Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » So I took the test....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I took the test....
DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 5 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been a long time since I've been on the boards and although it's primarily for teens I hope no one minds that I'm 24 and writing about this...

So I took a pregnancy test at work today and its POSITIVE. I haven't written about what has been going on because I've been extremely busy but here goes.....

My last normal period was 6 weeks ago on March 20. About 2 weeks ago I started having the worse breast tenderness I could imagine and my period was late...my first clues. Then I wondered because ever since I took EC back in Jan. my period was a little wonky so I thought it would come eventually but no such luck. So as time passed, the breast tenderness continued and nausea and headaches came about. I've been feeling like I've had a cold for a few days now and I think that was my excuse that I can't be pregnant but still no period. I had spotting around the time I thought I should have my period but that only lasted about 2 days.

So after being in denial for a couple of weeks I finally decided to stop wondering and find out for sure. It was one of those digital test and when I saw PREGNANT on the screen, I wasn't as shocked as I thought I would be but I guess in the back of my mind I already knew. So I'm booking an appt. to confirm the results but I'm not hoping for a negative because I know how rare false positives are. It's going to be with planned parenthood and I'm just wondering what to expect.

I haven't told the father yet because I just found out this evening but I'm definitely going to break the news as soon as I can tomorrow. I mean I am 24 years old, have my own apt and a job which isn't the greatest but better than nothing and the father is a decent man who loves children but doesn't have any others so this would be his first....

I guess I'm just rambling because I don't really have a question but just wondering how far along I really am...I figure about 4-6 weeks.

Anyone have any pointers or words of comfort?

Thanks for reading!

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DiamondGirl2K,

I'm glad that you feel comfortable coming here and talking about what's going on with you right now.

It's good that you've taken a test and have booked an appointment to have your results checked. As an early appointment, your care provider will probably retest you to verify (either via a urine test in the office or by a blood test). If you're not sure about your last period (and do make sure you tell them that), they may want to do a blood test to try to get a better date on the pregnancy. If you are pregnant, then your care provider will probably discuss your options with you (pregnancy either to parent or adoption, or abortion). You may also have a checkup and STI screening at this time as well.

Finding out about a pregnancy is obviously a really big thing and it involves a lot (physically, mentally, emotionally, and in terms of practical considerations like money, parenting, insurance, etc.). I'm sure you're still processing and figuring out what you want to do and what this means for you. Is there anything we can do to help you navigate this right now?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SB_2217
Neophyte
Member # 41165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SB_2217     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Although Im a little younger than you (Im 20). I was in the same situation not too long ago.

My period was late and I had that "funny feeling", like deep inside you know you're pregnant, that's what your body is telling you, but I kept making excuses for all my symptoms. I blamed it on EC (I took it like 2 months before I got preg so my periods were kinda crazy), I blamed it on stress, on everything I could. I just kept telling myself that the next day my period was going to come for sure...
Until one day I decided to finally get it over with and take a HPT.

Like you did... I wasnt too surprised about the result coming back positive, since like I said deep inside I already knew what it was going to be. That's why I was so afraid of taking the test.

Thankfully I was and still im in a stable relationship and things are going great for me right now. Im 5 months pregnant and happy as ever.

About the first appointment, it depends on your Dr. But usually they'll take an urine sample (to know right away if its positive), then you'll talk to the dr. My Dr. asked us about the father's and my medical history. If we had birth defects, or multiples on either side of the families, etc.
Then she asked if we planned to keep it or not.
She asked about the day of my last period.
I told her about taking EC back in Nov.

And then they took a blood sample, and she said that if that came back positive I had to come back for a transvaginal Ultrasound (not the most comfortable of exams btw) to determine how far along I really was (because of the EC she didnt know if my period was caused by the EC or if it really was my regular period, and they base the date of conception according to the day of your last period).

2 days later I called them and yeah, the blood test also came back positive (Which I already knew it was going to be after 3 HPT positive and an urine test at the DR's also positive)

Then when you come back to see the DR they'll also ask about medical history but this time there are so many questions. They'll also ask you about immunizations you have and they'll draw alot more blood to test.
They test you for STD's, and most important HIV.
And they'll do a pap smear too if you havent had one very recently. They'll take samples from your cervix.

