Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Teenage mommies? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Teenage mommies?
Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mommyat16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering how many teenage moms there were here? I dont wanna feel like i'm the only one, i know i'm not but i want to hear about other girls stories and how their lil ones are doing, maybe compare mommy notes.

And also i was wondering how many teenage mothers ACTUALLY stay with the baby's father?

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Posts: 21 | From: Pregnantville | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked out Girl-Mom.com , Mommyat16? It's a place where you can connect to other young moms, read their stories, share your own, and get advice. We have a few mamas around the boards; I'm sure they'll be happy to pop in and say hello if they find a moment!

And also i was wondering how many teenage mothers ACTUALLY stay with the baby's father?

Sadly, very, very few. Young adult relationships often aren't long-lasting as is; throw a child into the picture with all the added responsibilities and stress, and you have a difficult situation.

While there is HUGE societal pressure for young moms to lock down/marry/what have you with the baby's father, that's idealism rather than the norm. The truth is that you're always hearing about child support battles more than happily-ever-after stories for a reason.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mommyat16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, i will look into girl-mom.com, sounds nice.

Well i live in a lil town of like 5600 people and i got pregnant sept. 05 and then after that it seemed like every week i was hearing about another girl was pregnant, it was ridiculous...i started a trend (not a good one either).

And yes, child-support court is very aggravating, i have only had to go once so far that was in Jan. and i was to start receiving, get this, $10 a month immediately and here it is the middle of Feb. and still no ten bucks. But ten bucks only buys a small pack of Luvs.....

but i was just wondering if there was a lot of teen moms or if most of the moms on here were in their 20s or around there somewhere.

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Posts: 21 | From: Pregnantville | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah, most likely because this is a sex ed site where users come to find out how NOT to become pregnant, and often come here before that happens when it is simply a natrual result or a BC failure, most of the young parents who post here are in their late teens or early twenties. Plus, teen pregnancy rates have been on a decline over the past few decades due to contraceptive use and availability.

On the other hand, I know we also have a few users who are in their twenties now, but who became parents in their teens.

Give this thread a few days, a week, and I'm sure you'll hear from some other young mamas. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mommyat16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i understand what you mean.

But since it said pregnancy AND parenting, i figured we might be able to talk about parenting as well as the pregnancy part, but i thought if women came on here and talked about their experiences then other girls read it and possibly be a lil safer when they do the 'deed'. I feel weird saying 'deed' haha!

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, you totally CAN talk about parenting, as much as you like. No limits on that here, ever. People get pregnant, and some of them are young people. While we'd like to do all we can to help people not become pregnant when they do not want to be, we also, as an organization and collective, see no reason for young parents or pregnant teens to be ashamed or isolated, and lots of reasons that's a terrible scenario.

Of course, I'd feel a bit odd about it if young teen mommas were only talking as to try and be some sort of cautionary tale for other women, though, however much I understand that's a positive motive on your part.

In other words, I'd prefer that young parents here talk when they want to, in a way that's also of value to them, and in a way in which they don't feel the need to paint themselves as some sort of bad result, if you get me. In having this area of the boards, our aim was really to provide support for pregnancies and young parents, rather than to put pregnant or parenting teens up as a sort of "This could happen to YOU if you don't be good!" [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 19, and I have a 6 month old son. I'm still "with" his father, but I feel like a single parent. I only see him/talk to him when I'm driving him places, because we have one car and his license is suspended, so it's up to me. Today I picked him up at work and then he met up with some friends to skateboard and play video games (he's 20, btw). He didn't come home at all, but I think he did lean back to look at Nolan once or twice.

So I'm still with him, at this point, but I think I kinda know how you feel to be without him. As I got home I realized I haven't eaten in about three days. I hadn't even noticed. So I fed my son, looked around and saw that we have nothing. I could go to the store but then I'd have to pack up the baby and take him out into the rain, plus I'm dizzy and light headed and don't feel like I should be driving. So I just made some tea instead.

I like what Heather said, about not wanting to make myself out to look like a "bad result" and I don't want to feel ashamed or isolated. But I DO feel isolated, extremely. Some days are better, like when I'm rolling on the floor playing with him, or like when my boyfriend decides to make an appearance and by some miracle we're actually talking instead of ripping each other apart. But today the baby has bronchitis and is teething and my boyfriend ditched me, and I spent the baby's naptime searching the house for formula coupons instead of something more relaxing, like, taking a shower.

