 25th of may and I haven't gotten it yet. I've been taking birth control correctly since January, and have gotten my period on about the correct time every month. But I've had light cramps all last month and I keep having a light discharge.

And yes, I have been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend, although we've been using the pull out method and he has NOT came inside of me. =/ I'm planning on getting a pregnancy test (friday, after my parents leave for the weekend.) But... I dunno. I guess I'm just really scared. And I haven't been having any symptoms, nor am I waiting for them. Any advice?

Posts: 1 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Fyv, just quick for now. I'm sorry to hear that you're really scared right now!

If I understand correctly, you have been using birth control pills as your birth control method? While BCP are not 100% effective for avoiding pregnancy, they're pretty darn reliable if you've been taking them correctly (everyday at about the same time.) It's good that you'll be getting the test soon but you're probably ok. A period can be missing for so many reasons, including stress. (Has it been an especially stressful time for you lately, like with finals?)

Could your boyfriend get a pregnancy test for you so you can take it now and have peace of mind? Tomorrow another volunteer or I can talk to you more about BC, your relationship, other things to consider, and what else has been going on in your life. (If you're interested, although we certainly consider them all inter-related.) In the mean time, I hope you can get some rest. Hang in there! [Smile]

Here are some articles to check out for now:

What's the Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessments
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Freakout's Soul
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests
Safer Sex...for Your Heart

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, something else I thought of when I reread your post? Have you and your boyfriend been recently tested for STIs? Again, what you're describing could very well be a number of factors but it's important and good to rule out any STIs. xo

Testing, Testing...
STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To
Stamp Out Cramps!
Misconception Mayhem: Separating Pregnancy and Pregnancy Risk Myths from Facts

(I know that's a ton. [Smile] So, you can just pick and choose for now or, if you're having trouble sleeping, can read them all.)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.