Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Could I Be Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I Be Pregnant?
CollegeCutie19
Neophyte
Member # 30312

Icon 11 posted      Profile for CollegeCutie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a practicing Catholic and promised God and myself that I'd wait to have sex til marriage. Everyone who knows me knows that this is a strong believe of mine. My boyfriend,20 and I,19 have been going out for one year and six months. Through out that time, we've fooled around and recently started "dry humping". This past week, my period ended on Tuesday and on Saturday my boyfriend and I went into my basement and I think we may have had sex, but I'm not sure,as stupid as that sounds. I'm not sure because I never had sex before so I don't know what it feels like. I'm scared that I could be pregnant because I'm not on birth control and we didn't use a condom. I'm not on birth control because I had planned to wait til marriage, but we got caught up in the moment, and it just happened. I'm confused if we had sex because 1) When he used to masturbate me, sometimes it would hurt, but this time when he used his penis instead of his hand it didn't but I heard your first time is suppose to hurt. 2) I didn't bleed. 3) I don't know if his penis went in all the way to break my hymen if I do have still, because it's small. Also, while we were doing what I think was sex, he felt like he was going to ejaculate so he went to pull out and put his hand over his penis, so the stuff went in his hand but I'm worried if some may have got on me. Plus I know that precum has sperm in it too. I can't call my doctors because I work for my doctor and so does my mom. I could call my gnocologist but I don't know what to say and I want everything to be confidential. Are there signs that I can watch for that I might be pregnant? I don't want to have to wait a month before my next period to know if I am, can I find out sooner? What should I do? Please write back, we are both very scared and so worked up. We just keep crying together and have no one to turn to. Thank you
Posts: 2 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You say you're not sure whether or not you had sex, but could you maybe tell us what you did do? For you to have had a pregnancy risk, his penis must have been near your vagina, with no clothing in between. Did that happen? If so, then yes, you have a pregnancy risk.

If this happened on Saturday, you could still try to obtain EC, but you'd have to hurry. The longest you can wait to take it is 120 hours, but the effectiveness decreases the longer you wait. You can get it from your general practitioner or your gyno. Anything you say to either of them will be confidential, and you don't have to explain anything in detail, just state that you need a prescription for EC.

If it's too late for that, you'll just have to wait. There are no pregnancy signs you can watch out for, as any symptoms of early pregnancy could also be symptoms for a myriad of other things. The only sure way to know is to take a pregnancy test. You can do that 10-14 days after the risk.

In the meantime, you and your boyfriend should talk about your boundaries. If you two want to still wait to have sex, you need to be more careful. Should you decide that you want to get sexually active, you should look into methods of birth control. Might be wise, in any case, to have a few condoms handy just in case things heat up again.

And also, since you two are sexually active, it would be a good idea to look into getting tested for STDs, just to be on the safe side.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, CollegeCutie.
Well, you do have a pregnancy risk I'm afraid becuase your boyfriend's precum, which is produced well before he would have been aware of ejaculating, contains thousands of sperm. And although he didn't put his penis right inside you, if sperm come into contact with the vulva there is a chance of pregnancy - let's face it, those guys are designed to get the job (no pun intended) done.
And I'm afraid it doesn't matter about whether or not your hymen was left intact. The hymen is permeable, meaning sperm can get through it no problem.
You have to decide if you would keep the baby if you were pregnant. Emergency contraception (EC) would have to be taken well before you knew if you were pregnant - within 120 hours at most of the risk. This is an abortifacient, by the way - so I don't know if your Catholic beliefs come into play here. But at the end of the day it's your decision what you want to do.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CollegeCutie19
Neophyte
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CollegeCutie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You wrote "You say you're not sure whether or not you had sex, but could you maybe tell us what you did do? For you to have had a pregnancy risk, his penis must have been near your vagina, with no clothing in between. Did that happen?

Both our pants/underwear were off. His penis was hitting my vagina area and he said it went in but I don't know if it went really far in. I always heard it hurts the first time, why would it not hurt me and why wouldn't I bleed at all? I'm glad it didn't hurt, but since it didn't, that's why I thought that maybe it didn't go in that far.

Posts: 2 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(smileyjoseph, EC is *not* an abortifaciant - it will only prevent embryos from implanting. It won't terminate an already implanted embryo.)

If a woman is aroused enough, then intercourse won't hurt or cause bleeding, whether it's her first or fifty-first time.

As previous posters have mentioned, you have had a pregnancy risk. You're close to passing the mark where emergency contraception is viable but if that's an avenue you want to persue, you should call your gyn as soon as possible. Otherwise, you can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after your risk.

Sitting down and reading over the articles at the main Scarleteen site (alone, or with your partner) would be very helpful in learning about pregnancy and STI risks, establishing and sticking to sexual boundaries and negotiating sexual activity in a relationship. They could be very helpful for you.

[ 08-14-2006, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: wobblyheadedjane ]

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. The EC we have available in the UK (RU486) is an abortifacient, that's were I got it wrong. Sorry, I assumed the US would be the same.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RU-486/Mifepristone is a medical abortifacient, yes but that's something one would take after already having a positive pregnancy test. Emergency Contraception (called Plan B in Canada) is a preventative measure someone would take.

Emergency Contraception is an article worth reading for educating yourself on the difference (and might help you out also, CollegeCutie)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RU486 isn't used for EC in the UK, Joseph, but for medical abortion, just like it is stateside.

Y'all do have EC/Plan B; the most typical brand is Levonelle.

EC in the UK

One more correction, too, w/EC. We have data which suggests that EC works BEFORE fertilization at this point. For a while, it was not known when exactly it worked, before or after, but at this point, studies have come out which show it likely works exactly as many methods of contraception do, which is to prevent fertilization and/OR implantation, more likely the former than the latter.

[ 08-14-2006, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.