Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » read the article but still confused about chances

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: read the article but still confused about chances
Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Bahdahboomdei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are my chances of being pregnant if we had sex, (vaginal intercourse) unprotected with not an entire ejaculation into the vagina?
He pulled out but he said something like he should have pulled out two pumps before he did...
I didn't quite orgasm,,, and we had sex for a little over an hour,,,
I had ended my period a few days before,, i dont know if this could be a factor or not,, my periods are not usually 28 days apart, sometimes sooner, sometimes later,,,
I'm a little worried,,, actually alot worried...
I know,, std's are another thing to worry about if it was unprotected,, i am making an appointment to get checked out,,,, but any help on the chances of me being pregnant would be ...well helpful...

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your orgasm doesn't influence your pregnancy risk.

If you had unprotected vaginal intercourse, with any ejaculation, you have had a high pregnancy risk. To boot, you had STI risks.

Was this a recent risk? if it has been less than 120 hours since this risk, you can use emergency contraception to drastically reduce your risk of pregnancy.

Can I also ask if you're having troubles setting limits and boundaries with your partner in using birth control? If so, want some help?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahdahboomdei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was last night,,,
I thought about the emergency contraceptive, but i also thought it might be considered a mini abortion,,, imean if the egg and sperm already met,,, i dont know how long that takes to happen,, if it hasnt happened yet then i'll deffinately do that.
No no trouble setting limits, we both didnt really plan on anything happening, really, it was unexpected and niether of us gave it a thought until afterwards,, and then he asked me if i was going to take the pill,,,
Would my ending my period a few days before have anything to do with it? I mean to have a fertilized egg, the egg has to be ready right? Or is it still possible that it could have been fertilized? I'm getting nervous

Posts: 52 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency contraception will have no effect if an egg is already fertilized; the "mini abortion" effect is a myth. It prevents pregnancy just like any other contraceptive.

Sex during any time during your cycle holds a risk of pregnancy. Obtain EC and get screened for STI's as soon as you can.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be as clear as possible, Plan B works like the birth control pill works: it works to prevent fertilization and implantation.

If you don't have an issue with that, there's no sensible reason to have one with this.

Also, per the readiness of ovum, ALL a woman's ovum are ready and matured by the time she enters puberty: they are just released one each cycle. But they're all already ready.

(And per the limits, sex doesn't "happen." People choose to go forward with it. So, if you both chose to do so without talking about birth control and you did not want to become pregnant? That's a boundary-setting issue, since pregnancy? Totally a boundary issue. And it sounds like he HAD thought of it:he took for granted you'd just go get EC, which really isn't cool, especially since it's not as effective as birth control used in advance, like a condom.

Don't suppose he offered to help pay the tab for it either, since it's not cheap? Or give you a ride to go get it?)

[ 09-26-2006, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bahdahboomdei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend though that was three months pregnant,, she took the pill then and it aborted her baby...
I feel that life begins with conception,,, even though many fertilized eggs dont actually make it to implantation,,,
I know i was very stupid in this.. i regret it,,,
I dont know what to do now,,, he did offer to pay for it btw...
But i see what you're saying,,, we should have used a condom,,, much cheaper too...
Thinking about it ,, i am pretty sure he ejaculated part way inside,
I didnt know what it was, i have never had unprotected sex before this,,, it feels better, but deffinately not worth it...
I want to use the pill, but i'm just not able to if the egg has already been fertilized,, i couldnt do that,,, could it have already been?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hun, you're confusing two things. What youre friend had was likely a medical abortion. Those pills were then prescribed by a doctor specifically for that purpose.

Plan B, however, is not an abortion pill. It can only prevent pregnancy if fertilization has not taken place yet. So it does not matter whether or not you can 'tell' whether fertilization has happened because the EC could not abort a pregnancy. It is not designed to do that.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

but the plan b site said that it could prevent a fertilized egg from becoming implanted,,, after implantation it cant do a thing...
All's i wanna know is if there is a possiblility that it is fertilized,,, and how to find that out if no one here can tell me...
I know i'm prolly frustrating you guys, but its scary being in this position,,,,

Bahdahboomdei
Activist
Member # 28429

also how can i get the pill??? just in case
Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, Plan B works like the birth control pill. It works to prevent BOTH fertilization and implantation. So, in some cases, yes, it may prevent a fertilized egg from implanting.

Just understand that there is a reason why, medically, a pregnancy is not considered such until BOTH events have occurred: in nature, even when we do nothing to interrupt the process, our bodies will often NOT implant a fertilized egg, and we will never know that even hapened. It's believed via study that about 50% of fertilized eggs never implant on their own. This is why fertilization alone is NOT counted as a medical pregnancy: it isn't one. A fertilization alone will not result in a pregnancy.

Obviously, you have to make this choice for yourself. But I'd just suggest -- especially given that if you want to do this, you have got to do so NOW -- you spend more time thinking about if you're ready to manage a pregnancy and parenting, adoption or abortion right now or not, and make your choice based on THAT.

In terns of getting Plan B, you can call into either your general doctor, your gynecolost or go into a Planned Parenthood, other women's clinic or an urgent care to get it. Just do that TODAY if you are going to do it, because it becomes less effective the closer you get to the 120 hour mark, at which time it will no longer work.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.