Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » am i doing this right?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: am i doing this right?
ashy33
Neophyte
Member # 30145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashy33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've been having sex with my boyfriend for about 5 months now, and we have 10 times. we have been using condoms, spermicide insert things, and waiting until at least the 20th day in my cicle. am i still at risk of getting pregnant?
Posts: 5 | From: indiana | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can very clearly say no.

Condoms, when used correctly, leave virtually no risk of pregnancy by themselves. The spermicide inserts are not necessary, nor is abstaining certain days.

You might want to consider obtaining a method of birth control from a doctor, to use with condoms, to put your mind at rest.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashy33
Neophyte
Member # 30145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashy33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the thing is i really can't get birth control from a doctor, so i want to make sure i'm doing everything i can when having sex o protect myself from pregnancy. i do believe that i use the condoms correctly, but i just want to be sure.
Posts: 5 | From: indiana | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as you follow all the condom basics;

http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/condom.html

You have no reason to worry about a thing. [Smile] If the extra methods make you feel safer, then go for it, though be on the lookout for any possible irritation the spermicide could cause.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashy33
Neophyte
Member # 30145

thank you very much.
is there any sort of over-the-counter birth control method you would recomend in addition to the condoms?
i've read all about success rates and all, i just feel like i always hear people talking about how condoms are faulty and it scares me.

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Your over-the-counter choices include male condoms, female condoms, spermicides, and more recently, contraceptive sponges.

I'm curious though, hun, about why you can't see a medical professional. If you can't afford to go, or don't want somebody to know (your parents, partner, etc), there are clinics such as Planned Parenthood that protect confidentiality and charge only what you can afford.

(As for the condom failure rates: it's helpful to realize that it is the most popular birth control method. Some people find it a lot easier to claim a condom broke/didn't function correctly than to admit to others that they weren't practicing responsible sex.)

[ 08-04-2006, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

ashy33
Neophyte
Member # 30145

i don't want my parents to know.
i would go to planned parenthood, but i'm not usre how i'd get there since i don't drive and my boyfriend doesn't have a car. i'm also don't have any money to spend right now. i'm saving for college and any money i earn goes directly to my account, so i really couldn't spend money on pills every month.

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

You have effective pregnancy protection for now, but medical examinations are increasingly important once you're sexually active.

I'd strongly recommend you try to get in somewhere, whether through your family doctor or the clinic, for a full pelvic exam. This ensures any problems you experience get caught early, and help safeguard your sexual health for the long-haul.

You could call your local clinic in advance, tell them your situation, and ask how much a visit would cost. They serve many young people, and are used to answering questions. Here is the site for Planned Parenthood of Indiana:

http://www.ppin.org/patient_info.aspx

Could you take public transportation, or find a supportive older friend/relative to give you a lift?

ashy33
Neophyte
Member # 30145

i probably could. i'm planning on talking to my boyfriend about it when see him today. he's very supportive and i know he will be about this too. he can probably help me figure out how to get there. thank you for the help.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.