Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » She's here! =)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: She's here! =)
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amelia Rose Bonsan, 5 pounds 5 ounces and 18 inches long. She was born December 12th at 12:03 p.m. A few weeks early but the doctors expected that.

Elizabeth went into labor at 9 a.m. on the 11th. We were instructed to stay home until the contractions got closer together, but within two hours she, who has no tolerance for pain, forced me to take her to the hospital. We stayed there throughout the entire process. After long, long labor and Elizabeth making me feel very guilty, Amelia was born. Her heart rate was low and her breathing erratic. We had to stay in the hospital for nine days so that she could heal up.

I can't believe that I have a daughter. I think I was more used to the idea when she wasn't really here than I am now. I can't even comprehend that she's here because of me and her mother, that one night with Elizabeth created this! Granted it took a few months for her to grow and all, but it really was just one night. It's amazing to think about.

Not only can't I grasp how she got here, but now that she's here, she's totally dependent on me. I think I am starting to feel like a father. She's been making 'cooing' noises when I or her mother talk to her. It's adorable, and even if the noises and our voices are just a coincidence I still adore it.

With her everyday life...she certainly has no schedule. One day she can sleep for hours at a time, and the next she's screaming like someone tried to cut her fingers off! I remember one of my brothers being like this, and if her case is anything like his, we're in for a nightmare up ahead.

I'm so excited about this all. =) I was glad I had a moment to post this up. Most of my free time now is spent taking pictures of Amelia or just sitting there staring. It truly is amazing, I didn't think being a father would be anything like this.

[ 12-30-2006, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: John_Bonsan ]

Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, congrats! I'm glad your daughter arrived safely. I remember how worried you were a few months back so I'm glad to know there's a happy conclusion to it all. Best to you, Elizabeth and Amelia!

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congrats, John. [Smile]

Glad to know everything is going well for yourself and Elizabeth.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
congratulation john

glad to hear mum and baby doing well

it must be a relief after all the trauma and grief

lots of love and best wishes

liz

ps love her name

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amelia is a little over a month old now, and I think she's finally settling in. She's a loud one...very, very fussy. The only times she's really quiet is...when she's sleeping, and when we have Frank Sinatra on. I was thinking about getting her a little ipod so she could take it with her in the stroller. xD No, no, I wouldn't do that... She also likes being outside, and around people. She's very, very alert. It seems like her eyes are constantly moving around, trying to take in everything.

My computer must hate me...I think I go through a whole memory card of pictures every day. A lot of them are repetative, but I could just sit there taking pictures all day. I keep meaning to save them onto CD's, so I can free up some space on the computer, but I just can't get around to it. So many other things to do...like, send pictures to relatives, and, get prints sent out for albums, and..watch her!

I think the only big problem Elizabeth and I are facing is what to do when nothing we do soothes her. We've read about self-soothing, but then again, comforting and providing her with a safe environment is essential too. We can't bare listening to her cry, and cry, and cry... It's heartbreaking. Any one have any thoughts on how to deal with the situation? Something that's worked for you?

[ 01-23-2007, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: John_Bonsan ]

Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, newborns -- especially in the first month -- are pretty normally often fussy. It's part of the gig: it's the only way they have to communicate or express themselves, after all, and they've just been through about as big a change as it gets.

Sometimes, overuse of strollers or cribs, rather than a lot of contact (do you have a baby sling) are an issue, sometimes newborns essentially are missing the womb, so keeping them pretty tightly wrapped and snuggled can help.

But if the fussiness is very outer limits, have you checked in with your pediatrician to be sure you're not dealing with something additional, like colic?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

We've been to the doctor...often. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten rid of us yet. xD She assures us it's all fine and normal.

We do have the sling, but I don't use it a lot. She's very squirmy, and I don't feel safe using it. I'd try to adjust to it, but I really don't want to put my daughter in something I'm not positive how to wearr. Elizabeth uses it sometimes, but mostly it's easier to just pick her up and cuddle her.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, I'd try and get a little more used to the sling, and to get her a little more used to it, and see if that helps.

They're really very easy to use once you get used to them, and bonding benefits aside, they're seriously way more easy to deal with than strollers when it comes to getting around.

They're also safe as houses, I promise: parents have been transporting babies like that for a millenia or more. [Smile]

If it's a Bjorn or some such that you have, also, some babies prefer to be in them facing out, rather than in. So if you've only used it facing her in, might try the other way, as she might squirm less that way.

[ 01-24-2007, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

I feel so paranoid with these slings and carriers... If my arms aren't around her ensuring that she's safe, it feels like nothing else could protect her.

I think another problem of mine with those goes back to when we had to bring the electronic babies home in high school... I had a carrier for the doll, and he fell out of it and...well, he died.

Maybe when she's bigger, I'll try it out again.... If I grow a second pair of arms life would be fabulous.

[ 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: John_Bonsan ]

Heather
Member # 3

Well, your arms aren't around her in a stroller, either.

Obviously, up to you.

But, sling-wearing and keeping a newborn worn pretty much on you in the early months is generally the number one suggested thing by child-rearing experts when it comes to newborns who are hyper-fussy or crying a lot. Or just period, especially in that first month.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Just a quick little update...

I'm ENGAGED. =) I asked Elizabeth to marry me the day after Valentine's day. It was just wonderful, perfectly executed.

So, fall of '08 we'll be getting married. It's amazing to think at that time Amelia will almost be two years old. It makes me feel all giddy inside.

We're part of family/parenting groups in my community. The library has baby reading groups, the neighborhood center has play time kind of things, and we've made friends with other couples, so we can get together for playdates.

I think having her around people is really helping...She smiles whenever people walk into the room, and holds her arms out to them. It's so sweet.

I've gotten used to the sling, but now she doesn't enjoy it at all. I've tried having her face different ways, but she is still squirmy. It's only with the sling though, not the baby bjorn.

Nights aren't fun, but I never really expected them to be. We have given up on the self-soothing thing. I'd rather have her feel comfortable coming to her parents for comfort than feeling she has to comfort herself.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.