Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Can the results be trusted?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can the results be trusted?
nirvana7
Neophyte
Member # 30578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nirvana7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! I had sex with my boyfriend on the 12th of August, with no protection. However, I was on the second day of my period and he did not ejaculate inside of me or around me. I know the percentage of women who get pregnant on their period is low, but I went ahead and took a pregnancy test last Monday just to be safe, since I would have been 3 weeks since the risk. The results came back negative, but I went ahead and took another one today. I got another negative result, but I was just curious as to how reliable you think these results can be. I have an unusual 5 week cycle. It's regular, but just 5 weeks long. It's a genetic thing, I suppose because most women on my mothers' side of the familly are the same way. I just was wondering if you thought this might have any effect on the results, or if I should trust the two negatives?
Posts: 33 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you follow the instructions with the test and use it correctly, home pregnancy tests are incredibly accurate (and accurate as early as 10-14 days after a risk, which means when you took the first test, it was enough time to wait to get an accurate result), and false negatives are simply not common.

I'd say it's safe to assume you are not pregnant.

(How are you two on your STI screenings, by the way? The risk you had would have presented much higher STI transmission risks than pregnancy risks)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nirvana7
Neophyte
Member # 30578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nirvana7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh everything's great on the STI spectrum...no worries at all there!
I'm not even supposed to get my period until a week from today, but I was afraid that if I didn't at least take one and give myself some peace of mind, my period would be later and make me even more nervous. Thanks so much for your help though! It really does put my mind at ease.

Posts: 33 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nirvana7
Neophyte
Member # 30578

I took a final test last Wednesday, and got another negative result...so my mind is pretty much at rest about the pregnancy scare. However, I'm still sorta concerned because my period never showed up this month.
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stressing out about anything (including a pregnancy risk) can delay a period. For more info on that, check out MIA or Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nirvana7
Neophyte
Member # 30578

This Saturday will make 7 weeks since my last risk. I know pregnancy hormones peak between the 6th and 8th week of pregnancy, so would it probably be a good idea to take another test this weekend if my period still doesn't show up?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With multiple negative tests, and a fairly low risk to begin with, another test really isn't necessary, but if you feel better taking one, by all means do so. There's definitely no harm in spending $10 for the peace of mind.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nirvana7
Neophyte
Member # 30578

I keep having these light reddish brown places show up in my underwear at different times during the day. I even noticed a slight bit of blood yesterday, but I think I may have a tear caused from another inicident about a week ago (with no risk whatsoever, so I'm not concerned about that aspect), so could that be what the spots are from? Or could it be pregnancy spotting?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be just general old run of the mill irregularity or mid-cycle spotting (An abrasion from a week ago should not be bleeding now).

And based on when your risk was, I'm not sure what you mean by pregnancy spotting - you shouldn't be seeing unexplained bleeding when pregnant, and to top that, you've had multiple negative tests and a low risk, like has been said.

So, like Karybu said, if it would make you feel better, you can test again, but there's really nothing else we can tell you differently concerning your risk.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nirvana7
Neophyte
Member # 30578

You guys were right on target! I guess all the stress from my exams delayed my cycle a bit, but my period arrived earlier this weekend (with all the usual annoyances, but I was quite grateful this time!) Thanks so much for all your advice! It eased my mind so much to know that I could come and talk and get some comforting advice.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.