Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » fertility

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fertility
DogLover
Activist
Member # 30965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DogLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am just wondering, are you more fertile when you've just finished your period or just before you start your period? i know everyones different but for the morjority or women.

thanks

--------------------
x Just me x

Posts: 115 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a typical, perfect, twenty-eight day cycle, with day one being the first day of your period, a woman will ovulate on the 14th day of her cycle - so, about a week after the end of her period. Thing is, especially for young women, most bodies aren't that regulated. So, you might ovulate at the very beginning of your cycle, or the very end. It's unlikely but you could even ovulate during your period. There really is no way for someone to tell if she is ovulating if her cycles haven't regulated themselves yet. Once they do become regular, you could check out the FAM contraceptive method (http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/get_with_the_flow_all_about_fam) in order to figure out when you're ovulating.
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using only a calendar even if you have had your period for years, is not very reliable at all. Day 14 is really just an average, even if the woman has a 28 day cycle. The only way to accurately chart your fertility (as in the article rosalinespork linked) is to take a daily basal temperature and check cervical mucus.
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DogLover
Activist
Member # 30965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DogLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so if i finished my period 2morrow and had sex the day after and the guy cumed in me, is there a high pregnancy risk?

--------------------
x Just me x

Posts: 115 | From: england | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a high risk of pregnancy ANY time intercourse takes place without the use of birth control. Check it out: http://www.scarleteen.com/pregnancy_risk_assessment_vaginal_intercourse. In fact, according to that page, your risk is generally higher during the first half of your cycle (which includes the day you're talking about). As a young woman, it's very important that if you do not want to become pregnant you use some method of birth control besides relying on timing with your cycles because that is very unreliable for younger women. Do you need help finding some sort of birth control that would work for you?
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DogLover
Activist
Member # 30965

no i am trying to get pregnant
thanks

--------------------
x Just me x

DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mind if I ask when this happened, if it was just a couple of days ago you might still have the opportunity to take emergency contraceptive. You can have up to 120 hours (5 days) if you are still in that window you should consider getting it ASAP, the sooner the better.
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DogLover, can I ask how long you've been trying to get pregnant, and whether you've talked this over with your gynecologist? It's a good idea for any woman trying to get pregnant to have a full physical, pelvic exam and STD screening to make sure she's in good health and able to go through a pregnancy safely. Your gyn will also be able to tell you a bit more about charting your cycles to see when you're most fertile.

There are a lot of other things to consider as well when you're trying to get pregnant - kids are life-changing in pretty fundamental ways. How does your partner feel about parenting? Is he willing to be an active parent and supportive partner, or do you expect to be single-parenting? What are your finances like? Your housing situation? Are you hoping to continue with school during your pregnancy and after? You've also mentioned here before that you have a phobia of doctors. Pregnancy and childbirth involves a lot of medical care: regular prenatal checkups, often ultrasounds, and most women give birth in a hospital setting. Are you comfortable with that?

From the birth date you've given in your profile, it looks like you're 16 - while I'm not at all suggesting that parenting as a teen is impossible, there are a lot of factors that can make it more difficult than parenting when you're in your twenties or thirties. What are the reasons you feel now is a good time to become a parent, as opposed to later in your life? I'd really encourage you to have a good long think about that, as well as the other questions I've asked here. You might also, if you haven't already, want to have a read through this article: I Want It NOW!

[ 04-28-2009, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DogLover
Activist
Member # 30965

well i wont try getting pregnant but i wont avoide it happening. i want to get pregnant but if it happens, it happens. and all the questions you ask yea there all fine.
thanks xx

--------------------
x Just me x

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that quite a few people here will agree with me when I say that taking the "if it happens, it happens" attitude combined with unprotected sex IS trying to get pregnant, but often without assuming the responsibility of taking care of your health in the way that you should before getting pregnant.

I'm going to re-emphasize the questions Karybu asked, but in bullet form just to make them a bit more clear. These are REALLY important questions for you to consider.

• What are the reasons you feel now is a good time to become a parent, as opposed to later in your life?
  • Are you hoping to continue with school during your pregnancy and after?
  • What are your finances like? Your housing situation?

I strongly believe that being a good parent begins with thinking about questions like these before you become a parent. You owe it to a child to prepare adequately before their arrival, and you owe it to yourself and any child to seek out proper medical care, something you have indicated will be really difficult for you.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DogLover
Activist
Member # 30965

right well i just feel now is a good time to become pregnant, i cant explain why, it just feels right. its hard 2 explain. i attend college at the moment but that wil be finished in few weeks. i will take a year or 2 out to have the baby and look after him or her but then go back to college, i have ffamily members who can help wit the childcare and everything, and who would help. i have a big house wit big rooms and spare rooms so thats all fine. if i get pregnant then i do. i just have to see what happens in the future really.
thanks

--------------------
x Just me x

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DogLover: since your parenting plan involves other members of your family, have you discussed this plan with them? Are they in agreement per providing childcare for you?

I ask that because if that's the plan, everyone involved shouldn't just be assumed to be on board, especially if you're planning to rely on them for housing, childcare, other costs, etc. That kind of co-parenting is just an awful lot to assume without some deep discussion and some tangible agreements.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.