Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » iron pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iron pills
Kim_S
Activist
Member # 25758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kim_S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
apparently my baby has been taking my iron and now I'm anemic and my doctor put me on iron pills. i have to take them twice a day and it says to take them on an empty stomach...which, btw, its hard for a pregnant person to have an empty stomach twice, im always eating...one of the labels on the medicine says take with plenty of water. i was just wandering if it really mattered what u used to take it. i have trouble swallowing pills, but these are small enough that i can. i just can't take pills with water. i have to use milk. i take synthroid everyday and i use milk for that. my stepdad said something about milk makes the pill take longer to get into ur system and you dont get as much as your supposed to. i was wondering if that was true...or if it really mattered if i take the pills with milk since thats all i can take it with...thanks.
Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about iron pills is that they're notorious for causing nausea. That is the reason why it's recommended you take it on an empty stomach - to reduce the chance of nausea. I realize it can be tough to make that work (heck, last time I was put on iron, they wanted me to take it 5 times a day - on an empty stomach), so you'll just have to try and figure out what works for you.

It's also actually recommended to take iron pills with orange juice, as the vitamin C helps the body absorb the iron. Maybe you can give that a try?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had low iron, too, while pregnant and the pills made me vomit all day. I found some liquid iron at the health food store. It tasted like crap but helped SO much. I wish I could tell you the name of it but I just happened to throw the bottle out while cleaning out my fridge the other day.
Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kim_S
Activist
Member # 25758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kim_S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does sunny d count as orange juice? i think i just have to have something with texture. i know its because of nausea. i have to take my synthroid on an empty stomach also for the same reason. so taking the iron pill once on an empty stomach is no problem, i take it when i wake up. ive only taken 2 pills and i havent really felt sick yet. and im kinda hoping i dont. thanks...
Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acs79
Activist
Member # 33994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acs79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on iron pills (or am supposed to be on iron pills) for years. They always make me throw up whatever I've eaten that day. However, I've found that buying the extended-release tablets helped to cut down on the nausea. Also, you can buy some iron supplements that also have folic acid. These don't have as much iron in them as ferrous sulfate, but maybe you can work your way up to a higher dosage.

I hate iron pills.

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mickeh
Neophyte
Member # 33268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My iron pills used to make me nauseous, so my doctor told me to take them just before bed with juice (only juice, no other drinks.) Since then, I haven't been nauseous at all.
Posts: 34 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kim_S
Activist
Member # 25758

my doctor prescribed the ferrous sulfate at 325 mg i think it said...someone recommended orange juice because the vitamin C helps, and ive been taking the pills with the sunny d because it says it has 100% vitamin c. i have a paper route in the morning so i take my pills when i get home from that, around 6:30. and i have to take it twice a day so im trying to do it 12 hours apart. but does it really matter how far apart i take them? if i take one at 6:30am then another one before bed, usually around 10, that wont hurt anything, right? the only problem is having an empty stomach the second time...ive been setting my cell phone alarm everyday so i know when to stop eating...also, the warning says take on an empty stomach, 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after u eat...the or means i can take it on an empty stomach and then go eat something right away, right? do i have to wait an hour after i take it before i can eat anything? thanks...
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, the reason why there are so many rules about when/how to take iron is to avoid the nausea. I suggest you follow the directions as best as you can.

If the directions say to take it an hour before eating, that means that you should wait an hour after taking the pills before you eat anything.

If you have any more questions about this, though, you should really call your doctor and ask them to clarify. While we're happy to help out with general questions as best as we can, none of us are physicians.

[ 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to nitpick a point no one picked up yet, SUNNY D is NOT orange juice. Look at the nutritional label. It's only about 5% juice, and the rest is sugar.

Throw away the Sunny D. Go buy some real orange juice. The label will say "100% juice."

This is just another reason we have a national problem with obesity! Some companies make it hard for regular folks to tell the difference between real fruit juice, and sugary junk.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.