Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Unprotected Sex and Implanon Implant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unprotected Sex and Implanon Implant
girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

Icon 4 posted      Profile for girlflash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on the Implanon Implant for 2 weeks today, (i got it fitted at 9.30am two weeks ago today), and today me and my boyfriend had sex, but the condom fully split in half and he ejaculated inside me, now im utterly worried that i could get pregnant from this, what are my chances? Also do you still have 'most fertile days' on the implant? Do you think i should get emergency contraception? Im taking a pregnancy test on the 21st or 22nd of March as my period is due on the 19th, and i know the implant can mess periods up too [Frown]
I know the implanon is supposed to be 99.9% effective, but i've been reading internet horror stories that people have gotten pregnant on it. Im scared, [Frown] please please help me.

[ 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: girlflash ]

Posts: 21 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Contraceptive Implant (Implanon) is highly effective (99+%). Since it's been two weeks since you got your implant, you should be able to rely on it to protect you.

With the implant, you do not have any "most fertile days." It provides you the same amount of protection all the time.

As with any method of birth control, other than completely abstaining, you're not going to get 100% protection. Even with something like the implant, there will be a few women who may become pregnant. Generally speaking, this is probably due to something with their individual bodies. We're talking about a very small number of women however...certainly not the norm.

Your risk here seems pretty slim. As I said, the implant is very effective. Backing up with condoms is still fine though, since you are worried about pregnancy (and they are the only thing that offer you STI protection as well). Are you using extra lube with your condoms and applying them properly?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girlflash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We arnt using extra lube with the condoms, but they are being applied properly, we have used them before and they have been fine, but this one just utterly split, maybe it was a faulty one, i dont know, can you even get faulty ones, hah. But we will always use condoms even though i am on the implant, my friends are on the implant and have unprotected sex and are fine, but i guess pregnancy happens and you never can be fully sure. i will still do a pregnancy test, no matter what.
Posts: 21 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely take a test (once it's time) if it'll make you feel better. It's not like a test is going to "make" you pregnant. [Smile]

I'd suggest adding extra lube. A drop on the inside and then as much as is needed on the outside. While it is possible to get a "bad" condom, it's not likely at all. They go through very stringent testing. So when one does split, it's usually related to user error. If you know it was put on correctly, then the next most likely issue is dryness and friction. Naturally produced vaginal lubrication doesn't tend to hold up well to latex, so extra lube is going to help prevent breakage and increase comfort.

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girlflash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, my chance of pregnancy is slim? how slim? im sorry for all the questions im still worrying, i couldnt have a child, im only 18 [Frown] and do you know if anyone got pregnant on the implant before?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Well, according to our article the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon), the effectiveness rates listed go from 100% (w/ perfect use in clinical trials only) to 99%. Planned Parenthood lists the efficacy at 99.9%. This is really about as effective as you can get outside of abstaining completely.

I guess the bottom line here comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you feel strongly about getting EC and it's been less than 120 hours, then you can do so.

[ 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

i spoke to some friends today, and they think i should be ok, some think im being silly. i will wait and see, do a pregnancy test and see what happens then keep you posted. thanks so much, im such a stress head about everything, especially pregnancy. i mean, i keep stressing like this everytime, maybe i should abstain!
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Absolutely! We always say that if you are taking steps to protect yourself and still feel so stressed by the possibility of pregnancy, avoiding risky activities altogether may be a good idea for you. There is nothing that is worth this level of stress. When you reach a point that you are comfortable, sex will still be there.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

ok, so yesterday i got what looks like brown staining, not proper blood in my underwear and when i went to the toilet, im still getting it today, it literally is mild brown staining, and i have been having mild cramps, im so so worried this is implantation bleeding, my period isnt due until friday, and im not sure if i even will get it. it has been 3 days since i had sex, and the condom split, could this be implantation bleeding? im so worried, knowing i have the implant doesnt help because i dont even know if its working. [Frown]
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most common side effect with Implanon is spotting: for some women using it, that spotting may even be constant. Implantation bleeding is rare (and 3 days after a risk is too soon for implantation anyway), but spotting with an implant is common. Thus, it's way more likely that's why you are spotting.

No method of birth control is 100% effective, and every year with the Implant, like the other most effective methods, that still means around 2 women out of a thousand will become pregnant. Pregnancy is unlikely. It's a highly effective method.

My only other concern here are STIs: are you two both current with your screenings?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

neither of us have had screenings, we were both virgins, so are STD's are a big risk? I think i will get a screening though when i next go to my planned parenthood. It just feels weird to get spotting 3 days after sex because i havent had any before, like a coincidence or something. I dont know. [Frown]

also this spotting has occured like a week before my period is due, its due on friday, i have had this spotting for two days now. thanks for helping me Heather.

[ 03-15-2009, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: girlflash ]

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If neither of you have ever had partners for ANY sexual activity, then no, STIs would be unlikely. So, it's sounding to me like spotting from your implant is what's most likely here, by a long shot.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

Thankyou Heather. I don't know what I would do without Scarleteen, you are an utter godsend.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, we're so glad to be here for all of you. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

ok, so this is whats happening, it was 5 days ago now since i had sex, i have been having spotting for the past 3 days, today it has got heavier, but its not a period though, nothing like my normal ones, its really brown with some red in it, im still paranoid that this is implantation bleeding. Doesnt implantation bleeding occur a week before the period is due? my period is due friday, so the spotting has occured a week before. im still a bit worried and will do a pregnancy test in about 10 days to see. i know the biggest side effect of implanon is spotting, but this just seems weird to me. im sorry for hassling you!
Heather
Member # 3

Implantation bleeding -- when it happens or is obvious -- happens when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus. But implantation doesn't happen just a day or so after a risk: that's what I was trying to explain. Your spotting started too early to have been implantation bleeding. As well, implantation bleeding tends to be very light and very short, not like what you are describing.

Honestly, again, implantation bleeding is rare: spotting with Implanon is very common. I know it might seem weird to you, but it is the MUCH more likely explanation for this spotting.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

girlflash
Neophyte
Member # 40745

ok, im sorry [Frown] thanks Heather, this will be the end of it now [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

You don't have to be sorry. [Smile] I know it can be tough with "invisible" methods to feel confident in them working.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.