Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Vegan?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegan?
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 5 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay..so my girlfriend and I are both vegan. I know she wants to raise our children vegan. It's a healthy lifestyle, and we both think if they're raised vegan from birth it'll be easier for them in the future. I've heard it can be hard to find a pediatrician who will support us if we do decide to raise them vegan. But on the other hand...I heard vegan children get sick much less often then non-vegan kids. So again, I'm here, for input from others. Post away!
Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good place to start would be a nutritionalist who specializes in this sort of lifestyle. My only concern is for your girlfriend *during* her pregnancy--has she spoke to her OB/GYN? Has she seen a nutritionalist to ensure she gets everything she needs during her pregnancy?

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's been vegan for quite some time now, and did speak with the doctor--who referred her to a nutritionist--when she made the decision. Her OB/GYN is aware that she's vegan, and she is taking dietary precautions. She's got all the vitamens, supplements, soy, legumes...all that jazz. I'm just worried whether or not it's healthy to raise children vegan...
Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, some people raise in fact vegan children. And they're perfectly healthy as long as they get all the nutrients they need.

It's even proved that vegan children are more healthy and less sick because they normally take in more vegetables and fruits and are less proned to infections.

But you know eating fries all the time and sugar could mean you are a vegan just as eating vegetables and fruits. But are the both healthy ? No. It depends if you eat healthy or not.

Really, I think for vegan kids it is important for parents to watch out if their kid is not missing big time on certain nutrients but as long as they're not missing on some, it's perfectly fine for children to be vegan.

And you said your girlriend is gonna go to a nutrionnist so it's likely that she's gonna get help to make healthy balanced meals for your children.

Take a look at those sites.
Raising vegan children

http://www.andrews.edu/NUFS/Vegan%20Children.html

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever been on Veggieboards? (Just google it, and the site comes up... I'm not sure if you're allowed to post links on here), but it has a forum specifically about raising vegetarian/vegan children. You may want to check it out and consider signing up.
Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.vegsource.com/talk/veganism/wwwboard.html

is the web address of the vegan board and www.vegsource.com is the home website.

I think it is wonderful to raise them vegan, it has many benefits, also now is good time to find a supportive doctor who accepts and understands your diet lifestyle choices.

http://vegsource.com/parent/growing_vegans.htm is great article on raisin vegan baby from birth.

It is perfectly healthy toraise vegan children, there are numerous benefits and as long as you are doing what you are doing now and getting proper nutritional advice it should work well.

Has she decided to breastfeed or not yet as this is great for at least first 4 to 6 months. Though I hget with twins and first babies and being young may be hard but it is so beneficial.

Take care john, so exciting these twin girls, hope your girlfriend is well?

Liz

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/facts/

this also has great information from vegan diet in pregnancy onward

hope this helps

wish i had been raised vegan, lucky girls you will have

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just google it, and the site comes up... I'm not sure if you're allowed to post links on here
Yes, you're allowed to post links if they are pertinent and are not rated for adults.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.veggieboards.com
Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.