And I was trying to think of someone I could call, or someone who I could go and talk to, who wouldn't judge me or preach at me, or be annoyed by me and of course there was no one. I didn't think that I could be this lonely when I have my son right here, sleeping about 2 feet away from me right now.

But I love my son, and as hard as my life is, it's my life and I don't regret it.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alice:
And I was trying to think of someone I could call, or someone who I could go and talk to, who wouldn't judge me or preach at me, or be annoyed by me and of course there was no one.

I'm sorry to hear today's a bad day, Alice. However, there are people for you to call, who won't judge or preach or be annoyed by you. Do you still have the groups/names Heather mentioned-- they're there for you but you have to make that first step to get in touch. [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Yes u all have valid points.. i didnt mean what i said in a bad or negative way, is was more of a 'what could happen' sorta thing. I mean i love my daughter, she is my world, but i do regret being this young.

Alice, i know how you feel about being isolated...
some days i just have to sit here at home with Steph on my lap and stare aimlessly into the tv. But it seems we are on the same boat, stephie has a cold and so do i. Plus stephie has a fever of 100.9 F, low grade right? Does anyone know what it means when it looks like the cold is her eye? I would make a dr appt. but the stupid clinic is closed until tuesday i think. Plus we just got 4 inches of snow over night too.....

I feel like we are snowed in, only with a 4x4 jeep....haha

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Heather
Member # 3

I really should have said feeling any MORE isolated than young Moms already do, since that's what I meant.

Isolation is a big, big issue for teen and young Moms, Alice. So, if it's any consolation, it's hardly just you. It can be a particular double-whammy for pregnant women who expect that having a kid will make them feel less isolated, and it can also be an extra punch in the gut when everyone who was all excited and around (if people were) when your kid was first born, or when you were pregnant, starts to fall away soon after, which also often happens.

(And by all means, email me if you want to get more connected: you should still have my personal email, okay?)

Sarah, when little ones have a fever at that level, it's really best to get them in and be seen, particularly if whatever infant fever reducer you've used isn't working to reduce it. And if it looks like she's got an eye infection of some sort, by all means, get in. If your regular clinic isn't open, might there be any walk-in clinics nearby? Or might you be able to ring your pediatrician?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Well, i called the hospital that i delivered at in a nearby town where her Dr is main framing from. But she wasn't there so i talked to a pediatric nurse and she told me that is was a bacterial infection from the underlying cold that she has. She said that the clinic actually will be open on monday and that i should make and appt. But until then to just keep and eye on the fever and give her fluids. As well as clean the gunk from her eye as often as needed, but she said that it was a normal thing and not to be alarmed unless she starts acting really sick or the fever jumps way up.....so hopefully she will be fine. Steph is 8 months old and this is only her 2nd cold, i am amazed and grateful for that.

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah, I did that same thing when Nolan was really tiny. He snuggled up on my chest and we hardly ever left the couch.

I'm really kind of starting to wonder about my mental state. I mean, my boyfriend is pushing me to get "medicated" and normally that would make me think HE was crazy but today I was driving with him after we dropped off Nolan at my dad's house for like an hour, and we were fighting and just being irritated with each other and I just had this terrible urge to drive us right into a tree. I mean, I know I would never do that only because I love my son but still, it was hard to fight it.

And other times I feel like just packing up and leaving, either taking Nolan with me or leaving him here, which ever mood I'm in. And again, I wouldn't do that but it's in the front of my mind quite a bit.

I feel like a terrible mommy and person for even feeling that, and I really do love him but I don't know how much more I can take of my life.

Oh, and Sarah: the rule of not worrying too much about the kid as long as they're acting like their normal selves, like rolling around on the floor being giggly, is a good one. Once I finally learned to not worry so much about him unless he gets lethargic or a high fever I started getting more sleep, for sure. But definately take her in to see a doctor, and if they tell you "to calm down it's only a cold" and look at you like you're crazy, get a new doctor. That's what I did. [Smile]

Well, it's 2am and I'm sure I could ramble on forever but I just heard Nolan wake up (again) so I'm going to try and make him fall back asleep with me and when I read this tomorrow I'm sure it'll make no sense so I'll fix it like the perfectionist I am.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a young daddy. =) I have a two month old daughter, Amelia. Her mother and I are engaged, happy, stable, and we have a lot of support from so many people. I think that's what makes being a young parent any easier. Having people here to help, and to assure us that the baby pimple isn't cancerous.

