Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Don't want to jinx it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't want to jinx it
RKO
Neophyte
Member # 17144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RKO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fiancee and I have been trying for a year to concieve, but no such luck. I finally think I might be pregnant! I don't want to jinx it though. I have an unusual sympton, but I don't know if its a symptom of pregnancy. I have been having uterus pains. Could this be a sign of pregnancy? Hopefully so!
Posts: 15 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was the last time you attempted to conceive?

If it has been more than 10-14 days, you can take a pregnancy test and get an accurate result. If it comes up negative and you do not receive your period in the meantime, you can test again one week later to double check.

Really, going by symptoms is not going to be any help to you, because it's completely unreliable. The symptoms commonly associated with pregnancy can be associated with a ton of other even more common ailments, and not all women even experience common symptoms of pregnancy when they are pregnant.

Have both you and your partner received full medical check-ups since you've started trying to conceive? It's important that you both receive check-ups beforehand to make sure you're both in the best help to start trying to become pregnant.

It's also very important that you've seen your obgyn, not only to be sure you're in good health to conceive, but also to get a good head start on pre-natal care. Your obgyn can also discuss with you natural family planning methods such as charting ovulation so you can have a better idea of your cycles and when is the best area of time during the month to try to conceive.

(And actually, looking back, I see that you were asking similar questions about conception last year. Did you take the advice to go see your doctor then? [Smile] )

And to add, uterus pains aren't a common sign of pregnancy that I've ever heard of. Pains in the area of your uterus or vaginal pains are more likely going to be signs of simple cramps, a cyst, an infection or something else entirely. It's also possible you could be experiencing something as simple as gas pains, they can sometimes be felt in the lower abdomen around where you may think your uterus is.

So, rather than looking for symptoms, buy a box of prengnancy tests! [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.