I dont know if you already had the appointment or not, but either way hope this helps!

And whatever decision you make about your pregnancy, I wish you good luck!

Posts: 16 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to give you an update:

I went to the hospital about 2 weeks ago and found out I was 8 weeks pregnant and my estimate due date is around Christmas day. I finally told the father who at first seemed happy because he says he already knew. Then he goes on to tell me he's not crazy about the situation but I had already made up my mind! I was really upset with him because to me that's saying he wants me to get an abortion without saying it in so many words!

Now in my background and my religion I don't believe in getting abortions. (That's not putting anyone down who does believe in them). That's just what I was always raised to believe. I held off on telling my family because I still wasn't ready. However thanks to a nosey relative, everyone found out that I'm expecting. Most of my family are very supportive that I want to keep my baby but the one person who I need the most is against me- my mother. She thinks I should get an abortion because I should finish school and "this is not the only time you can get pregnant, you should wait until you're 30".

That broke my heart because I knew she wouldn't be thrilled but I expected more from her than that. Then my first prenatal appt is next week and I had been asking the father for over 2 weeks if he could go with me and just now he tells me he can't because he has to work at the time I have my appointment. Immediately I started to tear up because I did not make this baby alone and I figured he might give me more support than that.

At this point I just don't know what to do. I'm really upset because now I feel like I'm going to go through this entire pregnancy by myself and I always said I would never let myself get put in a situation like this. I mean he is not a child by any means. He's well over 35 years old with a pretty decent job and takes good care of himself. I just don't understand why all of a sudden he's acting like he didn't help me make this baby. We didn't plan it but we're both adults who knows the consequences of having sex.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing the right thing after all. I really don't have anyone I can go to to help me without hearing the I told you so and things like that.

--------------------
Diamonds R Forever!

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be realistic about this, there is a good chance that you will be going through this pregnancy and child rearing without this partner. Yes, your partner was a part of creating this situation...but the hard reality is that male partners often don't stick around after unplanned (or planned in some cases) pregnancies regardless of their age, situation, etc. From a legal perspective, he can be required to provide financial support for this child, but if he does not wish to take part further, you cannot make him do so. He is not the one who has to deal with a pregnancy, he is not the one to choose pregnancy options, carry a pregnancy or give birth. Other than the legal requirements, he can walk away from those consequences, if he chooses in ways that you cannot. Have you sat down and really discussed what part you want him to have in a child's life? You can absolutely let him know what you would like from him, but do understand that it does not mean that he will do those things for you.

How are your other sources of support? I know you've said that the reactions to your pregnancy have been somewhat mixed. Perhaps revisiting those conversations now and talking with your support system about what you need from them (after they've had some time to process the news) would be a good thing.

I also see you saying that you are unsure of your choice now. Would you like to talk further about your options?

[ 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well I decided that I am going to keep my baby. I had a long prayer the other night and feel like I'm doing the right thing for me and no one else. I decided that I'm not going to let anyone pressure me into something I really don't want because I know there would be many regrets later on.
I do hope the father comes around which he seems to be doing very slowly but if he doesn't then I can't force him to. I will however make sure I take legal action against him for support if necessary. Right now I just want to focus on staying positive because if its meant to be things will work out.
I'm happier now that I realized that so I am focusing on staying healthy for my baby. I had my first long prenatal appt today, on Wednesday I meet with the dr and nutritionist then in 2 weeks I get my first sonogram! I will be close to 13 weeks and I really hoped to have one sooner than that but the office has been booked with appt and I will have to wait.

Is it bad that I will be 13 weeks when I have my first sonogram? Should u have one sooner or does it depend on the dr? I guess its because I started the process late and was already 8 weeks when I found out! Any thoughts?

--------------------
Diamonds R Forever!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to not have a sonogram until then, especially since you're getting your other prenatal care. In fact, unless women have a history of pregnancy complications, 10-13 weeks is typical for the first one, and many women have their first even later, which is totally fine. That 10-13 week one is more about determining your due date than anything else.

Are you okay in terms of having resources you need for your pregnancy, be they about your health, fetal development, finances, etc?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.