It sounds like you girls are doing a really great job dealing with this on your own. Kudos to you. =)

Just wanted to introduce myself in here, I'll probably be checking in a lot. XD

Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

My mom is going to call the clinic in the morning and see when the soonest they can get Steph in tomorrow, her normal dr isnt there tomorrow only tuesdays and fridays. I'd rather get her in to the dr thats there than give the virus another day to be there in my baby girl....

and to John, i am vary glad to hear that all has been working out with your life....
good for you!

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinics really should be open 24/7...I understand it's hard for them to get there and provide service, but isn't it so much harder to deal with a sick baby? Good choice your making, bringing her in even without her usual doctor. I'm sure whoever is there will be just as capable.
Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Clinics aren't open 24/7 but hospital ARE, and I've learned to follow my instinct when deciding to take my son (or even myself) there or to wait until the doctors office is open. Multicare, which is the health system here, has a 24 hour nurse line, which I call quite a bit. It's a really great thing, I call and either a nurse answers or I leave a message explaining everything and they call back within 30 minutes. Usually they tell me I'm already doing everything I can, and to keep it up. But one time I called (before I knew he had bronchitis) to ask if it's safe to use infant robetussin and what the dose would be, and the nurse was really rude about it, telling me that death stats are rising because of that stuff but that "you'll probably give it to him anyway, so if you do then give him .5 mL's.
I mean, hello? Like I'm going to give my baby something after learning that so many other babies are dying from it...

I hate it when people assume I must be really stupid based on the fact I'm a teenage mother. Grrr...

( I could go on about this, but I won't, because this is the first time in eons I've had the house to myself, baby is at my mom's for the next 2 hours and my boyfriend is at his brothers house playing video games!!! I think I'll take that bubble bath I've been craving since... well, since before I couldn't fit in the bathtub because I was SO hugely pregnant, and since before my darling little boy was born. Awww, I miss him already, two hours to go, and I'm certainly not going to waste it doing the dishes like I said I would! Ha! )

--------------------

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

(Alice, strange little side note. XD You had exactly half my post count right before i sent this. 84/42)

Ughh..Nurses annoy the heck out of me sometimes. You either get a really great one, or a really...awful one. Just the other day at the doctor's office, and I mentioned that Amelia had some dandruff, and before I could even ask her if that was normal, she made a disgusted face and said "ew". Really, how unprofessional is that. I'm sure she sees worse things throughout the day, and she gets disgusted, physically disgusted about dandruff? Granted I'm not the easiest person to deal with, especially in such a setting, but she shouldn't have reacted that way about such a tiny issue. They should have a comment/complaint hotline. XD

What you just said--bubble baths and dishes--reminded me of a Seinfeld episode. If anyone watches it. When Kramer decides to basically run his life in the confines of his shower. He does his dishes in there too. =P But if no one who checks this thread watches Seinfeld, this comment is totally irrelevant.

As I'm sitting here with little Amelia, I notice her eyes drift inwards sometimes, like she's cross-eyed. It's really funny, but I'm worried. My mother always told me my face would stay like that if I did something of the sorts. XD I can't tell her to stop that. Anyone know if there's something I can do? Or if I should just ignore it?

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Ok John, a few things before I pass out...

1. the dandruff your baby has is called cradle cap, Nolan had it super, super bad for a few months before I finally figured out that all you have to do is rub some baby oil onto her head and (gently) comb it off. It may take a few days before it all comes off. And if it's way bad, you can actually buy some stuff called Cradle Cap Remover, I got it at Target for like $6, I don't remember what brand it is but I know it has Winnie the Pooh on it....

2. Babies can be cross eyed for the first few months. I think it's supposed to be gone by 6 months, but I'm not entirely sure on that. I think Nolan's eyes adjusted completely around 4 months, really not much to worry about. Oh and, it's okay to think it's funny. Nolan used to go cross eyed and then shake his head around, and we would totally crack up.

3. I grew up watching Seinfeld and I think Kramer is the most hilarious person in the world and sometimes I can even relate to his way of thinking (but only sometimes...)

