Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Baby Names (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Baby Names
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow congratulations! and those are really pretty names! i'm sure you'll make a great father! you seem very excited already!
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

Congrats on the two girls! Annabel and Abigail sound really cute together.

Do you know if they're identical twins? (can you even tell that at this point?)

As for your question, I would say that if it's not directly related to baby names, start another thread.

[Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if they're identical twins? (can you even tell that at this point?)

Well the doctor said since they're in the same sac...thing..it's a good chance. But I was reading and they can be fraternal and in the same sac. It is called a sac, right?

Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean the placenta?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommy4life15
Activist
Member # 21345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommy4life15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AS for the precious baby girls being in the same Sac its not really all surprising. Now if there are two different placentas, cords (that hook straight into the placenta), or cord that hook together and then go into the placenta well it can all mean identical twins. I would ask your doctor what he thinks the girls are.

You see inside the womb is a layer. On one side of this layer is the placenta and then the rest the baby is in along with the amniotic fluid. Kind of like a chicken egg, how the yolk is in the middle and its surrounded by fluid, and then has a layer protecting it...which is the shell....just like in the wombs of humans....the "Sac" is the protective layer the baby is in. The doctors show you after you have a baby what it looks like normally. I thought it was neat but almost threw up at the sight of it bc I was sooo hungry and tired from labor with my first.

Anyways CONGRATS on your baby girls and the names are adorable (I know I suggested them lol)!!

Posts: 51 | From: florida | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, twins! I'm a fraternal twin myself. [Smile] Abigail and Annabelle are cute names! Identical twins are in the same sac, and fraternal twins are in seperate ones.

I'm sure they'll be adorable. [Big Grin]

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the names Abigail, Annabelle, Julien; I particuarly like that Abigail means "Father's joy", and Annabelle reminds me of the Poe poem "Annabel Lee"
here are some names that I like:

Alanna (female)-------attractive, fair, peaceful
Johnathan (male)------gift of god
Alex (female)---------protector of mankind
Alexander(male)-------""
Cooper (male)---------barrel maker
Liaden(female)--------grey lady
Liam (male)-----------unwavering protector
Asher (male)----------lucky, blessed, happy
Seamus (male) (pronounced SHAYmus)----means?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katherose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I forgot to post my congratulations and best wishes for your future. You'll be in my prayers.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katherose
Activist
Member # 22441

You can also searchthrough last year's list of the most popular baby names in the US. http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_Bonsan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. That site was fun. I looked at the popular baby names from 1880... They were a tad gender confused...
Posts: 103 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Annabelle Rose and Abigail Marie. Rose is my girlfriend's great aunt's name... Only family name that doesn't sound out of place with the name and hasn't been used before. And Marie is my mother's name. I think they sound like wonderful names. Annabelle Rose and Abigail Marie...The daughters of my lovers womb. My loves, my life. The apples of my eye. Daddy's little girls. And they aren't even born yet. I'm going to start poetry again, all of these feelings inside of me... I need some place to channel all of them...
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Those names definitely sound really good, and flow together really nicely.

Once again, big congrats on your two daughters. Sounds like you and your girlfriend will be really good parents.

(and yay to Annabelle! I was the first one to suggest it!! -happy dance- [Razz] )

[ 07-31-2006, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Haha. So many names are out there. o.o It was sooo hard... I'm glad that's done with. Now we're working on the bedroom. Walls are painted... We could be putting furniture in but she wants these cribs. Circular ones. I don't know... she won't settle for anything else. I'm hoping it's just the hormones causing her to be all..picky.. She's never been like this before.
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of circular cribs before, are they recommended, I know when you put babies down to sleep it is best to put them to end of crib so if they shuffle down the blanket cant go over them if they are using one. Not sure what happens if crib is circular!

I am qualified in child development and childcare but ever heard of such a cot!

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Hah. I've never heard of one either! But the google searches tell me they exist... I guess I'll have to order them online... Unless they're harmful. Could the hurt the babies? Well, I don't know how it could hurt them. If anything they look safer. No edges or anything...
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look it up online but I presume they are safe, most equipment for babies has to go through very stict regulations just make sure it has all the quality control symbols (not sure what they are in usa if different to europe) and safety rquirements etc are official.

Dont think could hurt as such was just unfamiliar with them, maybe ask the nurse or doctor at next antenatal class or checkup? About how you use it correctly for best care of babies.

So exciting these twins.... [Smile]

Liz

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Also remember you need two, so even though a circular crib is good according to what it says online for access from all sides and saves room if you have two it can be more difficult it fit two round cribs into a room then two regualr ones. It is also worth bearing in mind babies will sleep in crib or cot until 24months approx. So it is neccessary to adjust or be adequate from birth til 2 approx before they transition to beds.

