Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » could i be?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: could i be?
Tiff*Tiff
Neophyte
Member # 30267

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tiff*Tiff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone. Let me tell you a bit about myself before I ask my question. Im Tiffany (or Tiff for short). I just turned 18 and I am engaged and will be getting married next July. I have been with the guy I am engaged to for almost 5 years now. We started dating when we were in 8th grade. Recently I just started having sex. We started on June 18th. We do use protection. I do have a question though. My periods havent been regular for a year now. My cycle lengths since last August have been 35,27,21,18,26,25,29,25,26,36,37,26, and 27. So to me that isnt anything regular. My fiance and I have been discussing our future alot and if we want kids at all and we both agree that we do want them. Him and I both have a steady job and are both fulltime workers. This past month we have had sex. And on day 8,9,10,11,12 and 17 we had sex but didnt use a condom when we started off. I am now 3 days late on my period and Im not sure if I should go by that because my periods arent regular to begin with. I had some cramping on day 22 and 23. I tested this morning with an HPT (First Response because that is the one that I got recommended from a lady I work with because it detects the smallest amount of HcG in urine) and it came back as a negative. My boobs arent sore and I dont have any symptoms of pregnancy other than the lack of my period. I plan on testing again when I am a week or so late because I bought a 3 pack at Stop and Shop the other day. I was just wondering, what are my chances of pregnancy considering my periods are irregular and he didnt actually ejaculate in me? What is the chance of the test result being wrong even though I have missed my period? And what could be a reason for the cramping that occurred on day 22 and 23? Thank you for your help. I hope I gave you enough information.
Posts: 5 | From: ME | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irregular periods don't always mean irregular ovulation, nor do they mean someone isn't fertile.

So, your risks are what they would be no matter whewn your cycles happen, which is to say, you've had them. Without ejaculation, at best, you're looking at a moderate risk, but more likely, a mild one. To know more ably, you'd have to know when you ovulated and have been charting that.

Per the cramping, it can be any number of things. Sometimes cramping occurs with ovulation, sometimes with a hormonal shift, sometimes due to other body issues altogether.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiff*Tiff
Neophyte
Member # 30267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiff*Tiff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I test next week and get a negative, should I retake the test in another week or stop at that one and assume I am not pregnant? I plan to go to the doctor if my period hasnt arrived in 2 weeks or so because that will make it late based on the longest cycle. Could the cramping had been implantation or no? Right now, I am having clear runny type discharge but not alot of it. Is that a sign of pregnancy? If not, what could it be?
Posts: 5 | From: ME | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get a negative next week, given the first one, it's safe to assume you are not pregnant.

I would, though, make sure you're both up-to-date with your STI screenings, because cramping (and a late period) and excess discharges can also sometimes be due to an infection or other condition, and given the irregularity of your periods, it'd be a good idea to see a GYN (as you should every year, regardless) to make sure everything is in good order, period.

*Could* the cramping have been implantation? It COULD have, but that usually doesn't cause noticeable cramping, or anything noticeable at all, so.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiff*Tiff
Neophyte
Member # 30267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiff*Tiff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, well I was just wondering because I read on a website that it said it could cause cramping. Yes we both have had STI screenings, actually he had one last week. I had one 3 months ago and everything was fine. Are irregular periods passed down from mother to daughter.....my mother has very irregular periods. I was just wondering if maybe that is what causes them. Im not having cramping anymore,that was only on those 2 days I listed above. And when that happened, it was nothing major, just like 2 seconds pelvic cramps that only occured a few times each day. I went to my GYN back in April and everything was fine. No tumors or cancer or infection. Im not having excessive amounts of discharge which people say you do in pregnancy, just a bit of clear mucus like I stated before. I really dont feel pregnant at all, Im just alittle curious to know if I am or not. I dont feel as though my period is going to show up anytime soon either, there is no pms symptoms around which there is usually a headache,acne, slight backache, sore boobs and cramps. Is it possible i didnt ovulate this month? what would be a reason for not ovulating? i am not under any stress and havent really changesd my diet or exercise. i walk a bit more (but not by a lot) because weather is nicer and i have been drinking protien shakes (every other day but just started 10 days ago) because my doctor told me to have more protien in my diet). could those have an affect?
Heather
Member # 3

If your doctor told you to have more protein, are you perhaps underweight? If so, that'd be the likliest reason for the irregularity.

No, it's not a genetic issue, save that again, if the women in your family have, for instance, low body weight or low body fat, they may all have had the irregularity for that reason.

There's no reason to assume you didn't ovulate: I'm not sure why you're asking that?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Tiff*Tiff
Neophyte
Member # 30267

no im not underwieght, she just said i needed to add some protein. she said my wieght is perfect for my age and height. none of the women in my family are underwieght. i will test in a week and go from there.

(oh and i have been going some fertility checking and lately my cervix has been open then closed a number of times during the day.... mostly that has been happening recently like im going to be getting my period, but it still hasnt come yet..... what could that be caused by?)

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, the best thing to do in order to know whether you're pregant or not would be to take a pregnancy test. Looking for symptoms of pregnancy really isn't as realiable as a pregnancy test and require lots of practice (and yet this is still not as accurate even with practice).

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiff*Tiff
Neophyte
Member # 30267

Im testing on Wednesday or Thursday. Its just hard to wait. By 9-11 days late on a period if I were pergnant, about how much HcG would be found in urine? First Response can detect 25 but I also read it can detect as low as 15.
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer your question, you might want to take a look at those sites.

http://www.praying4ababy.com/hCGlevels.html

http://www.craigmedical.com/hcg_system_amount.htm

[ 08-13-2006, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.