4. I don't even know what I'm still doing awake! It's like I'm so used to getting no sleep that I'm doing it on purpose for no reason so I'm going to sleep before the baby wakes up again... good night all.

Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Hey everyone, well we took Stephanie to the dr this morning...and she has a cold in bother eyes and and ear infection in her left ear....yipee. But now she gets to take a teaspoon of some aproxcillan stuff three times a day and i get to have the joy of fighting her to put 2 drops of the stuff in each of her eyes every four hours, joy joy.

Yea ok, just gave her the first dose of the antibiotic and she swallowed most of it and the rest on her white night gown, the stuff is BRIGHT PINK.

I can only imagine how many people it will take to hold her down to put the eye drops in...2 maybe three I'm guessing.

If anyone would like to see a updated picture of Stephanie (assuming they have a myspace)you can go to --edit-- and view my pics, i only have one of her on there its like on the third page of pictures...it is very recent too, I'm talking i took it like Friday or something.

And now the lil one is getting into my purse and pulling everything out of it and onto the floor, oh well as long as she doesn't eat any of it its ok.

Alice how is Nolan's bronchitis going? Is he getting any better?

[ 02-19-2007, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Just an FYI, Mommyat16- we generally do not allow people to post Myspace pages on Scarleteen because often people put personal information on them, so it's a bit of a safety concern. Someone may come along and edit your post, so just a heads up [Smile] ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Oh ok, i didnt know.....i'm sorry!

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Sarah- tip for giving baby medicine- doing while they're eating! Whenever I've had to give Nolan any type of medicine, trim his nails, comb out cradle cap, etc., I always do it while he's snuggled up with a bottle. He's so interested in eating that he's way more tolerant of me messing with him.

And his bronchitis is WAY better! He just finished the antibiotics but we're still going to have to use the nebulizer for a few more days but that's no biggie, he loves it for some reason. He's a tough little guy, I feel so lucky to have such a laid back, happy kid.

I've just started to realize that I can venture out into the world with Nolan, to save my sanity. I used to work at the Zoo so I know there's a free day once a week, I looked up stuff and I found tons of things to do with kids and little money. I'm watching a four year old for 8 days starting on Friday, so I've really been trying to find stuff to do so we don't go mad. I found out there's a lego room at a nearby funky shopping place, I think it will be great for my cousin, great for Nolan to be exposed to the world, and great for me to get out of my tiny (and seeming to get darker and smaller by the minute) world.

I've also found out that some girls I used to know, like in 9th grade, have had babies so I'm trying to reconnect with them. An old friend of mine had TWIN girls a little over a month ago, so it's felt pretty good to actually be able to help her out a little.

Next month I'm hoping to join the YMCA, because they'll watch your baby for up to 3 1/2 hours a day, and maybe I can work out a little and try to relieve some of my tons of frustration and just sheer panic. With membership they also have free swimming classes for babies, so when Nolan turns 9 months I am for sure signing him up for that. AND their fee is on a sliding scale, so I should be able to afford it. (not to mention I used to be a modern dancer, so feeling still huge from pregnancy and so inactive has probably been a huge contributer from my depressed state I've kind of been in. I think if I could get even close to my old size, I would feel a lot better. Maybe not qutite all the way down though, because there was a time I was too skinny, I was just looking through pictures and my eyes nearly popped out because I had no idea how freakin' skinny I got at a point)

I'm also thinking about getting a part time job after I'm done watching my cousin, partly because we really need the money, I hate being dependant on anyone (especially a boy) and I think I just really need some adult interaction. I figure I can work evenings and weekends, my boyfriend has a regular 8-5 job so we'll barely see each other, but I think that could be a good thing. We need some time apart, or at least, I need some time away from him...

( sorry this got so long. I'm feeling hopeful for the first time in months. I think after Nolan's nap we're going to go through the 5 Mile Drive at the park before we pick up his dad from work. I hope I spread some of that hope around. People, we're young and we're parents but that doesn't mean we need to stick at home with unwashed hair and sticky feet watching talk shows. ((I didn't mean to imply that anyone but me does that)) )

[ 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Alice ]

Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Alice, is there anyway that i can get my email addy to you without breaking a scarleteen guideline rule thingy? Because i'm sure we could spend hours on IM swapping baby stories.....not that either of us have hours, let alone a half an hour, to spend yapping.