I would be wary of buying actual cribs online as it is best to test and examine thoroughly in store. Perhaps u can search online for store locator that stocks them?

good luck, anymore questions email away... Edited -- we ask that users not post email addresses, thanks. hope you are all well. How many months is it now?

liz

[ 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

There has to be a store somewhere around here that sells them... If not, it's off to the city... I think circular beds would fit better than square-ish ones. The room isn't tiny though, so it should be enough for two little baby girls. =) And I was reading, some of them have extentions. You move a few things around, pull, and it's an oval.

But really. Are most mothers so demanding about this? I could care less what shape the cribs are... A cribs a crib. As long as it serves it's purpose and let's the girls sleep---it's fine! But no. We HAVE to have circular cribs. Have to...

We're at 17 weeks. They're due around the beginning of January...the 5th I believe. And things are all going well. She is a lot more tired than I expected, considering we're not even halfway there yet. Her doctor said it's normal though. She just needs to..sleep more. A lot more...

I'm afraid to have sex with her now though. Can't it possibly maybe hurt the baby? She keeps telling me it will be okay, but I'm scared to mess something up.

wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

You can still make love with your pregnant girlfriend, just find comfortable positions, it won't harm the babies. Be gentle as usual etc...

Not sure if all woman get particular about things when pregnant. I know I would like certain things for mine in future when I have kids and things done certain way. As long as u can afford them and they suit your needs the cribs should be fine.

Is she getting lots of rest and making sure she gets proper nutrition. when pregnant women require about 250 extra kcals per day, not sure what happens if it is twins.

Has your doctor given you both nutriton advice?

Take Care

liz

Ps sorry moderators for posting email address forgot about that sorry

John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Is there any way---any way at alll----that I could harm the babies during intercourse?

Do you think we should buy two of EVERYTHING? Like there are some obvious ones. Cribs, High Chairs, Car seats, clothes, Strollers- - - unless we get that cool double one...but we'd probably still need singles in case one of us goes out with just one of the girls..., all that stuff. But should we get two dressers? Two changing tables? Should we look for a different play pin since there will be two babies in there? Those toys for when they're older--bouncy chairs...Should we get two of those?

She has been seeing a nutritionist. We are vegan--I posted a board about that and was referred to some great sites--so it's a lot harder for her to get all those extra calories. But the doctor gave her menu plans for each day which she's following to a t. I can't even eat that much food... xD

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, do you know of a good baby store in your area? One where you can buy all the equipment/accessories you need?

They would be GREAT to ask about what sort of sizes of things you need, what are the best items to get for caring for and rasing twins, because they're likely to know their brands and have sold to parents of twins before.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

The only one around here is a Babys R' Us. It was nice to go to for the little toys and things I bought for fun when I first found out she was pregnant, but, when I was looking at the furniture none of it looked...Well let's just say the store is anything but sanitary. Boxes people were carrying out were opened...re-taped with duct tape...and the stuff on the shelves didn't look that nice either. I don't know if now /I/ am being too picky, but I wouldn't want to buy for my daughters. Some stores like Target had a lot of nice stuff, but again, she wants the circular bed and Target didn't have that. Can you refer me to any other chains that I could possibly look into finding around here? If not we're going to have to take a trip out to the city...There's got to be nice baby furniture places out there.
dixiecikie
Neophyte
Member # 29489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiecikie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the twins i raise are 2 and if you can afford to by 2 of everything it helps out but its not nessary, for example theres no gaurentee that u will need bouncy seats, some babys like them some dont and if ya do need another theres always a store, b4 u spend alot on the big stuff like seats and all that make sure u have enough for the babies come u will need lots of bottles and diapers and formula and most of rest while u can the next 9 months will be tough but the next 18 years will be even harder

--------------------
~!~Dont cry because its over Smile for what happen~!~

Posts: 30 | From: southern US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

You only need one changing table really, you can get ones that have drawers that slide out under to keep all the diaper changing stuff in etc.

It is good to get a travel changing mat. it is just a mat that folds up but can be used daily on floor too. Infact when possible it is safer to change babies on mat on floor.

Two of cots,high chairs,bassinets etc. Only one buggy it can be a double one they are fine even if only one baby in it.

If you can get a pram style stroller that converts with age as babies need to be laid down flat in pramwhen newborn for at least first few months. This is essential for optimum respritary needs and spinal development.

There are double ones which can convert positions and ones that face you etc. Numerous ones to choose from. You are in New York right? I'll look up stuff in your area. It is worth a bit of a drive if it means getting what is safe and good quality.

