Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Ok so here's something ironic . . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ok so here's something ironic . . .
thesmall001
Neophyte
Member # 28305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thesmall001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

A few months ago i asked here about wanting to be a father at a young age, i was assured by people here that it's a bad idea, mainly, because of the requirements that a child needs (time, attention, money etc.)

Recently; Dean, my good friend for several years, has found out that his girlfriend is pregnant, they are both 17.

He assures me they have always used protection and I belive him.

Well the ironic thing is . . .

They don't seem to be having any trouble with it X-S.

He's going to continue school (where he is already reciving benefits for attending furthur education) and he already has a job.

She has decided to not try for anymore education (having finished her GCSE's)and she intends to keep the baby.

Just a little irony i thought i'd share with you lol.

--------------------
One thing you have to understand about me is that there is nothing about me you can understand. See what I mean.

Posts: 22 | From: Kent, England - South East of London. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, they're both going to be 35 before the child goes to college and their lives can begin again - that's assuming they have just one. And they won't have had any teenage life. You only live once. [Smile]

P.S. Unless you believe in reincarnation (I'm not sure either way at the moment. I believe there is a 'next life', but I'm not sure if it's in the same world.)

[ 08-17-2006, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, she's still pregnant. Yes, that brings changes in of itself, but nothing like how it is to have a living being right in front of you, demanding some form of attention near 24/7.

I wish the best for your friend and his girlfriend. Some people really do okay when they have children young, and I hope they can find a way of doing so.

My own sis got pregnant at 16, and she's doing fine with everything. But it did mean giving up a lot of the stuff she wanted to do, and it's caused a lot of problems between her and her now-fiancee. They're both delaying their education, and it's hard to find a workplace that'll be understanding of their situation.

My point is, it's too soon to make the all-clear call. Check in on them 3 months into their child's life, and ask how well they're handling it all. Chances are, they'll tell you they couldn't have imagined the changes it brought. [Smile]

[ 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thesmall001
Neophyte
Member # 28305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thesmall001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You make some good points and luckily since i'm 2 years younger, by the time they need a baby sitter i'll be looking for a small job :-D

--------------------
One thing you have to understand about me is that there is nothing about me you can understand. See what I mean.

Posts: 22 | From: Kent, England - South East of London. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The thing is, she's still pregnant.
Of course, what I meant was that this doesn't mean that having children at 17 is a great idea.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how this is ironic.

First of all, your friend isn't the one who's pregnant, so his stresses at this stage of the game are miniscule at best.

It's also typical, however difficult pregnancy can be, for the early parts to be relatively easy. As time goes on, it gets tougher.

Suffice it to say, after a baby is born, chalenges and stresses increase exponentially. When your friends girlfriend hasn't gotten a full nights sleep for six months, ask her how she feels. Several years down the line, talk to them both: to your male friend supporting a family on one income -- if they've even managed to be able to do it that long, or he's even still around full-time -- to his girlfriend in tossing aside her education. Twenty years from now, ask them both about it.

We've got young adult parents who have posted here and talked about their experiences: feel free to dig around and read them. While you'll find plenty of them down with their choice and loving their kids, you're hard-pressed to find a one, especially a few years down the line, who's going to tell you everything is and was hunky-dory.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.