Does anyone feel like that just because they are a teenage parent that people, whom you don't even know, think less of you and have a bad mind frame towards you? I know that i'm not the only one this happens to. But i know that some people are nicer in some places than others. (sometimes!!)

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Alice, I think it's a great idea that you're getting Nolan and yourself out of the house and around other people. Being cooped up all day isn't good for either of you. The change of his normal scenery should certainly stimulate his mind. Small things like going to the park, the YMCA, on walks ...that's like us going to India and Ghana! XD Besides that you need to be around other people. Otherwise you'll just get sucked down into a world that revolves around diapers and bottles. Parent groups and meetings will be like this message board--talking to each other, helping each other out, giving advice--only you will be out of your home and you can have Nolan socializing.

Sarah, keep a bib on her! XDD You don't want to keep ruining her outfitss. I love picking clothes out for Amelia. ...If I could get the clothes on that would be wonderful...buuuut I'm useless in that department.

Amelia was doing the cutest thing today. She was in the carrier/carseat thing which was on the floor, as her mother and I were getting our coats on, and my dog walks over and lays down in front of her. Now, he always has a toy in his mouth, the squeaky kind. So he was staring at her, she was staring at him, and every time he pressed down on it to squeak it, Amelia started to laugh and squeal. XD It was so funny. Now whenever she hears that noise she starts to laugh.

I should probably get off of here now. XD I'm supposed to be working on my thesis...23 pages down....27 more to go. Nathaniel Hawthorne freakin' owns.

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is so interesting to read, you guys!!

Alice, so glad to read your last post, to hear you're feeling more positive about things. Sounds like you've got some great stuff planned (the play options, reconnecting with people, finding some time for yourself and your interests, etc.)! I think it's so often in life that a little hint of good potential is what it takes for us to starting realizing all the good stuff there is. Hope things continue to feel upbeat! [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

I'm actually surprised about the feedback I'm getting for being a young parent. On the streets, no one stares. When I make new friends, they think it's adorable. (Let them see Amelia after midnight and then have them call this situation adorable...;P)

I had been preparing myself to be shunned by society. I'm not a teenager, really, I'm twenty. Still young, though. I visited a teacher of mine at a retirement home the other day, and the older crowd seemed a bit taken aback at the fact that I, at a mere twenty years old, had a daughter. After the initial shock died down though, they muttered something about how kids are getting pregnant at such young ages--how it was when they were younger.

I'm sure in people's minds they're thinking things about my little family. Irresponsible, immature...things like that. But I honestly could care less what they think. If they aren't fine with it that's their problem. When Amelia was conceived I used a condom, I was and am in love with her mother; I feel I was responsible about the way I handled having sex. The little sperm got through the condom though. Things like this happen, and I'm really happy it did. Granted it wasn't a convenient time, but nothing is, and my family has adapted to and welcomed her arrival.

Let these people think what they want. We have kids. Our timing may not have been perfect, but so what? They are here, and we are happy and love them. We can't make them go away, we couldn't even imagine making them go away. This is life.

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

(As interesting as this thread is, it sure is a distraction!)
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Well, as I write this, my adorable little laid back child is screaming his head off while I bounce him in my lap, trying, for the love of anyone, to get him to go back to sleep. Rocking him in the computer chair works better than the rocking chair. He's screaming, squriming, and arching his back. If it wasn't for the two hours my boyfriend by some miracle let me sleep, I could be really going nuts by now...

I don't know what happened! My hopeful mood continued through the evening until I started feeling kind of sick, dizzy and tired. I totally just passed out in our bed (which I haven't slept in for weeks) and he took care of our son, let me sleep. I woke up to high pitched screaming, though, and him being pretty frustrated. I think Nolan is used to our routine of him falling asleep with me, and I carefully get up and do my own thing (shower, use computer, eat, etc) and then I slide right back next to him on the futon in our living room. His schedule has been disturbed. But it was nice for him to get to hang out with his dad.
His dad, who must be feeding into my hopeful mood, who just left to get me some sprite to settle my stomach. (I feel awful, still not period going on two months now, but there's no way I'm pregnant. Two negative tests. What the heck.)