Other stuff like clothes,baby baths,toiletries for babies,general daily stuff you can wait another few months to get.

take care

dixiecikie
Neophyte
Member # 29489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiecikie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh yea and CONGRATS TWINS ARE AWESOME.........at first it seems a lil bit harder but it gets better and u just double the joy of eva thang and double the love and are able to give double the love and its nice to see a guy that cares and helps ......that doesnt happen often congrats and may God be with you and her through this preg.

--------------------
~!~Dont cry because its over Smile for what happen~!~

Posts: 30 | From: southern US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

Thanks for the help. I'm not all that great on finding stores, so anything you can refer me to will be a big help. All I can seem to find is Baby's R' Us, which I am not buying furniture from, and Ikea--and I know their furniture isn't safe. Sure it's nice and all, but a coffee table I got there collapsed, same with an end table and a computer desk.

When do you think we should start buying food? Do they even eat the food or is it just breast milk?

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics and Health Canada all suggest exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life. You'll only need to worry about buying groceries for yourselves until then.

http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/exclusive_breastfeeding/en/index.html
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/child-enfant/infant-nourisson/excl_bf_dur-dur_am_excl_e.html

I would strongly suggest that, if you are both seriously commited to breastfeeding twins, you find a lactation consultant or breastfeeding support group. Breastfeeding is challenging with one baby, and even more so w/ two; you'll defineatly need the support.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

The local library, the birth center, the hospital, and a women's group in our neighborhood all have support-type groups for pregnancy and parenting, I'm sure through one of those we can find something for breastfeeding.

Would a mix a breastmilk and formula be healthy? I was reading about the benefits of both... Would mixing the two be a mistake?

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be blunt, there are no health benefits to formula over breastmilk.

Provided there are no health issues for your girlfriend and the babies, and she's producing enough milk, there is no need to use formula.

Breastmilk is the best food for your babies. There is no need to mix anything into it.

(Some do suggest a Vitamin D supplement; you need to discuss this with your doctor)

[ 08-02-2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellokitty17
Activist
Member # 30069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with what someone else said up there on the first two pairs:

girls:anabelle and abigail

both:riley and ryan

but these two came from me:

boys: joey and jacob (aww.....)

--------------------
what makes the one to shake you down?
each touch belongs to each new sound
say now you want to shake me too
move down to me slip into you

Posts: 74 | From: BOBD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Your girlfriend will need lots of gentle support and loving gentle support in breastfeeding babies. It is best so long as no medical reason why she cant. Hopefully you and her mum will be able to help give this support. Sometimes in hospitals they are not great at helping new mums so they sometimes give up too soon. I am not saying this always happens but it does occur.Lil blue smurfs idea of lactation and breastfeeding support group is great idea.

No need for formula or solids before 6months. though four months is earliest one can introduce solids and this would be the tinest taste of babyrice for example, but i wouldnt reccommend solids befor 5 or 6months is what I was taught in child development degree.

mommy4life15
Activist
Member # 21345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommy4life15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all babies r us are like that. I got my daughters crib from there and it is still standing and hasnt broken or anything. Well except the paint chipped off and I need to redo it from where the mobile was (you need to watch out for that on ANY crib). I also got a $300 crib which was very sturdy. babies R us dont carry circular cribs though.

I believe if you search circular cribs in *your area* then you will find a store with them in it. I found a store and have yet to go to it.

And No not every pregnant women gets picky...its just preference. She likes circular cribs, I like sleigh beds. It just depends on the person.

I do have a question though. How far along was she when you guys found out it was girls? Because I dont know if it is possible to see babies anatomy at 16 weeks gestation on regular ultrasound. I know most doctors recommend ultrasounds at 18-22 weeks to figure out the sex. I myself am getting one on Aug 22...when I will be 21 weeks. I had an ultrasound at 16 weeks just to figure out my due date. I am due at the very end of december...New Years Eve.

Posts: 51 | From: florida | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John_Bonsan
Activist
Member # 29804

I know not all Babys R Us stores are like that, just the one in my area. We're planning on taking a drive out to the City in September though, to look at furniture and such. There were a lot of stores that seemed to carry just what we're looking for.

It was at 16 weeks we found at they were girls, I think.

Smashed Reality
Neophyte
Member # 22911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smashed Reality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can search baby names by meaning at www.babynames.com if you want to look up names with similar meanings.

My favourite boys name is Aiden. It's Gaelic/Celtic and it means Fiery... [Smile]

--------------------
"God made man with a brain and a penis, and not enough blood to run both at the same time." Robin Williams.

Posts: 1 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...you can always go w/ Spanish names*my fav*
:

Girls:Delmi & Carolina
Boys:Jose & Byron
Boy & Girl:Carmen & Antonio

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.