Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Late period and pregnancy tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late period and pregnancy tests
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the pill and am using condoms. I take my pill within 5 minutes of the scheduled time each day, and I check with a pharmacist for interactions before taking any other medicines with it. In addition, I have used a condom every time, and they've never broken, slipped, ect.

However, My period is late. While I severely doubt i'm pregnant, I'm starting to get a little worried.

I was kind of irregular before i got on the pill. I've been on it for two months, and am at the point where i'm supposed to be having my second withdrawl bleed.

Last month, It came on the second day of taking the placebo pill. This month, It's the 4'th day, and still no bleeding. Also, I'm concerned that if it does come towards the end of the week, I won't "finish bleeding", and will keep spotting, like i did when first starting the pill.

It is normal to have this much difference from month to month whie you're on the pill?

Also, Is it too early to take a pregnancy test? The first time I had sex was a month ago, and the last time a week ago, with a handful of times in between. None of these encounters were any more risky that the others.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can sometimes take more than two cycles of pills for your body to really get in a routine, so I'd generally not draw any conclusions about your body on the pill until you're past the first three packs. Even then, for some women, it can take a few more.

So, we're not really at what's normal yet when on the pill, if you know what I mean.

Per taking a pregnancy test, it's not too early for the risk from a month ago, and if your bleed is late, you can take a test for that last risk, too. With pregnancy tests, you want to take them either when a period (or withdrawal bleed) is late, or when it's been around two weeks since the last risk, whichever comes first.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to drop by walgreens in a little bit to get a test, but what hapens if the test is negative and my bleed doesn't come? Will it be likely that I will spot during the month. Does it put me at any risk for hormone issues?

Ironically enough, I have a gyno exam day after tomorow, so I guess the best thing to do would be to talk to her about it. Are there any questions that you think I shoud ask her?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd just wait on the test until you see your OB/GYN: silly to spend money you don't need to.

I don't know what you mean by "hormone issues," but just missing a withdrawal bleed or having spotting don't present any health risks in and of themselves.

I don't know what to tell you to ask your doctor, because as I said, in the first few cycles of the pill, what's going on with you isn't unusual.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.