Nolan is getting mad because I won't let him pound on the keyboard. If he deletes this I'm giving up. But here he goes: dfghjkijrffgthbnjb tygbhnybfvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvbnnnnnnvgbfv vbmuyv cccv0ugjkhnjnukhujkiuhyibuhjikbn

(I think that means, translated: I'm going to drive my dear mommy crazy for a few more hours, she'll rock me and feed me and change me and play peekaboo, but I will not back down. I will finally fall asleep on her chest just as she's getting ready to wake up my daddy, hand me over and head for the hills. ((just kidding about that part, plus the closest hills are downtown Crackville (which is where I live and that just isn't safe at night.) )) )

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Hey Alice, just take things one step at a time. There are bad moments to go with the good moments, but it's the challenging ones that make the good ones even sweeter. [Smile] (This is sort of the idea behind therapy to deal with depression: it's about getting out to up the possibilities of good things and being open to them versus focusing on the bad stuff.)

Same goes for being happy and hopeful versus sad and, well, lacking hope. Sometimes we're more up and sometimes we're more down, but that doesn't cancel out the good feelings-- some days are just harder than others for no apparent reason! (Do you remember this book?) But the next one can be good again. This principle applies to all of life, and especially to childraising, I assume.

Look at all the positive stuff in your post: Nolan had an unusal chance to spend time with his dad at night, which gave you a break to sleep and have time for yourself, your boyfriend did something thoughtful and caring when you were sick, and Nolan's working on his fine motor skills with that typing. [Wink]

To put it in perspective with an example from my life today: I had to deal with some bureauocratic crap today that was quite stressful. I could focus on the one mean woman I dealt with, or I could think of how most people were quite decent and I got it done fast! Or instead of being mad at my boyfriend for not brushing this teeth this morning (this sounds really bad but it was ok situationally) or I could be glad he, even without my asking, got up at the a**-crack of dawn to go there with me and potentially wait for hours...

Can you do that here, too: post two annoying things from your day/dealing with your son, but then explain how they or other things were positive in a way? (Same goes for Mommyat16 and John_Bonsan or other parents if you want... just for proof that, despite the trying moments, things are usually ultimately good?)

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Aww. -Hugs- Don't worry Alice, he'll adjust to a new routine in a few days...or weeks. XD If this routine is easier on you, let him cry it out. If you're not happy there's no way he'll be happy. Unless you have sociopathic baby.

Isn't it frustrating when they scream and you can't do ANYTHING to calm them down? I love my daughter very much, but sometimes I feel like she hates me. There are moments where she's just adorable--smiling when I walk into the room, reaching out for me to pick her up. But that's simply an act. That only happens when her mother, grandparents, aunts, uncles...when anyone is next to me, or in the room. When it's just me and her alone in the house, she goes insane. Screaming, high pitched crying and screaming... The ONLY thing that calms her down, is a massage. It's obvious this little girl will be high maintenance.

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

1.) I printed out my long long paper and Amelia drooled on it. It's good because when I glanced at the spot the spit landed on, it turns out she drooled on a grammar error. Smart girl. XD

2.) She can never be alone. Ever. We can't leave her in a crib by herself at night. So Elizabeth and I have a sleeping schedule. Which really isn't good for either of us, not being able to sleep continuously throughout the night. This results in headaches and nausea throughout the day. The good of this is...it forces me to get some schoolwork done...and if she does something cute, I don't miss it? It pains me to say I'd rather sleep than watch the drool dribble from her mouth as she sleeps, but, it's true.

Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Ok, wow that was a lot to read since i was last on here...haha. Stephanie is actually starting to get better with the medicine,even though at nihgt her ear hurts and she screams off and on half the night in pain. But the eye cold is getting so much better just after one day of eye drops too.

But again, Alice is there anyway to get my msn addy to u?

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

Heather
Member # 3

(Sarah: in order to protect everyone's safety and privacy at Scaerleteen, which is a particularly important issue at a site for young adults talking about sex, but where anyone at all can register, we have always had a policy where user's emails, messengers, and other personal contact information aren't posted and may not be publicly posted. It also tends to make users more comfortable posting here, and more comfortable talking knowing they won't ever be asked for that information.

But of course, y'all are completely welcome to talk as much as you like on the boards.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Mommyat16
Neophyte
Member # 32695

Well, i just was wanting to chat with her and not clog up your boards that's all.....

--------------------
Sarah the Momma.....

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Sarah it's great to here Stephanie's feeling better.

What is an eye cold? I've never heard of that before.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.