Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » 6 months off BC pill - late period - neg. pregnancy test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 6 months off BC pill - late period - neg. pregnancy test
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Background: I am 23 years old and have been in a monogamous relationship for 4 years. I was on the pill since I was 16 years old, but about 6 months ago I got off it for the first time because I was suffering from a condition called vulvodynia which makes sex very painful, & my doc suggested getting off to see if it would help. Well, it did - but my bf & I have not been happy using condoms so I was all set to get an IUD this month, for which I have been waiting to get my period. I am now a week late. Since getting off the pill, I have been fairly regular (about 30 day cycle). Before I was on the pill I remember having a very IRregular period. Last night I took a home pregnancy test which came out negative. I am still worried, however, since my period remains to be seen. My risk was very low - we only had sex without a condom one time, & still used vaginal contraceptive film & the pull-out method. I have also been having copious amounts of very watery, odor and colorless discharge. (STD's are not an issue - my partner & I have both been tested for everything)

One other thing, which I know is silly, but perhaps someone can ease my mind -- I looked at the pregnancy test this morning (despite the fact that it said to disregard any results after 10 mins) and it had changed to positive overnight. Should this be of any concern? I know I read it correctly within the time period it said to look at it.

Could this all be from my cycle finally returning to its normal irregularity after so many years of being on the pill?

BTW... I haven't been on Scarleteen since I was about 16, but I always remember it being such a great resource. I appreciate any advice/thoughts you have for me. Thanks!

[ 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: lilnerd ]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy test results are usually considered invalid after the test has sat for over five - ten minutes. If you read it during the correct time period, then that was the actual result.

This certainly could be a result of coming off the pill- some people do still experience irregularity even six months later, especially if you were on the pill for a very long time (as you were- about 7 years, right?).

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup, just about 7 years. Thanks!
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI? I'd be sure to check in with your GYN about that discharge if it keeps up. Sometimes, BV has discharge like that, and that's something women can develop at any time, even when partners are STI-free.

But of course, too, you would have only seen thicker discharges on the pill, so it may be normal discharge unfamiliar to you because it's been so long since you've seen regular discharge changes in a natural cycle. But it never hurts to be sure.

(Good to see you again, lilnerd!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Thanks Heather! Do you think I should call my doc if I don't see my period this month anyway?

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.