Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Too late?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too late?
labeba
Neophyte
Member # 39236

Icon 11 posted      Profile for labeba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I have a question, it might be a dumb question but I'm still wondering. I had unprotected sex yesterday morning, and I took ECP (Plan B) at 8:30p.m. that same day. I had to take the next pill at 8:30 a.m. today, but I wasn't able to until 5 to 10 minutes after. Is that bad? Will it stop it from working correctly? Also how long should I wait until I get a pregnancy test? Will my period come when expected? Please Help!

--------------------
***la beba***

Posts: 20 | From: Saint Paul | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few minutes shouldn't make any difference in your level of protection from the ECP. It should still be able to work just fine.

With regard to a pregnancy test, you'll have to wait 10-14 days from your risk.
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

It's hard to say what will happen with your period. EC can cause some wonkiness for a cycle or two because it is a pretty big dose of hormones all at once.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
labeba
Neophyte
Member # 39236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for labeba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
***la beba***

Posts: 20 | From: Saint Paul | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
labeba
Neophyte
Member # 39236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for labeba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To follow up on my question:
I've taken Plan B once before, and I had a lot of side effects. Does it mean that it's not working if I am not having side effects? Also this is what happened. The morning that I had sex it was supposed to be my third to the last day of my period. But it wasn't flowing anymore. Yesterday was supposed to be my last day and nothing was coming anymore so I went on as usual. I had already taken plan B, but um this morning I woke up and I had a spot of blood on my everyday flow pad. I've heard that when the you get pregnant you start spotting. Is it true? I've also been spotting throughout the day.

--------------------
***la beba***

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Side effects are not an indication of whether the medication is working or not. They really have nothing to do with it. The difference between last time and this time could be related to any number of factors...where you are/were in your cycle, what was going on with your body at the time, etc. So I'd not worry about that.

And spotting is not related to pregnancy, nor is it a sign of pregnancy.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goofyface303
Neophyte
Member # 42364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goofyface303     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question regarding the plan B thing... i took plan b two days before my period was to occur but i had the risk on the 13th which is the 25 day of a possible 31 day cycle...is this why im not experiencing many symptoms bc my friend was really ill when taking it
Posts: 20 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

It's hard to say why side effects differ between women or between times...it might be cycle related for you or it might be something else to do with your body.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

goofyface303
Neophyte
Member # 42364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goofyface303     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you .... sry for tagging onto to someone elses post
Posts: 20 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
labeba
Neophyte
Member # 39236

so This morning I woke up with what seemed like my period. It felt like my period and it was flowing like it. But now it's super light. Is it my period? Or is it something else? Do you recommend me to still get a pregnancy test?

--------------------
***la beba***

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cycle wonkiness is a pretty common side effect of EC; it often causes a period to come early or be a bit late, be lighter or heavier, etc. It is still a good idea to take a pregnancy test after taking EC just to make sure - a test will be accurate 10-14 days after a risk, so you can test in a few days.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
labeba
Neophyte
Member # 39236

so my boobs hurt a lot....is it a common side effect of EC?

--------------------
***la beba***

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.